Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

... would rather a lower pov, no path, no shadow, perhaps a crop too! Maybe a B&W conversion would add. But top idea.:)

:) apart from that it's perfect :p. I did try a B&W conversion but didn't feel that it worked, agree with the path though, should have spotted that when I set it up but rushed it to much.

I like the shadows, don't mind the path but a little crop off the top just to the grass would be nice
Thanks, will give the crop a go later. My only concern would be that it might shorten the arms to much.

Nice idea and great lighting, spoiled only by the background.
Yeah, not the best background. I was running out of time for the week and the kids aren't the most patient when posing so grabbed what I could.

A nice shot of the children holding hands which I like, not fussed about the path as it is a blur also like the shadows :)
Thanks (y)

Yep that is nice Steve, I wasn't sure of the crop until I saw the shadow, it works really well mate, and hopefully it did not cost you £5 a head (y)
Thanks, they haven't got to the age where they are charging me yet :D. Sure it will start happening soon though :eek:.

I'm so glad someone went with this idea! I love the shadows and don't mind the path, but agree with Allan that a crop from the top would simplify the background.
Someone had to do it :) There were a couple of other ideas I thought off but as usual I didn't have time to set them up/get the props :(

Didn't notice the path until you mentioned it :bat:

Enough self crit.

Really like this interpretation (y)
Thanks. I'm partly using the 52 to try and make myself improve so have been looking at the quite critically but maybe I should not put it in the comments on here.

Nice and simple Steve. Good use of DoF to emphasis the subject and I also like the way you've given us a glimpse of the whole subject by including the shadows.

Thanks Tim, the shadow was a bit fortunate but I was pleased I caught it in the shot.

Smashing choice again Steve, I thought of trying that with the grandsons then decided nooooo unless the topic was 'fight' :) When I first looked I was so taken by the hands I didn't hardly notice the path, I really like the way the hands are clasped so tightly together, well done to them.

Smashing choice again Steve, I thought of trying that with the grandsons then decided nooooo unless the topic was 'fight' :) When I first looked I was so taken by the hands I didn't hardly notice the path, I really like the way the hands are clasped so tightly together, well done to them.

Thanks Susie, they have their fair few moments of fighting but caught them at a happy time :D

Week 16 - "smoke"

When the theme came up I pretty much decided I was going to have a go at this, although it's an obvious interpretation I've never tried it before and what better reason to give it a go than for a 52. I've done a lot of shots against black for this 52 and while editing these I decided to try something different so went for a white background, would be interested on your thoughts as always.

smoke 2 by Steve, on Flickr

smoke 1 by Steve, on Flickr

smoke 3 by Steve, on Flickr

Last edited:
Spot on and I love the fact they are black and white I think it works really well, and the first one, thats how to do a smoke shot :clap:

Very nicely done Steve, all good but I'd go gor the first one because it lookls like all the smoke is in the frame and has a simple elegance

Spot on and I love the fact they are black and white I think it works really well, and the first one, thats how to do a smoke shot :clap:
Thanks Allan, I do like the clean feel of #1

Very nicely done Steve, all good but I'd go gor the first one because it lookls like all the smoke is in the frame and has a simple elegance
Thanks Chris, #1 is probably my favourite although I am a bit undecided. Looking at them now I feel that I should have tidied up the top of the third one a bit more.

all great shots and using the inversion to make it black on white works well
Thanks Paul, I wasn't planning on using an inversion but felt that they suited it.
Smoking hot shots the lot of them Steve, really do like them and you nailed them bang on :plus1:
Cheers Dave (y)

Super! Tried and failed myself with these before. Great work, the bg's are nice. Great shape in the last one, a little more bg above would work.

Thanks Michael, first attempt for me but think I'll probably have another go sometime. I agree with the background on #3, might have a go at editing it sometime.

there are some techniques in photography i know i will struggle even trying let alone mastering like you have demonstrated here Steve, (y) excellent work for Smoke.

Now that's the way to do it! This was the sharpness I was hoping for and didn't get and I love the look of black on white. I think the first and third are the strongest shots with the beautiful repeated patterns in the smoke, but I could spend ages just looking at the detail in #2 as well. It's nice to see it done so well (y)

Top job, well done :clap: ... and to invert is a genius idea.

Hold is great maybe a little messy in the BG but shadows add to the picture. Bonus points for getting your kids to pose and hold hands. Your smoke pictures are really good soo sharp and the black on white is fab :D

there are some techniques in photography i know i will struggle even trying let alone mastering like you have demonstrated here Steve, (y) excellent work for Smoke.
Cheers, you should give it a go, wasn't as tricky as I thought it might be and was lots of fun.

Nice job, the inky look works well, its amazing some of the figures you can make out in the smoke sometimes. well done on your first try.
Thanks, don't think it will be my last try as I enjoyed it.

Now that's the way to do it! This was the sharpness I was hoping for and didn't get and I love the look of black on white. I think the first and third are the strongest shots with the beautiful repeated patterns in the smoke, but I could spend ages just looking at the detail in #2 as well. It's nice to see it done so well (y)
Thanks Emma, I agree about the 1st and 3rd being the strongest but #2 says smoke to me more than the others.

Top job, well done :clap: ... and to invert is a genius idea.
Thanks (y)

Fabulous eye catching shots Steve, superbly done and very enviable, I love them :clap:
Thanks Susie :)

Hold is great maybe a little messy in the BG but shadows add to the picture. Bonus points for getting your kids to pose and hold hands. Your smoke pictures are really good soo sharp and the black on white is fab :D
Thanks for the comments Georgina, I do enjoy getting the kids involved.

Not sure I can add anything except you've nailed it.
#1 & #3 for me, the white background adds the extra something.
Thanks Tim.

Hi Steve, Love the first and third shots for Smoke, simple but nice and sharp and good compo (y)
Cheers Nigel :)

Week 17 "Vivid"

Went out to Wingham Wildlife Park today with the family. I was a rather grey and drizzly day but the sun came out for a little while and shone on a peacock laying on the grass so took the opportunity to take a few shots of the feathers.

Vivid by Steve, on Flickr

Lovely shot of the feathers you have caught the colours really well

Bang on the money, thats a great shot and leader of the pack this week so far for me.

Nice smoke shots, I couldn't get the color-inversion effect to work nicely for mine and nice tail feathers too.

Great point of view Steve - what a vibrant and beautiful shot (y)
Thanks Emma, I had taken a few through the day when they were displaying their feathers but then saw this one laying on the grass and grabbed the opportunity for something a little different.

A very nice shot of the peacock feathers Steve, nice and vivid and like Emma says, a great POV :cool:
Thanks Dave (y)

Like your shot for shot for vivid Steve, don't see many of them around and an interesting pov. (y)
Thanks Nigel, your right, you don't see many around these days but the wildlife park had several just wandering around which was nice.

Lovely shot of the feathers you have caught the colours really well
Cheers Allan, I was fortunate that the sun came out and it happened to be laying in a sunny spot.

Bang on the money, thats a great shot and leader of the pack this week so far for me.
Very kind of you Mark.

Lovely colour and an unusual angle, very vivid too.
Cheers Stan (y)

great colour and detail, pretty amazing in fact. (y)

Back