Starting wildlife projects

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m probably not the only one that comes up against this problem but how do you get a wildlife photography project up and running? I find I have a few ideas going through my head, from the subject and types of images I’d like to take. Often they don’t get beyond the preliminary planning stage (I find I have difficulty in finding who to ask or asking them if I could access private areas) and are often over before they really start because they don’t work out as planned.

Take an idea I had before Christmas whilst sitting in a coffee shop (Xmas shopping break). I was looking out of the window watching a bird look around the outside seating area for food scraps. It came to me that it would make a great image especially with out of focus Christmas lights in the background. I went back a few times over Christmas but just found it didn’t work out because either too many people or a lack of birds! I’ve since seen someone else have the same idea and seen the photos they got which are excellent, it now feels like something not to do as it’s already been done and would look like I was plagiarising their idea.

I found I’m not used to photographing in such public locations either, getting a camera out was quite a difficult thing to do. There’s only so much time you can spend hanging around in a public place or with a camera before people start getting suspicious of you. Some places like London parks a much easier place to do that than a park in my local area.

I’ve had an idea for a species project for a few years now but I don’t know where to start with it because accessibility and finding good locations for the species is the biggest stumbling block. How do you go about finding out more about exactly where a species is located in an area or is it just a case of scoping area after area hoping to get lucky?

I think I’d like to do more urban wildlife, if I could get over taking a camera out safely in a public place, as it feels like it should be more accessible. The problem is I don’t have the first idea how to start or should that be where to go safely with expensive camera gear. I guess the biggest stumbling block is me. The fear of failing whilst wasting a lot of time getting nothing or putting myself at risk trying to get a photo. I previously loved spending time on a project as I don’t want to visit paid for hires or me rushing from one honeypot to another. I find projects are quite personal and I can get something that feels more mine and something I’ve worked for.

I’m guessing others have felt the same previously, I was just wondering how others have got over their problems?

When I was looking to get started in wildlife I was also unsure of the best places to go.
I found a group on FB called ayrshire nature, and through joining that group found loads of good local spots for wildlife.

Virtually every photo has been done before so don't let that put you off.
Similarly don't let people put you off ... folk everywhere are taking photos, maybe mostly on phones but even so.
People everywhere follow their hobbies in a way that 'impacts' others ... cycling, running, skateboarding etc, etc, so why shouldn't you follow your hobby?
The likelihood of someone objecting to you is small (as long as you don't behave stupidly) ... the only barrier is your self-consciousness.
Of course you could visit any local wildlife reserves, zoos etc. :)

Virtually every photo has been done before so don't let that put you off.
Similarly don't let people put you off ... folk everywhere are taking photos, maybe mostly on phones but even so.
People everywhere follow their hobbies in a way that 'impacts' others ... cycling, running, skateboarding etc, etc, so why shouldn't you follow your hobby?
The likelihood of someone objecting to you is small (as long as you don't behave stupidly) ... the only barrier is your self-consciousness.
Of course you could visit any local wildlife reserves, zoos etc. :)
I know what you’re saying. Part of shooting in very public locations was that years ago when first starting photography I was photographing the local grey squirrel population I had a run in with a local ‘mums net member’ who basically wanted to know if I was photographing children because ‘I was a guy with a proper camera!’. Sadly we have about fair share of stupid around here who get outraged over the smallest of things. There is also the possibility of assault and theft when out with thousands of pounds worth of camera gear. That’s my biggest worry about shooting in very public locations.

I’ve been to the London parks and it’s probably easier there because the public there are more used to people with cameras. Even a location for otters last year on my local river was fine, probably because the number of photographers was in double figures!

Wildlife parks and zoos aren’t a problem but you can’t easily do a single species project in them.

It’s starting a single species project from finding and scouting possible areas (where to start looking?) to approaching land owners (knowing who to approach) for access that I have problems with.

It sounds to me that you are in a very similar position to what I was in a few years ago. I had a strong urge to photograph wildlife but finding true wildlife seemed difficult. I too am self concious, give me an empty field or hill rather than a crowd any day of the week, I don't like being the centre of attention or drawing it to me, street definately isn't for me. :LOL:

Anyway, I say finding wildlife is difficult, the truth is, it's all around us, even in urban areas, we just have to look. I have a passion for kingfishers, I did the paid hide thing a few years ago, it was a great day out and I would do it again and I came away with my first images of a kingfisher and they were decent too. At the time, though, whilst I got decent images, something didn't quite sit right and I couldn't put my finger on it. Long story short, I walked, almost every summer evening that I could, eventually seeing, then tracking down a kingfisher, it took time, but I got my image. I now have 2 sites that work well and 3 others that kingfishers are at but I've not nailed them yet. I am suprised at just how many kingfishers are around, now I've seen them, they seem to be a lot more common than I thought.(y)

I also built a garden hide, this may not be possible for some but I was fortunate that it was, having a large garden and close to some nearby woods and a river. I get various bird species at the hide, it seems to be more active and varied during the winter. I've seen fox in the gardens too and even deer nearby but I've not been ready with a camera but they are there. 2 nights ago, I was in the kitchen, heard a screeching outside, I kind of knew what it was but only expected to see one but there were 3 tawny owls going through some territorial dispute over the garden but it was way too dark for images.

My point? This is part of my personal experience and the best tools in my box were my legs, ears and eyes, as well as time. Go for walks, watch everything, camera at hand as you never know what is about. I would generalise at first, just looking for wildlife but then if you fancy a particular species, try for that later on. Get some good grounding first, it will take time but persevere and it will come.

There's local reserves too, some more abundant in species than others but the bigger reserves provide ample opportunity. Paid hides are also a good way of getting images although the hide might not be yours, the wildlife is still wild and takes patience, you could easily spend 14 hours in a paid hide, which takes a certain kind of patience. If you're like me though, I feel uncomfortable sometimes in a paid hide as you can be with people you don't know. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not for me. It's a lot better in that respect if you go with a buddy.

I tend to keep locations to myself but word of mouth goes a long way too. There are also wildife groups and there may be a local one near you set up on social media. Bob mentions this above and you can find locations this way, it's suprising how many locations are well known.

We have so many species to photograph, deer, fox, otter, rabbit, hare, garden birds, woodland birds, river birds, insects etc etc, the list is endless, they are there and they will show themselves if you can put the time in to look. It can be a struggle with the time aspect and I'm sure I'm not alone on this, so take every second you can, it will pay off. It goes without saying, always put the wildlife first though, never compromise it. :)

I wish you luck in your quest.(y)

Last edited:
It sounds to me that you are in a very similar position to what I was in a few years ago. I had a strong urge to photograph wildlife but finding true wildlife seemed difficult. I too am self concious, give me an empty field or hill rather than a crowd any day of the week, I don't like being the centre of attention or drawing it to me, street definately isn't for me. :LOL:

Anyway, I say finding wildlife is difficult, the truth is, it's all around us, even in urban areas, we just have to look. I have a passion for kingfishers, I did the paid hide thing a few years ago, it was a great day out and I would do it again and I came away with my first images of a kingfisher and they were decent too. At the time, though, whilst I got decent images, something didn't quite sit right and I couldn't put my finger on it. Long story short, I walked, almost every summer evening that I could, eventually seeing, then tracking down a kingfisher, it took time, but I got my image. I now have 2 sites that work well and 3 others that kingfishers are at but I've not nailed them yet. I am suprised at just how many kingfishers are around, now I've seen them, they seem to be a lot more common than I thought.(y)

I also built a garden hide, this may not be possible for some but I was fortunate that it was, having a large garden and close to some nearby woods and a river. I get various bird species at the hide, it seems to be more active and varied during the winter. I've seen fox in the gardens too and even deer nearby but I've not been ready with a camera but they are there. 2 nights ago, I was in the kitchen, heard a screeching outside, I kind of knew what it was but only expected to see one but there were 3 tawny owls going through some territorial dispute over the garden but it was way too dark for images.

My point? This is part of my personal experience and the best tools in my box were my legs, ears and eyes, as well as time. Go for walks, watch everything, camera at hand as you never know what is about. I would generalise at first, just looking for wildlife but then if you fancy a particular species, try for that later on. Get some good grounding first, it will take time but persevere and it will come.

There's local reserves too, some more abundant in species than others but the bigger reserves provide ample opportunity. Paid hides are also a good way of getting images although the hide might not be yours, the wildlife is still wild and takes patience, you could easily spend 14 hours in a paid hide, which takes a certain kind of patience. If you're like me though, I feel uncomfortable sometimes in a paid hide as you can be with people you don't know. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not for me. It's a lot better in that respect if you go with a buddy.

I tend to keep locations to myself but word of mouth goes a long way too. There are also wildife groups and there may be a local one near you set up on social media. Bob mentions this above and you can find locations this way, it's suprising how many locations are well known.

We have so many species to photograph, deer, fox, otter, rabbit, hare, garden birds, woodland birds, river birds, insects etc etc, the list is endless, they are there and they will show themselves if you can but the time in to look. It can be a struggle with the time aspect and I'm sure I'm not alone on this, so take every second you can, it will pay off. It goes without saying, always put the wildlife first though, never compromise it. :)

I wish you luck in your quest.(y)
It does sound like I’m quite similar in how you were. I did the paid water vole day but the images I got felt very much like everyone who goes there gets those same images too. It did help learning their behaviour and the following year finding a great spot and putting time in to get some images that felt more mine.

It’s quite true about social media being of help. Last year my wife saw a phone photo of otters in a local area group she’s in on Facebook. Knowing the rough area from the photo I went along and I did find them one morning. Sadly after a month it became bit of a circus with photographers (and families) posting up more and more images but also details of times to see them and exact location details which were far too specific. Thankfully the otters disappeared at the start of the new year which I felt was a blessing because it was becoming a bit like a zoo with the number of people, and I was seeing posts on social media that were advising killing the otters because they are a menace to river fish. It was hard being there seeing what it was becoming but on the other hand I was there because I too had found out about it through social media (but at least did some ground work walking the locations, making visits to work out best times etc). I didn’t post any images on my website or social media until a month after they were gone because I didn't want to add to the hype.

The species I have in mind for one project I already know a very good location but it’s private with limited access (and very unlikely to be given any access even if I asked). I know their rough population area but it’s locating specific good areas that I would be able to access to look for them and then photograph. It’s not an easy choice but any means, and I think I now know why no one else seems to have done a species project on them before!

You are right that it’s just best to go out and see what you can see then go from there regarding reducing it down to a specific species. I’ve always stayed away from Schedule one birds because there is always that risk of causing harm. Having seen what happened with the otters I quite like to keep myself to myself and far way from too many others if possible.

It sounds the only way to did it is to research locations, visit them and put the ground work in. It’s getting away from seeing some species as boring and uninteresting. I guess the Red Squirrels, Barn Owls, Otters, Kingfishers, Ospreys are the wow species that make the Grey Squirrels, pigeons etc seem uninteresting to a photographer. It’s seeing those species as far more interesting to photograph.

Last edited:
Access to private land even where such access might support the owner in monitoring it, is not always seem by them as a good idea.

Though not with a specific species in mind, I approached asking about access to a private fishing area and was declined, even though I included that as per their fishing members I was more than happy to "pay for membership access.....but for wildlife watching & photography, not fishing..."

A bit like mentioned above, my thought was to 'walk the area' to learn what was there and then to photograph when possible?

A case of c'est la vie.

It does sound like I’m quite similar in how you were.

Indeed. (y)

posting up more and more images but also details of times to see them and exact location details which were far too specific.

One of the main problems (and dangers) with social media. I never post an image somewhere that somebody is likely to ask "where".

and I was seeing posts on social media that were advising killing the otters because they are a menace to river fish.

It's shocking but true. I've heard of this kind of thing as well. All wildlife is protected but like kingfishers, otters have special protection under the Wildlife Act. Even being near or more correctly disturbing a holt can get people into trouble. Hurting or killing them I would suggest could mean jail time. I've heard this about ospreys too and we get those fairly local. I remember one instance when a guy was bragging about a cormorant he had shot. I'm a quiet chap but I had to walk away from that one.

The species I have in mind for one project I already know a very good location but it’s private with limited access (and very unlikely to be given any access even if I asked). I know their rough population area but it’s locating specific good areas that I would be able to access to look for them and then photograph. It’s not an easy choice but any means, and I think I now know why no one else seems to have done a species project on them before!

You won't know until you ask. Asking like this takes me out of my comfort zone everytime but you might be suprised, I have been, a few times now. They may be grateful of some human presence on their land that might deter wrong doers. Be polite, state your case and see what they say. You've lost nothing if it's a no.

You can't beat a good few walks on your local patch though, it's suprising what shows up, even in urban areas. (y)

Last edited:
I had a similar feeling
[QUOTE="rob-nikon, post: 8591302, member: 49853"

I found I’m not used to photographing in such public locations either, getting a camera out was quite a difficult thing to do. There’s only so much time you can spend hanging around in a public place or with a camera before people start getting suspicious of you. Some places like London parks a much easier place to do that than a park in my local area.

[/QUOTE]

Taking photos in public seems to be acceptable when using a phone camera but less so with a 'proper' camera. I can understand just how awkward you feel.#One of my hobbies is metal detecting and getting permissions isn't as easy as we would like when starting out. For this reason many newcomers beach detect. For me it was daunting but got in touch with another detectorist who was willing to take me. Contrary to what I expected, which was everyone staring at me in disbelief that someone would be stupid enough to walk about in public carrying a spade and waving a funny looking stick about I found that most people didn't give me a first glance let alone a second one, they were too busy doing 'their own thing' to think I was odd. Two or 3 people over a couple of hours came over to us and started talking and seemed interested. My second time out was by my self with a similar experience and I didn't feel awkward at all.

Get out and do it, that feeling will soon go.

With open access and the vast numbers of ROWs around I'm sure you could find places where you don't need to ask permission and, especially 'up north', straying a short way from a ROW doesn't upset or worry most land owners although setting up a hide or going close to/after dark would be better if permission was obtained first.

Rob ,happy new year mate!! :) If you are thinking of selecting one species and photographing it for a period of time,if that's what you mean by a project,than can I urge you to persue this with every fiber in your being:D Mate I wrote you a massive essay the other night,trying to get this out but failed so having a quick second try. Buddy for me sitting on those hares has been so rewarding I can't help but want others to experience similar,with what ever species it might be. . Mate you 're already a really good wildlife tog,I think it will really enhance what you do ,make you think slightly differently about the images you make . I'm going to struggle to get the words out Rob,I think this type of thing is food for your soul, just so rewarding for you personally.

Rob you need a spot where you can largely function un cluttered by other humans. Mate that means asking folk for permission. You need to get to your already scouted spot and ask as a first. If you get a no move on. My hare spot was won by me being acosted on the side of a road. I'll make no bones about it I'm a decent honest hard working guy but I look dog ruff all dressed in camo. Imagine that guy face to face with a country gent in a big old 4x4 two ladies dressed to the nines, gent in crevat( frilly neck tie thijngy:LOL:) medals on chest. the most unlikely senario to get permission from.

I'd known the spot for years never entered the land was too scared to ask. It was only when my back was against a wall that I finally plucked up courage. That said I'd already found gamekeeper told him who I was where I lived. Rob I find this side getting permission very hard,I think of it as an act of kindness,so I make it very clear to the landowner I'll watch his land like a hawk and if I see anything untoward,I'll be on the phone. You need to get this permission lark sorted they can only say no !! But if I can get permission from those circumstances you have to have a chance !!

On the subject of permission this is just strange,but illustrates how it can happen:
last night I was stood by a wall in the road in the middle of nowhere, drinking a cuppa, at dusk. Old bill pulls up,what ya up to mate. Big grin owls watching bro........................oh really let me pull in we'll have a chat. So I got to have a chat with this lovely copper about owls and obviosuly hares came up showed him some pics etc. Turns out he's my local wildlife officer ,ha we had a laugh about him not knowing he has short eared olws on his patch. I gave him my phone number ha and he's off to see me flicky to look at some hares and also he knows a spot. So he's going to ask for me to have permission there. Go figure huh !! I have his number too,so if I spot some bugger up to no good say after our hares, I can give him a shout.

Rob I approach something like this incredibly slowly I echo Dales words hours spent on the ground,is where it starts. I don't use social media alot i'm grateful for it ,but not really my thing I crave solitude with my photography . When I've found a spot I'l ask tractor drivers,use my eye to find the gamekeepers house etc etc anything to make myself known and also find the right person to ask. I move rapidely to the permission stage now Rob because without that I need to look elsewhere and I'm serverely time pressed anyway.

Mate when in the field have your field skills honed for your target species. What I mean is one doesn't necessarily have to get a sighting to know it's there. Use tracking skills Frankly I'll obsessively read everything I can trying on a subject to arm myself so I see what going on in the field rather than miss it.

Rob I was sort of curious how many reaplies you would get. I wonder how many of us actually spend a considerable amount of time just photographing one species It forces one to think about the images,as one builds a portfolio so far and then what?????? Keep making the same pictures or..............................................;)

go for it !! :cool:

stu

Rob me olde mucker did you miss the above Mate I'm cool either way not having a nag :LOL: I just write so damn slow I'd be gutted if ya just plain missed it and it was of use. It genuinely took a couple of goes and bloody ages:D I can cope if it's cobblers not so much if you somehow never saw it.;)

stu

Rob me olde mucker did you miss the above Mate I'm cool either way not having a nag :LOL: I just write so damn slow I'd be gutted if ya just plain missed it and it was of use. It genuinely took a couple of goes and bloody ages:D I can cope if it's cobblers not so much if you somehow never saw it.;)

stu
Hi Stu, sorry I did miss it. Thank you reminder and the long reply, it’s very helpful.

Regarding my initial idea, sadly the cafe has closed so there is no longer the food source for the birds anymore. To be honest the idea was pretty out there as after a couple of trips I’d really worked out it was far too public. The place in question was a indoors/outdoors open area (it has three sides and a roof but one end is open to the elements) inside part of a regional shopping centre. It was really far too public and with security around too it felt far too exposed.

I have a few ideas for projects over the next few months. Hoping to try for Otters, Hares and Little Owls. Later in spring I plan to do a GC Grebes project on one of the local country parks. I think I just need to get out, see what’s about and try to get some pic’s. One of them will include trying to get permission from a local land owner.

Rob,if in anyway I can help just ask . Mate not on any level do I really believe I could help someone like you but maybe the hares might give me a chance.

I was was just looking at a couple of water vole images you've previously made, one made on you own another in a workshop love 'em both, it's evident you have skills. The one thing in you reply that grabs me is do you have enough time to focus on that many species?? Sure keep options open but with the constraints we all have on time and the sheer volume of time it takes to really get inside an animal's head as it were,I'd lean towards one or maybe a couple of prime targets. A thought mate

Buddy ask for that permission . It's very difficult for me to articulate to you what having a little special place can mean . It allows you to immerse your self in nature be at one with your subject ,hard to articulate . It takes time Rob I sort of think of it like building a house I'm laying all these foundations that I'll build my images off. It starts with hours just finding the subject then gradually we hone,everything. Each visit brings a little more knowledge. One is more accurate about where a subject will be and when, one learns what they favour to eat at what time of year where their roads are to get from one place to another ie .their habits. One starts hardly making a frame but as the craft improves so does the ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Mate I utterly believe this type of wildlife image making would help any of us at any photographic level. I think it's incredibly hard to start and because it's so hard at first many folks don't persue it. This is a huge shame to me, because what happens inevitably is we do learn we do hone and then suddenly we start making more and more images. . As we make more and more images one gets ever more picky.

I'm back to my hares very soon now Rob, We don't see them in the shooting season which has just ended. It's funny, for most of us just the chance of a distant hare image would be a god send a thing of joy. Yet I'll probably be rollin' around in the mud with one yards away within a couple of visits. Not because I'm special in any way mate just years of learning what works what doesn't. It's a fab place to be Rob worth every second of blank days getting soaked bla de bla.

I guess that's the point of all this trying to get across how much a single species project can alter us as wildlife image makers for the better. When I got my first camera I went to my hare spot I had no permission, and nabbed my first hare image over a gate . It was a little dot center of frame and mate I was SOOOOOO THRILLED. That was it, I'd got my hare image I made what I went to make . Since then this whole new world has opened up before my eyes . I had no idea really that they would accept me let me spend time with them. It's still this thing of wonder Rob ,something so wild being cool with an apex predator ie me. I so want you and others here to experience that,not persay with hares with any species,

seeya

stu

Stu thank you for the kind words on the water voles. You’re right it may be too many to do at once as at present I’m limited to a few hours at weekends. It’s very likely I will choose just one as a project and concentrate on just that. I love spending every September and October following the rut at my local deer park. It’s spending time concentrating on one subject that I love. It’s rewarding watching it develop.

I went out this morning to follow up a lead I had on Otters. I was quite lucky finding one quite quickly. I had a nice 20 minutes watching one fish. It always amazes me how enjoyable it is watching them but also watching people walk by oblivious to what’s right in front of them. It’s weird down south that most walk past a photographer obviously looking for or at something but don’t strike up a conversation about what I’m up to. When I was in the peaks photographing the water voles a few years back plenty of people stopped and spoke to us, and even gave us tips where they had seen them. I guess it’s one of the differences I’ve noticed between north and south, people seem more friendly to speak to strangers up north.

The Otters definitely feels like it’s worth pursuing as a location, and as a bonus it’s relatively close too. If I can put in the time and get some more luck hopefully I will to turn it into a larger project.

The idea of trying some many species is finding one that I can turn into a larger project. I guess in a way it’s spreading my bettings putting feelers out and seeing which gets a bite. Little Owls really depends on getting permission from land owners, Hares to a lesser extent but it would help with permission. Grebes are something I’ve been meaning to do every spring for several years by Ive never get around to getting it off the ground. It’s probably only a 4-6 week project because the idea is to try catching them rearing young. I’m sure I will get around to them at some point but like you say it’s best to concentrate on just one species at a time and try doing it well. There are just so many species out there that I’d love to photograph but like you say it’s much better to do so during a long term project.

Rob.................. a sighting of a hunting otter first trip:cool: !! Mate that's fantastic, good lord I'd be all over them like a rash;):LOL: I've been lucky enough to stand almost directly above one hunting it's a wonderful spectacle and not one that comes along every day either. What a start Rob !!

I'd nab all the permissions you can Rob it's the freedom . Buddy tell the landowner you view his permission as a kindness,take phone numbers make them aware that you will do anything possible to watch and care for both land and stock and you will honor that . Trusted sets of eyes are often welcomed in the countryside. So much rural crime now Rob , I don't think we wildlife guys always realize how useful we can be to farmers etc. They simply cannot watch over all their land at the same time,we can help

Can't believe you got into otters on your first trip that's seriously wonderful:D

Rob.................. a sighting of a hunting otter first trip:cool: !! Mate that's fantastic, good lord I'd be all over them like a rash;):LOL: I've been lucky enough to stand almost directly above one hunting it's a wonderful spectacle and not one that comes along every day either. What a start Rob !!

I'd nab all the permissions you can Rob it's the freedom . Buddy tell the landowner you view his permission as a kindness,take phone numbers make them aware that you will do anything possible to watch and care for both land and stock and you will honor that . Trusted sets of eyes are often welcomed in the countryside. So much rural crime now Rob , I don't think we wildlife guys always realize how useful we can be to farmers etc. They simply cannot watch over all their land at the same time,we can help

Can't believe you got into otters on your first trip that's seriously wonderful:D
I’d say it was very lucky. It was first trip after a year off. I’d followed a mum and cubs in December a year ago and had heard recent sightings/reports of them further down river. I thought go and have a look though I wasn’t expecting to see one.

I’d followed them for about a month as they were quite active and not bothered by people. The problem was things were getting far too busy with too many people waiting for them most mornings so I left them alone. Now it seems there is less interest I thought I’d go back and take a look in a different location.

Otters are definitely more miss than hit as you can’t expect to see them every visit. I’d say I was seeing them every third visit on average a year ago.

Fascinating ,i've been lucky to see them but it was years before making images with a camera rather than painting I know little of them, so I'm learning on your every word Rob . Sure lucky we always need that......................... time with them narrows that need though.

I haven't shared my hare spot with even my best most trusted friends The information highway can be a double edged sword. to us image makers Sure,it allows us to find what we might never otherwise see but it also gives that to everyone else. Which isn't always good for beasties or us I don't really function very well with numbers of togs Rob I chase some owls I found the spot myself just went to the same habitat I stumbled into other owls at. I can see why you walked away. Hmmm the word circus springs to mind.

As the weather warms more togs will come, it's a probable given . Keep stum and keep that within the other/s that know the new location. It might help both you and the otters;)

Rob there was a time when in this country otter researchers hadn't ever seen an otter, A first trip after a year off and a sighting of an otter is really special if this was me I wouldn't see nowt for weeks now so definitely a thing to celebrate. ;)

:cool: Nah it's a great start We have to start somewhere buddy so no nits just lovely even seeing the above and even cooler you sharing the images with us .I already know what you can do there is waaayyy more to come image wise;) nonetheless wild river otter Rob, that's more than a start !! God, I love seeing John's images , but we don't see many images that a midlander can access TFS mate !!

Rob I know nothiin' of otters so this might sound strange .................. be small, be insignificant, be gentle be quiet clothes drab camo , care with one's silhoute goes with out saying. Think of time in seconds not the rush of us BE SLOW. Mate I hope that doesn't sound patronising My biggest failing is being too hasty within a set of circumstances .

If you use a nik with a shutter racket throw images away to let her be comfortable with you and the racket. Watch her like a hawk she is telling you things all the time. how one appraises is so important. Mustelids are terribly bright, I'd love to really spend time with them

I repeat I know little but there is a way in to her world it's just finding it.........................

The again just finding an otter is a much harder bridge to cross!!

Folks will want more images now Rob:p:LOL:

No pressure :exit:

:cool: Nah it's a great start We have to start somewhere buddy so no nits just lovely even seeing the above and even cooler you sharing the images with us .I already know what you can do there is waaayyy more to come image wise;) nonetheless wild river otter Rob, that's more than a start !! God, I love seeing John's images , but we don't see many images that a midlander can access TFS mate !!

Rob I know nothiin' of otters so this might sound strange .................. be small, be insignificant, be gentle be quiet clothes drab camo , care with one's silhoute goes with out saying. Think of time in seconds not the rush of us BE SLOW. Mate I hope that doesn't sound patronising My biggest failing is being too hasty within a set of circumstances .

If you use a nik with a shutter racket throw images away to let her be comfortable with you and the racket. Watch her like a hawk she is telling you things all the time. how one appraises is so important. Mustelids are terribly bright, I'd love to really spend time with them

I repeat I know little but there is a way in to her world it's just finding it.........................

The again just finding an otter is a much harder bridge to cross!!

Folks will want more images now Rob:p:LOL:

No pressure :exit:
Thanks the advice. You are pretty much spot on with what I’ve read so far. It’s a weird one on the location and it’s impact on its activity. The location is urban with plenty of people passing by. I may need urban camo instead of my normal drab green. I moved to Sony around a year ago so the silent electronic shutter should be fantastic in these type of situations.

Thanks the advice. You are pretty much spot on with what I’ve read so far. It’s a weird one on the location and it’s impact on its activity. The location is urban with plenty of people passing by. I may need urban camo instead of my normal drab green. I moved to Sony around a year ago so the silent electronic shutter should be fantastic in these type of situations.

Rob,never advice mate I'm not really that guy, Lol especially on a species I know little about I'll give ya a hand in any way possible though like you would to me,bung some "try this" at you. . The method in the reply is sort of a base start you already employ it leans towards physical stuff,

The insignificant is me trying to convey something deeper,also again a bit off the wall . This will sound silly but I think our head/heads needs to be in the right place, because close up I think animals read us in many ways we don't really understand. insignificant is the best word I can find because it's essentially the opposite to what we are and are cultured to be. It's not natural to us

Buddy have you ever watched a documentary about the Kalahari bush men. I know it's hunting, but their way of stalking their connection to the animals,the land. The way they read everything utterly everything is sort of what I'm trying to convey. To me a brit what they do is plain weird, but I can also see why they emulate a species:it's an emmersion of self in the beastie

Trying to find away of that not sounding silly is bloody hard :LOL:

I'd struggle in your situation above Rob ha "too many minds" from the film The last samurai.......... mind this person mind that dog mind that biker............. mind not focused on subject...too many minds

I don't think you'll need urban camo bar hiding from humans how you move is always more important. Jerky or badly timed moves undo the best camo.

Rob,never advice mate I'm not really that guy, Lol especially on a species I know little about I'll give ya a hand in any way possible though like you would to me,bung some "try this" at you. . The method in the reply is sort of a base start you already employ it leans towards physical stuff,

The insignificant is me trying to convey something deeper,also again a bit off the wall . This will sound silly but I think our head/heads needs to be in the right place, because close up I think animals read us in many ways we don't really understand. insignificant is the best word I can find because it's essentially the opposite to what we are and are cultured to be. It's not natural to us

Buddy have you ever watched a documentary about the Kalahari bush men. I know it's hunting, but their way of stalking their connection to the animals,the land. The way they read everything utterly everything is sort of what I'm trying to convey. To me a brit what they do is plain weird, but I can also see why they emulate a species:it's an emmersion of self in the beastie

Trying to find away of that not sounding silly is bloody hard :LOL:

I'd struggle in your situation above Rob ha "too many minds" from the film The last samurai.......... mind this person mind that dog mind that biker............. mind not focused on subject...too many minds

I don't think you'll need urban camo bar hiding from humans how you move is always more important. Jerky or badly timed moves undo the best camo.
By urban camo I mean normal clothes. The Otter location is very public with plenty of normally dressed people passing by. The Otters should be acclimatised to humans so me wandering around in camo clothes would just make me stand out around all the people who pass. You’re right that drab clothing, low profile and slow timed movements will be needed.

At a deer park I visit I find it strange that some photographers turn up head to toe in camo when the deer are very used to people and generally quite tolerant.

With the recent storms, bad weather and generally busy I’ve not had much chance to get out to the Otters. Sadly I’ve just learnt that it’s kicked off once again on social media. Once again people, including wildlife photographers, have posted photos and giving away details of their exact location One photographer even gave photos and exact location details to an online news website who published those details! That I find unbelievable. As wildlife photographers we should never do that but I guess for some photos published and name ‘up in lights’ is far more important than the welfare of the wildlife we supposedly love. Potentially they have just signed the Otters death warrant as whilst lots of people would love to see them there will be some that wish to do them harm.

With the recent storms, bad weather and generally busy I’ve not had much chance to get out to the Otters. Sadly I’ve just learnt that it’s kicked off once again on social media. Once again people, including wildlife photographers, have posted photos and giving away details of their exact location One photographer even gave photos and exact location details to an online news website who published those details! That I find unbelievable. As wildlife photographers we should never do that but I guess for some photos published and name ‘up in lights’ is far more important than the welfare of the wildlife we supposedly love. Potentially they have just signed the Otters death warrant as whilst lots of people would love to see them there will be some that wish to do them harm.
I feel your pain Rob, we had the same on Exmoor 2 years ago with SEO location being published with grid coordinates next week it was like the M25 car park with cars everywhere annoying local farmers as jammed the narrow lanes, people were wandering into the fields disturbing them to get the best pics when the would fly right over head if you just waited next winter he cut down the field so it was Too short to interest the SEO, not sure if it was done on purpose but based on the amount of problems all the people cause problems I’d not be surprised

I feel your pain Rob, we had the same on Exmoor 2 years ago with SEO location being published with grid coordinates next week it was like the M25 car park with cars everywhere annoying local farmers as jammed the narrow lanes, people were wandering into the fields disturbing them to get the best pics when the would fly right over head if you just waited next winter he cut down the field so it was Too short to interest the SEO, not sure if it was done on purpose but based on the amount of problems all the people cause problems I’d not be surprised
That’s even more crazy giving out grid coordinates. I don’t think some ‘wildlife photographers’ really care about the welfare of wildlife as much as they should. It seems the photo sometimes is far too important.

I also get some would like to inform others so they can visit to see something that many may not see. Whilst it may be with good intentions stating it publicly with no control who gains the information isn’t good. Sadly some don’t have good intentions. I think @Stuart Philpott mentioned this point previously.

Lord it's a tough world isn't it Rob I'm saddened reading your post ahh mate. Yes you are correct I've seen similar with shorties to Adam . I lucked into one site as the farmer mowed that his actions were down to seeing what happened at a second site I then found...purely based on the habitat. the second site was widely published,it's why I've said to you about me not being able to cope in these situations. I had the most ignorant lady tog walk in behind me stick a 600mm lens behind me ear and basically hambag me out of my little hole as an owl approached recenlty. The way folks behave beggars belief, I just about kept the builder in me under control ,thank god . I walked away and I'm not terribly keen to go back either, an ignorant pig of a woman loud as hell.

Rob in an effort to make you smile a tiny bit ,i'm your strange guy:D that might turn up in head to toe camo at your park,. Like the gloves Rob I have one really good set of outer water proofs if i'm out making pics i'm probably going to be wanting to be low. So just don the camo as a matter of course. In many ways I'm too old and stupid to care much what folks think of me but I have probably worn camo as my go to wear since late childhood,so I guess i've also had all the comments thrown at me one could conceive of anyway . It's interesting though what comes back , a rather dapper chap (tog) told me I don't need a face scarf recently bless his cotton sox:LOL: But yeah If ya need someone to smile at ,i'm right here;):D

Rob , a mate wanted to see the hares asked me days back I owe him, a lovely lovely guy It was the hardest thing refusing him I felt awful...horrible But your otters is exactly why I verge on paranoia when we start again with them I think it's 4 years now ,not one person told. It shouldn't have to be like this,but it's the only way I know to utterly prevent the circus happening you and Adam speak of.

Ahh mate, i'm really gutted for you but head up, Little owls grebes watervoles go get something else bro For me it's best you try and grab some permission. Find a good site and then leave all the above ie the world behind . Sites like those otters are always going to be vunerable to this type of thing. It takes alot of time to work things out with this type of project, Maybe somewhere more remote (less people) might be a better use of your time???

Sad reading Rob!!

Back