Stevesc's 52 2021 - Week 9 Reflections

The snowflake is quite amazing. I've never seen that before and am now fascinated.

Rocks
I can see why they're covered in kids in warmer weather.

Tall
A nice avenue of tree's.

Choice
I've tried and failed a few times at snowflakes. You've got a lovely example there.

That's really impressive - the DoF works for me personally. Pretty impressive to be able to go out and get the photo before the flake melted!

Hope you don't mind me chipping in even though I haven't done a 52 for some years, I always liked your work Steve so when I saw your thread I though I'd take a look and it doesn't disappoint, the apple is great, as is the picture of your daughter on the path,

I love your snowflake! The mono conversion works really well. We've barely had any snow here unfortunately.

I wouldn't have thought to crop, but I agree the tall image is improved and I like the red coated person at the end of the trees. Good leading lines to her.

The rocks do look like a great playground for the kids. It's a shame there wasn't one playing so we could see the scale, but it does look a bit cold!

Thanks, it's the first snow that we've had for a couple of years so the kids were very excited.

The snowflake is quite amazing. I've never seen that before and am now fascinated.

They are amazing aren't they.

Rocks
I can see why they're covered in kids in warmer weather.

Tall
A nice avenue of tree's.

Choice
I've tried and failed a few times at snowflakes. You've got a lovely example there.

Thanks, first time I've tried but I had plenty of failed shots on the card.

That's really impressive - the DoF works for me personally. Pretty impressive to be able to go out and get the photo before the flake melted!

Cheers, I was just holding a piece of black material and tried to get a quick shot of any flake that landed on it.

Hope you don't mind me chipping in even though I haven't done a 52 for some years, I always liked your work Steve so when I saw your thread I though I'd take a look and it doesn't disappoint, the apple is great, as is the picture of your daughter on the path,

I don't mind at all! Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, glad you liked them so far. I don't feel I've been able to get into it much this year yet but hope through the year I'll be able to spend a bit more time on it, some of my favourite shots from the past were as a result of previous 52's so hoping it's the case again this time.

Snowflake ... nice try, needs more DoF but I do understand that had to be sacrificed.

Rocks
I can imagine a few of the kids getting bumps and scrapes on them

Tall
I always underestimate the benefit of cropping an image, sometimes you just need to do it with a non standard ratio too. You never knew the woman at the far end maybe someone in her image too

Snappers Choice
Snowflakes are fascinating, you done well to capture this, some of best macro snowflake image I have seen are by Don Komarechka (donkomphoto on Instagram)

Love this.

Thanks

Snowflake ... nice try, needs more DoF but I do understand that had to be sacrificed.

Probably need to set up flash if I have another go.

Rocks
I can imagine a few of the kids getting bumps and scrapes on them

Tall
I always underestimate the benefit of cropping an image, sometimes you just need to do it with a non standard ratio too. You never knew the woman at the far end maybe someone in her image too

Snappers Choice
Snowflakes are fascinating, you done well to capture this, some of best macro snowflake image I have seen are by Don Komarechka (donkomphoto on Instagram)

Don Komarechka's are amazing.

Great shot Steve. How many times did you have to roll the dice to get this? Or was it photoshop magic?

Excellent shot Steve! Bang on theme, nice use of DoF and very creative with the airborne dice.

For my money, the only tiny change I would make would be to have the two "created" shadows (for that is what I assume they are - apologies if not) less sharply defined. The shadows should grow less sharp edges, but larger, as an object is raised above the table.

But great work!

I like this very much, not least those shadows under the pair are fab.

However, something makes me wish the fifth and nearest dice (die?) wasn't there.

Good work Steve.

Great shot Steve. How many times did you have to roll the dice to get this? Or was it photoshop magic?

Thanks, it's definitely a bit of photoshop. I don't think I would have had the patience to keep going until I got a pair.

Excellent shot Steve! Bang on theme, nice use of DoF and very creative with the airborne dice.

For my money, the only tiny change I would make would be to have the two "created" shadows (for that is what I assume they are - apologies if not) less sharply defined. The shadows should grow less sharp edges, but larger, as an object is raised above the table.

But great work!

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to soften the shadows a bit but they were the actual shadows from the dice taken from the shot with them in the air so went with it.

I like this very much, not least those shadows under the pair are fab.

However, something makes me wish the fifth and nearest dice (die?) wasn't there.

Good work Steve.

Cheers, I had five dice as I had the connection to Yahzee, which maybe wasn't necessary but gave me a few more props to have on the table. On looking at it today, maybe the front dice is a little to close to the two rolling ones. I did have another dice shot but realised when I was editing that it had a six showing on it which would have spoiled the shot for the theme,

Clever clogs shot of the week - love it :)

That’s an absolute cracker of a shot, I wouldn’t even know where to start with setting that up. Top job :)

Really like the dice image, always good to enlist the help of the family too, processing is great too, not sure if it works better without the pencil at the front right

Pair
Really good, there's only one thing I'd maybe take a look at (and I'm being a little picky here), I'd level up the table edge, it slopes down to the right slightly.

Really like the dice image, always good to enlist the help of the family too, processing is great too, not sure if it works better without the pencil at the front right

Thanks for your comments. I thought it would look a bit empty with no props on the table so used the Yahtzee stuff, maybe the pencil is a bit to far into the image.

Pair
Really good, there's only one thing I'd maybe take a look at (and I'm being a little picky here), I'd level up the table edge, it slopes down to the right slightly.

Thanks, although I'm not going to be able to unsee that it isn't level now! I'd not checked before...must remember to in future.

Week 7 - depict a film.

I had two volunteers this week to help with the ideas and photos so I have included both that we came up with. It's very unusual for my son to be willing to be in a photo so his one will probably be a bit of a collectors piece for us in the years to come.

Both are composites again (following on from last week) and although I'm not 100% happy with either as photos it was good time spent with the kids so I'm really not to worried.

Depict a film 1 by Steve, on Flickr

Depict a film 2 by Steve, on Flickr

Both films we have enjoyed as a family, although each aimed at quite different age groups.

Probably being a bit obtuse here but what is the second film?

I really like the Matrix shot, the inclusion of the code finishes it really nicely.

Had you not told us I'd have had no idea about the second shot.... something about a cereal killer? :ROFLMAO:

I really like the Matrix shot, the inclusion of the code finishes it really nicely.

Had you not told us I'd have had no idea about the second shot.... something about a cereal killer? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, The matrix shot had more work and thought go into, although I think it still needs a little more but couldn't decide what.

My daughter is always willing to help out with these and wanted to do the second shot so I mainly did it for a bit of family fun.

#1 ... gone with the wind. :ROFLMAO:

I love it! Definitely one for the family album.

Both very good, and..

I'm not 100% happy with either as photos it was good time spent with the kids so I'm really not to worried.

makes it all worthwhile. They grow up so fast...

I was a bit clueless on the Matilda one, even though I've [been forced to] watch it a few times, and I think that's my favourite. Although the bullet dodge (were you flicking cigarettes at him?) is really nicely done. Just needs a pair of shades and a longcoat :)

Well done to both photographer and models... nice to have them to look back on.

#1 ... gone with the wind. :ROFLMAO:

I love it! Definitely one for the family album.

Thanks

Both very good, and..

makes it all worthwhile. They grow up so fast...

I was a bit clueless on the Matilda one, even though I've [been forced to] watch it a few times, and I think that's my favourite. Although the bullet dodge (were you flicking cigarettes at him?) is really nicely done. Just needs a pair of shades and a longcoat :)

Your right about the shades, should have got him to wear a pair. Unfortunately he doesn't have a longcoat.

They’re both really well done Steve, and as you say a chance to get the family included so that makes them extra special, well done for trying something that involved extra work, not just a straight shot.

Thanks, being half term last week helped as we had a bit more time, back to homeschooling for the next couple of weeks so may be a bit more rushed again.

Well done to both photographer and models... nice to have them to look back on.

Thanks, yes will be a nice memory. Particularly of my son who doesn't like his photo being taken normally.

Film
I reckon you've done a marvelous job with the first one, the second is also good, but the spoon gets a little lost in the background. A shallower dof maybe.

Both clever and well executed.
Thanks

Film
I reckon you've done a marvelous job with the first one, the second is also good, but the spoon gets a little lost in the background. A shallower dof maybe.
Thanks, the background really needed to be further away as it was already taken with a pretty shallow DOF. I agree that the spoon gets lost a little.

Yep that’s a good take in the theme :)

Back