Stevesc's 52 2021 - Week 9 Reflections

Week 0 - nearby

Week 0 - nearby by Steve, on Flickr

Not sure what to do for this theme, wanted to get out and do something in the area but ran out of time. This is a phone picture of a sound desk that I was using the other day.

With the change in covid restrictions this week I'm maybe a bit overstreched at the moment, with home schooling 3 kids and both my wife and I working I may be posting late in the week for the next month or so. I'll try and comment where I can but will catch up once the kids are back at school.

I like the Pov you have chosen. Don't stress about posting in time if you are stretched its more important to enjoy it especially with everything else going on.

If you move it rapidly up and down with the mouse wheel while keeping your eyes still, the numbered tracks seem to move in and out.

I like the composition you have chosen as well, and the B&W treatment works very well.

Don't stress too much - homeschooling and your family is definitely the priority!

Hi there Steve!

An immediately likeable image. I'm a sucker for things with knobs, dials, numbers. :)

Nice MIX of tones there ;)

• Haha
Reactions: LC2
Nice capture and POV. The processing gives it a vintage feel.

Hi Steve

I like the low down pov, but the ocd in me does not like the angle that the lines are at, I know you used a phone and they are not easy to get things lined up.
I like the gitty appearance of the image which matches the age of the desk.
Well done on a different shot for nearby. 1st Image of the 52.

Pete

Thanks everyone appreciate the comments. The desk actually isn't that old, it is a Yamaha digital desk but processed it like this as I thought it added a bit more character to the image, miss using an analogue desk but the digital does have some advantages.

Fruit
Nice lighting. There maybe a little too much dead space on the left, but a good start to this year.

As someone who reads left to right, I would prefer the photo rotated 180 degrees but that just me being a pedant. I really like this. It's moody and atmospheric.

Works well, perhaps a bit grainy or OK I know it's a phone pic.

Liking the placement in the frame, it could be rotated but I like it as it is.

Great shot from a phone. I don't mind the placement but would have the apple lower in the frame.

Its got an impressionist feel to it

I think it would look better with the apple a little lower but that is just personal preference

I like the composition - as Tim said, unconventional is good!

A little soft for me I'm afraid though - a crisp apple like that should be crisp in my book...

Thank you for all the comments, I do really appreciate them and hopefully when the homeschooling/work commitments slow down I'll be able to respond and comment on everyone else's.

This week I took the camera out when I went down to the local park for some fresh air with my youngest. Took this one with the theme in mind. Dissapointed that I cut the top of her head but otherwise happy for the theme,

A muddy walk by Steve, on Flickr

Have a good week.

... otherwise, very nicely framed, with disappearing path.

Yep - works well apart from the cropped head.

Dirty
I like the curving path, it gives shape and a way to move your eye through the photo. Good dirty path, it fits the theme well.
Your daughter has got some very long hair, it must take ages to wash and dry.

I like the path curving out of site, shame about the head but as Tim said an excuse to go out again

Thanks everyone. Yes it is a good excuse to go out again but we're finding it harder to get out with the kids in this lockdown with the weather being so wet/cold.

Had a couple of busy weeks with not a lot of chance to get out but managed to spend half an hour out today and caught up with the two weeks that I missed. Will try and get something done by Thursday for this weeks theme.

Week 3 - Rocks
Rocks by Steve, on Flickr

Wellington Rocks in Tunbridge Wells. In the summer these rocks are covered with kids playing and climbing on them, much quiter today. I included the bushes in the front to try and add a bit of colour and interest to the image.

Week 4 - Tall

Avenue of trees by Steve, on Flickr

These trees are on Tunbridge Wells common, just a little walk from the rocks and I had planned to take these for the theme. An added bonus was the lady at the end, who I think was taking photos from the other end. I hope I didn't spoil her shots but I liked the way she gives scale to the trees for the theme.

Those rocks look like a man made climbing frame ....great for make believe games.

The trees I would be tempted to crop so that the second tree on the left formed a framework around the photo, I think it makes them look taller. Great to have the lady in view it really add to the perspective for the topic.

2 nice images Steve, and yes "she" certainly adds perspective to the whole scene

Snow covered rocks are nice.

The tall trees with the distant red figure is an absolute beaut

Those rocks look like a man made climbing frame ....great for make believe games.

The trees I would be tempted to crop so that the second tree on the left formed a framework around the photo, I think it makes them look taller. Great to have the lady in view it really add to the perspective for the topic.

Thanks Susie, I had thought about cropping it there but couldn't get it to work on a standard ration. After your comment I've had a go at just bringing in the left hand side and not worrying about the ratio. I think it works as it also brings the lady to the middle of the picture.

avenue of trees cropped by Steve, on Flickr

Week 5 Snappers Choice

Snowflake 3 by Steve, on Flickr

Years ago I started following this account on flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/chaoticmind75/) and was fascinated by his snowflake pictures. I've always wanted to have a go so this week as we actually had some snow and this theme I decided I would take the plunge. So between homeschooling and work I popped into the garden with the camera and macro lens for a quick 30 mins of snapping. For my first attempt I am reasonably happy, would have liked slightly more DOF but I was already at 800iso which for my camera is on the edge of being to noisy and being handheld was limited on shutter speed so the dof had to be sarificed.

If the snow stays around for a bit I might get another go but am posting for now to stay up to date.

I will also try and start commenting on a few others posts over the next few days.

I love your snowflake! The mono conversion works really well. We've barely had any snow here unfortunately.

I wouldn't have thought to crop, but I agree the tall image is improved and I like the red coated person at the end of the trees. Good leading lines to her.

The rocks do look like a great playground for the kids. It's a shame there wasn't one playing so we could see the scale, but it does look a bit cold!

Back