Stoat or Weasel (BWC)

new2me

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes

Last edited:
apart from size ( which unless you have a tape measure handy its no guarantee then your down to is the tail tip brown or black. black its a stoat brown its a weasel.. other than that cant help much

apart from size ( which unless you have a tape measure handy its no guarantee then your down to is the tail tip brown or black. black its a stoat brown its a weasel.. other than that cant help much
I photographed a wild one not long ago and the differences were pointed out to me then as I had no clue :) A lot of the stoat photos from BWC have pale patches around the face, but that's a seasonal thing and my photos were late summer.

Pic 1 Stoat. Black tail tip decisive.Stubby Cat like paws. Weasels much smaller/thinner than stoats.more "orangey".
Pic 2 could be Weasel, claws look extended, tail tip would decide.

John

Pic 1 Stoat. Black tail tip decisive.Stubby Cat like paws. Weasels much smaller/thinner than stoats.more "orangey".
Pic 2 could be Weasel, claws look extended, tail tip would decide.
Cheers John. I really should pay more attention to what I'm taking pictures of :D

If they were in the same run, something I've never seen even with same species, then they are both stoats.
Second one defo looks more like the weasel,although it must have been taken a while ago as it has a tail
and the present one doesn't.

Dunno if this helps but STOAT & WEASEL

If they were in the same run, something I've never seen even with same species, then they are both stoats.
Second one defo looks more like the weasel,although it must have been taken a while ago as it has a tail
and the present one doesn't.

Dunno if this helps but STOAT & WEASEL
Cheers Ingrid. I think they must both be Stoat, probably the same character, taken August 2013. That was my first visit and I thought there was a Weasel on show, but subsequent visits there wasn't. I'll have to get down there again at some point to refresh my memory :D

Cheers Ingrid. I think they must both be Stoat, probably the same character, taken August 2013. That was my first visit and I thought there was a Weasel on show, but subsequent visits there wasn't. I'll have to get down there again at some point to refresh my memory :D

Not necessarily, there could have been both on show as there are now, stoat in the bottom runs and the weasel in top two
Probably a different wesel to one on show atm.
Last year they had the polecat mum and kits in the run where the weasel is now
If you do go back give me a shout I might join you and let you know the best times to get pictures ;)
or how to cheek the keeper :)

Don't take much does it :p
It really doesn't! I hadn't been down that way for a few years, so seeing Cobham Services spring up from nowhere really fuzzled me :D

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but thanks :)

Back