Steam train near Goathland

Nice shot..Nice experience for you too if you don't do them regularly.

It's a Black Five 45428 'Eric Treacy' but I don't see any schedule for it on SteamUk .

Thanks everyone.

I always shoot in raw, so I have pulled the highlights back, but you can only do so much. I had the camera in evaluative metering but it looks like I should have used some exposure compensation.

Think you might find timetable on here but even then you might not find details of specific locos. AFAIK this is not main line and not covered by the usual steam train schedules or the usual forums.

http://www.nymr.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/timetable/

However given yesterday's developments this might be the only place to see steam trains in northern England for some considerable time.

Ok..That's 230 miles from me.
I wondered what the issue was and realised it was that SPAD incident involving 'Tangmere' but that was down here but I see the operator came from up north.. I looked at SteamUK and it had written for that Tour 'Delayed by signal problem on return leg' I assume the person responsible will be suspended, at least.

Last edited:
Nice pics,even with the bright smoke,a little bit of exposure compensation might have helped. A lovely spot the nymr. There is a main line connection at grosmont,(this goes upto whitby) where steam trains will access the line when visiting the railway.
(This tells what happened on the tangmere event, beyond belief really.)

Seen it done many times, less so these days, as the chances of getting caught by the 'black boxes' now required, make it not worthwhile the risk for the drivers concerned.

Last edited:
Nice shot..Nice experience for you too if you don't do them regularly.

It's a Black Five 45428 'Eric Treacy' but I don't see any schedule for it on SteamUk .

UKSteam, which I think you meant, covers steam-hauled railtours on the National Rail Network
The photographs are taken on a Heritage Line (North Yorkshire Moors Railway) which is not part of the network

Thanks..Yes, of course.UKSteam. I have it bookmarked so I should have got that the right way round. Mickeldore has mentioned the heritage line a few posts up. .It's obviously the same as the Severn Valley railway..that's not on the UKSteam list either.

I agree, it beggars belief that the AWS system was ignored/reset and the train carried on.

Agreed, that driver should face a criminal sanction unless he has an extremely good reason for what happened (though I can't think how there could be one).

Playing devils advocate, there may have been a fault developed that required it isolating in order to proceed.

What I find difficult to comprehend that with knowing they were without the automatic warning system, how they were not proceeding at extreme caution and having route knowledge of where the next signals were, taking into account the load and weather conditions (which can easily lead to a train sliding forward for many yards, even with the brakes applied - not like rubber on tarmac, steel on steel does slip).

No doubt NR have good grounds for issuing the stop notice.

Playing devils advocate, there may have been a fault developed that required it isolating in order to proceed.

What I find difficult to comprehend that with knowing they were without the automatic warning system, how they were not proceeding at extreme caution and having route knowledge of where the next signals were, taking into account the load and weather conditions (which can easily lead to a train sliding forward for many yards, even with the brakes applied - not like rubber on tarmac, steel on steel does slip).

No doubt NR have good grounds for issuing the stop notice.

The driver overrode the system.

The RAIB has found evidence that the driver of 1Z67 did not bring the train to a stand and contact the signaller after experiencing this brake application. Evidence shows that the driver and fireman instead took an action which cancelled the effect of the AWS braking demand after a short period and a reduction in train speed of only around 8 mph. The action taken also had the effect of making subsequent AWS or TPWS brake demands ineffective.

Unfortunately NR have been looking at ways to restrict/reduce/eliminate steam trains from the mainline network for some time now.

WCR have a reputation for sticking two fingers up to any real or perceived criticism, which doesn't make for a happy marriage.

This might just run and run.

NR have a job to do. Some NR managers see 'private traction' as an unnecessary evil that causes them issues. Others have great affection for heritage. It is not 'steam' per se but often the idiotic things that come with it. You only have to watch from afar as some morons think that to get their picture it is ok to stand close to or on the 125mph railway. Just take a look at the near misses on You Tube.

Regrettably since privatisation, some private railway companies have tried to ride roughshod over the rules that don't suit them. (Cotswold/Advenza, Devon & Cornwall Railways for example, as well as now WCRC). When safety is at stake, the rules will always win. Compared to 30-40 years ago, it is not possible to move nowadays or to use 'initiative' and that is usually where the disparity occurs. Old railway v new railway.

(Even on volunteer run railways, HSE are getting more critical of slack procedures, as volunteers get injured or even killed by their 'hobby').

But the 'big' railway has to make money nowadays and there are complicated (and probably unnecessary procedures) that are in place when something goes wrong. Claim culture. This often will appear to penalise small operators who do not have the financial clout of the bus companies such as Stagecoach/First Group, or Virgin and international conglomerates.

Ok..That's 230 miles from me.
I wondered what the issue was and realised it was that SPAD incident involving 'Tangmere' but that was down here but I see the operator came from up north.. I looked at SteamUK and it had written for that Tour 'Delayed by signal problem on return leg' I assume the person responsible will be suspended, at least.

what has happened as a result of passing a signal at danger is that the company have been banned from operating until they can convince NR by 15 May that they have put their house in order

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/statement-west-coast-railways-suspension-notice

Last edited:
yes, apparently there was a lineside fire incident previously

Back