Starting out with birds!

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m runnng out of people and pets who will let me take their photos, and I love so many of the bird pictures on here so I thought I’d take the first step and start exploring this genre. To rather common place examples, but it’s a start.

Can anyone recommend a good place where a ‘bird beginner’ might spend a day practicing with some more diverse characters? In the South East.

Just a Duck or two
by David Thompson, on Flickr

Just a Duck or two
by David Thompson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Google RSPB reserve - there is bound to be one near you. Sometimes there is a charge for non-members but not always. Or your local Wildlife Trust - same again regarding entrance fees.

Google RSPB reserve - there is bound to be one near you. Sometimes there is a charge for non-members but not always. Or your local Wildlife Trust - same again regarding entrance fees.

:agree::plus1:

The SE covers a lot of ground......perhaps if you indicated approx where you are that may help inform the pointers?

Apart from the suggestions above by John the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust in Barnes is IMO a good varied place which will test & hone wildlife related photography.

:agree::plus1:

The SE covers a lot of ground......perhaps if you indicated approx where you are that may help inform the pointers?

Apart from the suggestions above by John the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust in Barnes is IMO a good varied place which will test & hone wildlife related photography.
Gatwick area is closest, but no stranger to travel.

Looking at Broadwater Warren site near Tunbridge Wells at the moment.

Last edited:
The photos are very good.Good detail. Hope you find the kind of location you're looking for. Google is your friend..:)

It's now time to start turning your garden into a wildlife attractive area. It doesn't have to cost a lot or involve to much work just ensure there is shelter for small birds to avoid predators both ground and airborne. A supply of food and clean water must be supplied regularly not just when you want to take photos and you will be amazed at what can turn up even in an urban area. It can take a while for them to become confidant but it will happen over time and in the mean time you can carry on traveling to search out other sites of interest. Don't forget to arrange a nice comfortable position for you and your camera with a good backdrop and light in your early planning.

It's now time to start turning your garden into a wildlife attractive area. It doesn't have to cost a lot or involve to much work just ensure there is shelter for small birds to avoid predators both ground and airborne. A supply of food and clean water must be supplied regularly not just when you want to take photos and you will be amazed at what can turn up even in an urban area. It can take a while for them to become confidant but it will happen over time and in the mean time you can carry on traveling to search out other sites of interest. Don't forget to arrange a nice comfortable position for you and your camera with a good backdrop and light in your early planning.

:plus1: 100% this. ^^

2 nice imges, well exposed and sharp enough although I would consider the rule of thirds next time rather than central.

I'm a bit far north to recommend anywhere but Slimbridge, which I know is a fair trot for you but it is one of the best reserves around. I've only been there once, many moons ago but it is worthy of mention.

I find that going a few miles is worth it. WWT at Arundel is good, as mentioned so is their reserve at Barnes. Plenty of hides and a good mix of birds. RSPB at Rainham Marshes is one of my favourites, and we are yet to visit Arne which has a great reputation, and this is within easy reach of you. Pulborough Brooks is always worth a visit too. The other place we love visiting is Rye Harbour, late spring & early summer you get to see lots of decent birds & their chicks.

For the beginner (which I think I still am) decent hides and on site facilities make it worth going with the other half for the day. I know if my Mrs is happy using her bins spotting the birds, then i'm free to use the camera. Going with another enthusiast is always helpful.

I do tend to visit my local lake at least once a week, and we've had as many as 20 species in one day, so don't forget your local places.

Hope the above helps.

Back