Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

Great colours, textures and details; work brilliantly for the theme.

Just managing to get this in before the new theme....

Week 18 - Large

Struggled to pin down an idea for the theme this week, I've been struggling to get out to take photos but was drawing a blank on ideas for an indoor set up. With only this evening to take the shot I was fortunate to have some nice weather and some golden light so went out and visited this local tower. It's a private property but while I was walking around trying to get some sort of shot I was fortunate enough to get chatting to someone who lives in the grounds and he invited me in to take this shot. I would normally have set up a tripod and made sure everything was level, etc but as he had kindly let me in and was staying with me till I finished I took it handheld.

The tower is Hadlow Folly which is the tallest folly in the UK, legend says that it was built by an 18th-century industrialist to spy on his wife. More info here if you are interested: link

Hadlow Folly by Steve, on Flickr

Large - it is certainly a splendid folly. Nice light and I think the long shadows on the long help accentuate the height of the slender tower along with the whips clouds in the sky giving it a bit more interest. Well done.

Hadlow Folly, looks good and large in the sky and against the trees, nice shadows on the lawn :)
Thanks Dave. I was a bit undecided whether to leave the foreground in or crop in tighter.

Large - it is certainly a splendid folly. Nice light and I think the long shadows on the long help accentuate the height of the slender tower along with the whips clouds in the sky giving it a bit more interest. Well done.
Cheers Chris. I was very fortunate to have such nice light yesterday evening and the slight cloud was lucky as well as I was concerned the sky was going to be a bit plain.

Great light and a amazing folly, looks very fairytale like, you would expect a princess with very long hair to be at the top

Smoke - Love these, the inversion works brilliantly. First shot is like a flower.
Vivid - Nice and bright and there's a real sense of texture and depth.
Large - Well-chosen subject and great light. I can't help thinking there's a better crop in there somewhere but I don't know what it is!

This is a large tower indeed. Great light!

I agree it has a fantasy quality and the shadows and wispy clouds lead nicely to the folly. Well captured :clap:

Lovely, warm light there. Seems to be leaning slightly but looks like a wonderful building.

Cheers.
Thanks, I spent a while adjusting barrel distortion and skewing it to adjust for perspective but I'm not quite happy with it and think your right that there is still a slight lean.

Great light and a amazing folly, looks very fairytale like, you would expect a princess with very long hair to be at the top
Definetely a Repunzel feel to it!

Smoke - Love these, the inversion works brilliantly. First shot is like a flower.
Vivid - Nice and bright and there's a real sense of texture and depth.
Large - Well-chosen subject and great light. I can't help thinking there's a better crop in there somewhere but I don't know what it is!
Thanks, I had thought about a tighter crop but wanted to keep the tree on the right in and the shadows at the bottom. Maybe a bit of the bottom would work.

This is a large tower indeed. Great light!
It's the tallest thing around here by a long way, I was fortunate with the light on that evening.

I was just going to say this then realised Allan had already done it :) fabulous light it looks quite magical.
Thanks Susie, I did edit it to try and get a bit of a fairytale feel to it.

I agree it has a fantasy quality and the shadows and wispy clouds lead nicely to the folly. Well captured :clap:
Cheers, those clouds were an added bonus.

Hi Steve,
Vivid - Not a PoV I've seen before for a Peacock, so (y). Nicely captured colours.
Large - With the colour of the stone, that looks like a fairytale castle. Good job catching the light falling on it like that :)

Hi Steve,
Vivid - Not a PoV I've seen before for a Peacock, so (y). Nicely captured colours.
Large - With the colour of the stone, that looks like a fairytale castle. Good job catching the light falling on it like that :)
Thanks Tim, I shot some of the normal sort of shots of the peacocks with their tails up but when I saw this one laying in the sun I thought it would be something different.

Thanks David!

Shot of the week for me Steve. The light gives a real fairy tale quality and the shadows are wonderful. At first I thought a bit more room on top would be nice, but this framing emphasises the height, so spot on I think :clap:
Cheers Emma, with a bit more time I would have tried to give it a little more room on the top but I had been kindly let into the site by a resident so didn't want to take too long and even with my widest lens I was struggling to fit it in without tilting the lens to much and getting lots of distortion.

Week 19 - Architecture + reshoot

Had a busy week this one, Daughter had a stomach bug over the weekend and my mum has gone into hospital and had a hip op so not a lot of time to get out somewhere to get a shot of a building but I don't want to get behind so managed to fit in a couple of quick shots.

1) I had so many things I wished I could get and do for the Architecture theme, particularly up in London but just didn't have the time to visit. I went and visited my mum last evening and on the way home popped into Bluewater shopping centre in the hope to get something, had about 30 mins so popped into the watergarden area and took about 6 shots before I was told by security that I couldn't take any more shots (even though there website says they welcome photography for private use). So this is the best I got for this week:

architecture by Steve, on Flickr

2) A reshoot of Structure - At the time I was hoping to find a leaf like this that I could use but couldn't find one at the time. I should have set up a tripod for this shot but shortage of time has meant that it is handheld so had to use quite a high ISO and large aperture so the DOF is very shallow. Maybe a candidate for a reshoot of a reshoot later :D

structure leaf by Steve, on Flickr

I think you've done well with the Bluewater shot, especially if you were rushed. You've captured a lot with the very wide angle and the symmetry is pretty spot on. I wonder how many people ever stop and look up at the detail in the frieze?
There's lots of good sharp detail in that leaf (I'm a sucker for leaf skeletons!) Maybe getting rid of some of the oof area on the left would make a stronger overall shot?

Good shot for architecture, i like the blue looking roof (glass i guess) and the symmetry.
Your re-shoot for structure is also good, it's a bit of a shame about the shallow dof, but sometimes there has to be compromises.

Architecture - nicely show with balanced symmetry. I wonder if you would have been asked to stop if you had been using a camera phone.

Structure - nice re-shoot. At the time I had thought of doing the same subject, but couldn't find any suitable leaves at the time.

Architecture - nice symmetry and I like the nature scenes under the roof. It looks overall a bit too dark and too blue for me...

Structure - I like that, maybe on for that re-reshoot with focus stacking for extra DoF.

As said, good symmetry, very erm Architectural. Not sure about the bottom cut-off point.

I like leaf skeletons, but I think less is (could be) more.

Bluewater shot I like Steve, good colours and lighting a shame you were asked to stop.
Structure reshoot is a very nice shot like the dof if that`s right :)
Thanks Dave. I'm still not overly happy about the leaf, will have to give it another go sometime.

I think you've done well with the Bluewater shot, especially if you were rushed. You've captured a lot with the very wide angle and the symmetry is pretty spot on. I wonder how many people ever stop and look up at the detail in the frieze?
There's lots of good sharp detail in that leaf (I'm a sucker for leaf skeletons!) Maybe getting rid of some of the oof area on the left would make a stronger overall shot?
Thanks Emma. It's the widest lens I have, I've been there lots of times to shop and never really noticed the frieze! Thanks for the crop suggestion, I had thought the same and did try to crop the leaf down but it didn't feel right to me, think I just need to have another go sometime.

Good shot for architecture, i like the blue looking roof (glass i guess) and the symmetry.
Your re-shoot for structure is also good, it's a bit of a shame about the shallow dof, but sometimes there has to be compromises.
Cheers, you're right that the blue is a glass roof, I was fairly pleased with the symmetry given I only took it handheld and was moved on fairly quickly. I have corrected it a little in PP and it's not quite right which does annoy me a bit!

Architecture - nicely show with balanced symmetry. I wonder if you would have been asked to stop if you had been using a camera phone.

Structure - nice re-shoot. At the time I had thought of doing the same subject, but couldn't find any suitable leaves at the time.
Thanks, I did ask the question about camera phones but there real issue was me taking photos of the building, they claimed that it would have been fine if I was taking photos of family.

Architecture - nice symmetry and I like the nature scenes under the roof. It looks overall a bit too dark and too blue for me...

Structure - I like that, maybe on for that re-reshoot with focus stacking for extra DoF.
Cheers, I could have lightened it in PP but I preferred it a bit on the darker side as that was more what it was like and I also thought it emphasised the roof structure more but appreciate it won't be to everyones taste. I've never tried staking but your right that the leaf could be a prime candidate to try.

As said, good symmetry, very erm Architectural. Not sure about the bottom cut-off point.

I like leaf skeletons, but I think less is (could be) more.
Thanks David, I would have liked a little more at the bottom and actually shot it with it in but had someone sitting right in front of the spot I needed to get the symmetry, you can just see the top of the head in the shot! I would have waited and got another shot but for the security guards.

Shane we don't look up more often isn't it, that glass roof looks lovely with the frieze around it.
I'm the worlds worst for doing hand held macro. I always seem to trip myself up with the tripod! You've done really well, lots of lovely detail captured, I think it would take a crop to the left of the spine.

Architecture - Not ever been to Bluewater. I must say it does have a pleasing look to it, so much better than 70s/80s shopping centres.
It could easily have had a slue cast, you've dealt with it well.

Re-shoot : Structure - Bang on for a handheld shot. (y)

A quick catch-up from me as I haven't been around for a few weeks, and you've added some great images! The smoke images are all really good - full of impact and a sense of movement - but my favourite is the first, with the super swirls at the top and the way the whole thing is contained within the frame. The strong contrast between black and white helps to bring out the details, too. Something I've never tried and really must :)

The peacock feathers are a great idea for Vivid and spot on with all those intense colours, the folly is perfect for Large with the way it towers above the ground and points into the sky, with the warm light a real bonus, while the interior shot at Bluewater is a super architectural shot and full of great details and tones. Finally, you found a perfect subject for the re-shoot of Structure, full of fascinating natural details, and I like your choice of a tight close-up and the side-lighting, which is very effective.

Great symmetry with your architecture shot Steve, that roofline really pulls your eyes into the Image :)

Structure - now how fascinating are leaves, they sure are incredible structures close in, and you have picked up some great detail where in focus, loving the golden colour too (y)

Shane we don't look up more often isn't it, that glass roof looks lovely with the frieze around it.
I'm the worlds worst for doing hand held macro. I always seem to trip myself up with the tripod! You've done really well, lots of lovely detail captured, I think it would take a crop to the left of the spine.
Thanks Susie, It is a shame we don't notice things around us as much as we should. I've been to bluewater lots of times but usually so busy shopping and keeping an eye on the kids that I don't take much notice of the building itself, it's a good lesson for me to try and learn.

Architecture - Not ever been to Bluewater. I must say it does have a pleasing look to it, so much better than 70s/80s shopping centres.
It could easily have had a slue cast, you've dealt with it well.

Re-shoot : Structure - Bang on for a handheld shot. (y)
Thanks Tim, I'm not really a fan of large shopping centres so normally try and get in and out as quick as possible. It does have some interesting features though and also has a nature walk around the outside which I should give a try sometime.

A quick catch-up from me as I haven't been around for a few weeks, and you've added some great images! The smoke images are all really good - full of impact and a sense of movement - but my favourite is the first, with the super swirls at the top and the way the whole thing is contained within the frame. The strong contrast between black and white helps to bring out the details, too. Something I've never tried and really must :)

The peacock feathers are a great idea for Vivid and spot on with all those intense colours, the folly is perfect for Large with the way it towers above the ground and points into the sky, with the warm light a real bonus, while the interior shot at Bluewater is a super architectural shot and full of great details and tones. Finally, you found a perfect subject for the re-shoot of Structure, full of fascinating natural details, and I like your choice of a tight close-up and the side-lighting, which is very effective.
Thanks for the catch up Andrea, appreciate it (y)

Crazy tower… but beautiful, Steve! (y)
Cheers, it is a lovely tower. It can been seen driving around the area but it's the first time I have seen it close up.

Great symmetry with your architecture shot Steve, that roofline really pulls your eyes into the Image :)

Structure - now how fascinating are leaves, they sure are incredible structures close in, and you have picked up some great detail where in focus, loving the golden colour too (y)
Thanks, I warmed the leaf image up a bit as it was taken with a LED light which made it a bit cold which didn't feel right for me. Glad you liked it.

Week 20 & 21

A catch up for me as the last couple of weeks have been very busy. Visiting my mum in hospital and now half term with the kids has not given much chance for photos but got the camera out for a quick shoot last night to get back up to date. I only managed 20 shots in last years 52 so this is a little milestone for me this year as I pass the number I did last time :woot:. Neither of these are my best work but happy enough to be back up to date that I can live with the mistakes in them.

Week 20 - Broken
Broken pencil by Steve, on Flickr

Week 21 - Transport
Bike 2 by Steve, on Flickr

Or:

Bike 1 by Steve, on Flickr

I've been very bad at commenting as well and will try and catch up somewhat over the next few days.

Hi Steve,

Broken - Would also have worked for vivid...
What does f0.0 mean in the exif? Manual lens of some kind? I like the image. Do you have any with a deeper DoF? It would be interesting to see how it might differ.

Transport - Loving the concept of just capturing part of the wheel, I prefer it to the the whole bike shot.

Broken
I really like this. Very simple, very effective and it'll drive anybodies OCD through the roof.

Transport
I like them both, but I'm going to go for the wheel. Again like transport, it's simple and effective (y)

Great colours in broken. Slight DoF issue on the broken one?

Prefer the first transport I think. Would the second have been better without the divided BG and the full width of the handle bars? I do like the OOF saddle though.(y)

Nice catch-up :) Super colours and striking POV in the first one, and a simple but effective take on the theme works very well. I like both of your Transport images but I'll go against the grain and choose the second one because I really like the narrow DOF and unusual low POV, which puts the viewer right in the image.

Hi Steve,

Broken - Would also have worked for vivid...
What does f0.0 mean in the exif? Manual lens of some kind? I like the image. Do you have any with a deeper DoF? It would be interesting to see how it might differ.

Transport - Loving the concept of just capturing part of the wheel, I prefer it to the the whole bike shot.
Thanks Tim, the f0.0 is because I used a set of cheap manual extension tubes which don't have any of the contacts on them so the lens doesn't communicate the aperture to the camera body. I only took 8 shots of the pencils and didn't change the aperture for them, just the angle/set up. but may well be a reshoot at sometime as I like the concept but just didn't have time to perfect it.

Broken
I really like this. Very simple, very effective and it'll drive anybodies OCD through the roof.

Transport
I like them both, but I'm going to go for the wheel. Again like transport, it's simple and effective (y)
Thanks Dominic, I do like messing with peoples OCD :)

Broken, a very nice broken and vivid shot of the pencils :)
Transport, 1st for me as like the dof ( if that`s right) a nice take on theme :)
Cheers Dave, yes dof is correct and I do like a narrow DOF but know it's not to everyone's taste.

Great colours in broken. Slight DoF issue on the broken one?

Prefer the first transport I think. Would the second have been better without the divided BG and the full width of the handle bars? I do like the OOF saddle though.(y)
Yes, the broken one is not quite focused, I did have another shot with better focus on the broken one but the whole ones were out of focus and it didn't have the colour on the top part of the pencils so didn't feel it worked overall as well. Also annoying that I clipped off the tip of the blue pencil!

Agree with the comments on the bike one as well, the background was just where I propped the bike up to take the other close up shot but should have moved it to a better position. The reason for not getting the whole handle bars was because the bike was leant against our wheely bin and I couldn't be bothered to clone it out so took the shot without the end of the bars in it!

Nice catch-up :) Super colours and striking POV in the first one, and a simple but effective take on the theme works very well. I like both of your Transport images but I'll go against the grain and choose the second one because I really like the narrow DOF and unusual low POV, which puts the viewer right in the image.
Thanks Andrea :)

Lovely colour pencils Steve, and I like that you have them joining in at the centre (y)

Transport - for me it is the handlebars, although I like the wheel which is nice and unusual, I feel the other holds my interest more :)
Cheers (y)

Back