Stevesc's 52 2021 - Week 9 Reflections

Clever captures for film. I expect your son did think it was cool. My children have never wanted to be photographed either, annoyingly.

Excellent idea for half and well executed.

I like the processing and the dof. Makes an interesting image.

Half ...a very pleasing, intriguing image.

Clever captures for film. I expect your son did think it was cool. My children have never wanted to be photographed either, annoyingly.

Excellent idea for half and well executed.
Thanks.

I like the processing and the dof. Makes an interesting image.
Thanks

Kind of interesting how the left is more in focus than the right, even though they are in the same plane.
I noticed that, think I must have been just slightly off from being straight on but not sure.

Half ...a very pleasing, intriguing image.
Thanks

Week 9 - Reflections

Had an idea for this and my daughter again kindly volunteered, straight from the camera it wasn't really what I had envisioned so it has been fairly heavily edited tonight, happy for any comments as I'm not sure if I've gone to far in some places.

reflections by Steve, on Flickr

I think it works ok Steve, what was your vision?

Obviously hits the theme, composition looks ok and the processing is heavy but not overly so. Very much a "look".

Thanks for the replies. I had something a bit more like this in mind https://images.app.goo.gl/b23JCFYW3hCmxEfJ6 not a direct copy but that sort of feel.

I took the photo during a family walk and afterwards wasn't really happy with the background and overall composition I had acheived. The finished photo has been cropped and edited. I'll try and post the original photo tomorrow as I'm on the phone tonight and haven't got it on here. (edited to add original below)

This is the original shot for comparison:

untitled (97 of 102) original.jpg

Last edited:
There's a big difference in the one in the main thread and the SOOC version. I like the processing as it gives it more of a dreamy, 'reflective' look.

I think the one SOOC works for the theme, but the additional processing definitely adds a lot to it. Good job - IMHO.

The one you liked though, and linked to, isn't that refraction?

There's a big difference in the one in the main thread and the SOOC version. I like the processing as it gives it more of a dreamy, 'reflective' look.

I think the one SOOC works for the theme, but the additional processing definitely adds a lot to it. Good job - IMHO.

The one you liked though, and linked to, isn't that refraction?

Thanks for the feedback on the edit. Yes, the first one is a refraction, I was not going to try and get an exact copy but something similar in style. I only had that in mind before we left and didin't have it for reference when taking the shot plus with the double mirror it was never going to be the same but I probably needed a cleaner/lighter background. I do like how it's turned out though, I have also been having a little play with a B&W conversion which I might post tonight.

Edit for me Steve, but I think I would have also cropped out the hat& partial face
right of image.

Thanks, not sure if you are looking at the picture I originally was using as an idea rather than the one I took? There isn't a hat & partial face in the one I took here
This is the one I meant Steve

<REMOVED>

Last edited:
This is the one I meant Steve

View attachment 311437

That's not my photo, it's one I was using as an initial idea for the theme and sort of what I had in mind when I went to take mine. I've taken the picture off my comment above to avoid confusion but left the link on so others can see what I initially had aimed for. The one I have put in for the theme is this one:

reflections by Steve, on Flickr

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi Steve, I think getting rid of the background improves the photo no end. clever idea and thumbs up to your daughter for being the model.

Pete

Yep that works really well :)

Absolutely brilliant idea, nicely done. I wouldn't have noticed the smudges .......

Hi Steve, I think getting rid of the background improves the photo no end. clever idea and thumbs up to your daughter for being the model.

Pete

Thanks, I do need to get better at checking backgrounds before taking photos rather than having to sort it out in editing!

Yep that works really well :)
Cheers (y)

Absolutely brilliant idea, nicely done. I wouldn't have noticed the smudges .......

Thanks, I didn't do the best job of getting rid of them, found it hard with them being so close to her hand. As mentioned above, I should get better at checking backgrounds before taking the photos.

Reflection
I like the original (as in the edited one). For me the pp works well and I like the concept.

That works really well and I particularly like that the mirror has two parts and you've captured her features in each half. I like both versions

Half
Nice close up image with processing to suit, the OCD in me would have rotated the ring to hide the join

Reflection
The editing works well, but I can't get my head around the positioning of the mouth, I think because in real life it's near the nose it appears a very elongated face. Personally it it was two body parts that are near each other in real life it wouldn't confuse (me!) as much

Back