STAVROS S NIARCHOS

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Last weekend we had a Tall Ship (STAVROS S NIARCHOS) visit Blyth. Took some pictures, which I thought I'd share.

All with the K3. First with the 560mm, next 3 with the 18-135mm, and the last one 3 images stitched from the 12-24mm. Any feedback welcome.

Coming out of the mist. Tall Ship 1 of 4 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Passing the light. Tall Ship 2 of 4 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Entering Blyth estuary. Tall Ship 3 of 4 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Wind power. Tall Ship 4 of 4 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

STAVROS S NIARCHOS moored at Blyth by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking shots and shades are superb. Agree re. number three,not only the low pov but the colouring. These darned wind turbines..I hate them..with a vengeance.

Love the first one especially

All good and show the new and old technologies (?)

Last one is so moody...Love it.

MJ

I like the first one, I'd like to see it without the yacht actually (just cloned out, not cropped)- I reckon it would be a very strong image.
'Wind Power' is a cracking shot too.

Love the first one especially

All good and show the new and old technologies (?)

Last one is so moody...Love it.

MJ

Mark..Yes..it shows the new and old technology but it's not like for like is it. For that you'd need a modern boat/ship..that would be fine..infact that's exactly what Alan has in his last photo... but a wind turbine ??..Well,Ken is pointing out the similarity (I think he is) in wind power for the ship and wind power for electricity and on that basis yes,it captures the contrast but I'm looking at it from the point of view of an elegant sail ship and wonderful shades.

As with most,if not all, aspects of photograph and art in general ..maybe we're both right.

There you are ,Alan…sort this one out ..:D

As a Cornishman with the sea in my blood and a former, now very much so, Electrical Officer in the Merchant Navy, my views on the set may well be different to others.

The low angle of Number 3 shows off the lines of the ship and height of the masts to perfection; Number 2 is very evocative, "Passing the Light" at the end of another voyage; but Number 1 with her looming out out of the dawn mist and the yacht under her bow, which with a little imagination could be a sailing pilot cutter swinging around to go alongside her port side to put the pilot aboard, is one of the most atmospheric marine images I have seen.

To me it falls firmly into the 'Oh! I wish I had taken that' category, thank you very much for posting it.

Thank you vey much @Earley Man . Fabulous feedback. You paint a picture yourself.

Photography as good as the three images I commented on deserve fabulous feedback. I would like to add that if I had taken the first image, by now it would be a 30" x 20" framed print hanging on my wall.

Thank you in turn for your kind words.

Last edited:
Back