Steam Trains - HDR

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I was looking at some paintings of steam trains on the ELR today in a gallery in Ramsbottom, so I wanted to try and achieve a similar 'painted effect' using a photograph I took this evening, this won't be to everyone's taste, but I got somewhere close to what I envisioned with this image done using Nik HDR Efex Pro.... The original image was taken around 3pm, so the sun was close to setting, though I did reduce the colour temp to make it slightly more bluer....

steam-train-at-night-4212-hdr.jpg

The "steam" in the foreground looks very artificial.

Bit overcooked for my taste (it's your pic though). There's a better version in there somewhere I feel. Mono maybe?

Agree with Dave really. I like the intent, but the steam in the foreground is a little too patchy and strong, lacking smoothness and distracting from the locos behind.

There's a better version in there somewhere I feel. Mono maybe?

I did do a mono of it first as well as this one.

the steam in the foreground is a little too patchy and strong, lacking smoothness and distracting from the locos behind

Thanks for the comment Toni, the City of Wells blew off a load of steam just before I took this shot.

I like it, but then I do like the HDR look, give me colour any day of the week, it's very rare i prefer a mono version of any picture.

Back