Stephensons Rocket

I've not dabbled with HDR for years but that 1st image is very well executed, like that.

The 2nd one, the screens kill it but what can you do?

I also think the first would make an awesome mono conversion, as well as keeping a colour version.

I like them both.

I don't mind modern stuff in photos of old stuff. It's not as if it's in an original setting.

Good quality shots. Pretty amazing when you think of what we have today.

I am not really in to HDR photos but these look really good.

Not too sure about the leaning back of the front wheel in the first (due to the UWA perspective) but like the leaning forward effect the same perspective gives the second!

A couple of images of Stephensons Rocket. Currently on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. (Yes I know they are HDR)

Rocket by Degsys Pics, on Flickr

Rocket2 by Degsys Pics, on Flickr
like the no 1
what hdr technique and software do you use...i cant seem to get anywhere with my oloneo

@mrtoad
The images were created from a 5 shot bracket going from -2 to +2 stops exposure. (I use a gorillapod to secure the camera).
I took them into Photomatix to do the merging and tonemapping. I cannot remember what setting I use but I tend to go through the presets and choose one of them.
I then took them into Photoshop and adjusted clarity, vibrance etc. I then cropped and sharpened. Occasionally I will use Nik Color Effect colour contrast but I don't think I did on this occasion.
Hope this helps.

@mrtoad
The images were created from a 5 shot bracket going from -2 to +2 stops exposure. (I use a gorillapod to secure the camera).
I took them into Photomatix to do the merging and tonemapping. I cannot remember what setting I use but I tend to go through the presets and choose one of them.
I then took them into Photoshop and adjusted clarity, vibrance etc. I then cropped and sharpened. Occasionally I will use Nik Color Effect colour contrast but I don't think I did on this occasion.
Hope this helps.

will try that...i need to pick a subject which has a good range of dynamics to get that span of 4 stops...+/- 2 aside the middle correct exposure
i tried it today in the garage with the door open but it was so dull....it wasnt successful
cheers
geof

Really like the first, am not an hdr fan but feel it suits the image very well.

regards

Nigel

About 45 years ago, when I was a boy. The railway museum was on Clapham High road and I’m sure this used to be on display outside the entrance. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

This is the original Rocket. It is on loan to the Museum of Science and Industry. I think it is based in a London museum (not sure why given it ran from Manchester to Liverpool)
This is part of the history of rail transport which started in the NW of England.

Last edited:
I wonder why he named it rocket?
What where rockets in them days
Then again,they probably had fireworks
Just thinking aloud

Back