Stockpile your plastic bottles...

Mine ( bottles tins etc all goes into a pink bag glass in a blue box,
and left out for the recycling wagon every Thursday.

I can see the collection guys making a nice little profit :D

My sister in laws father lives in Germany and they have machines that take plastic bottles, there is part of the label that must be intact to scan them in. He brings loads of beer over when he drives and always takes the bottles back and warns us all not to pick at the labels while we drink.

1bn to implement, they need to get in touch with the Corona man he used to give you 3d per bottle on returns and the sweet shop used to give you a 1d.

I used to nick them from the back of the shop and take them in the front for a packet of salt and shake and a lucky bag.

I'd love to know where they get their figures from the mind boggles.

It's great in theory but it'll need to take account of those of us who already recycle via household collection. I really hope I don't have to save plastic bottles in the house and remember to take them with me when I do my fortnightly trip to my local shops which are several miles away, instead of just chucking them in the box outside like I do now. Times have moved on since we kids used to take empty pop bottles back to the off licence at the village pub.

1bn to implement, they need to get in touch with the Corona man he used to give you 3d per bottle on returns and the sweet shop used to give you a 1d.

I used to nick them from the back of the shop and take them in the front for a packet of salt and shake and a lucky bag.

I'd love to know where they get their figures from the mind boggles.
I remember 10p back on Corona bottles as a kid.

Until every UK Council is singing from the same song sheet recycling is never going to work effectively.

Nail on the head

Seems to me it's been quite a feeble attempt at getting us to recycle. There should be a countrywide standard on what we recycle and how it's recycled. I think we do our best but when you can put one kind of plastic but not another in your bins it's pathetic.

I seem to remember there was going to be a push to less packaging but thats never happened either.

They had similar recycling vending machines at my local Tesco years ago. It was regularly out of order and eventually they went back to normal bins.

They had similar recycling vending machines at my local Tesco years ago. It was regularly out of order and eventually they went back to normal bins.
I saw one once somewhere in Essex (Romford?) which possibly gave clubcard points on recycled bottles... Had forgotten about that until you mentioned Tesco :)

I used to nick them from the back of the shop

This was one of the reasons bottle deposits stopped. Petty pilfering but added up. It cost shopkeepers a small fortune.

In principle its a good thing, on the news it was saying it works well in Estonia.

Trouble is, as a shopkeeper was saying, how are they supposed to collect bottles and store them if a small premises?

We do need this coordinated throughout the country, though I see this is to apply to England, so there is unfortunately already a potential built in problem.

However, it can work as we can see from Norway. About 10 years or so ago I was in the Netherlands and supermarkets, even quite small local ones, had machines to weigh and crush cans in exchange for money off the shopping bill.

Looks like we might be catching up, eventually.

Dave

I assume there is going to be some marker on the bottles in the future to stop people stockpiling bottles now, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I kind of don't care if the infrastructure takes time to setup I use very few plastic bottles anyway as I avoid them like the plague.
as long as they don't end up in the environment I am happy.

In the early 1960s we used to take the glass Tizer/R Whites bottles back to the corder shop for 3d refund. As I lived right next to the Oval Cricket ground, after the visitors returned to gheir cars (well off types) thdy often dumped their bottes in the gardens of houses still empty since WW2. We gathered them and took them back to our corner shop. All good but the owner got fed up with more bottles coming back than he sold, so to control it, he has a rubber stamp made which prined his shop name on the bottle labels, and would only accept ‘his’ returns.

For the smaller shops to take returns of the 500ml bottles, storage could be a big issue, especially in city centres.

Still a good idea to get plastics under an organised ‘whole life’ process.

i really dont think i could be arsed going back to the shops with bags of empty bottles, what are they going to give you a few pence each...i dont think so

They need to curb production.

The deposit scheme is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

How? Lots of things come in plastic bottles. Squash, juice, fizzy drinks, water, sauce bottles,

How? Lots of things come in plastic bottles. Squash, juice, fizzy drinks, water, sauce bottles,
Then there's ready meals.

Last edited:
pop them in your recycling bin then and let them have the money.
I've heard predictions of marauding hordes of White Van Men doing 2am sorting through your recycling on bin day.
If 22p is a flat rate, you'd be looking at about £300 for a single full load* of 2l bottles, and considerably more for cans and small bottles.

*For a standard Ford Transit; bigger van, more bottles.

My sister in laws father lives in Germany and they have machines that take plastic bottles, there is part of the label that must be intact to scan them in. He brings loads of beer over when he drives and always takes the bottles back and warns us all not to pick at the labels while we drink.
The beer is in glass bottles? In Germany I believe they re-use beer bottles rather than recycle them. That's why so many German breweries use generic unbranded bottles, unlike the wacky assortment of shapes and sizes you see on British supermarket shelves.

Re-use is of course better than recycling. It's something we seem to have forgotten how to do here since the days when milk (and lemonade, etc) came in glass bottles.

The beer is in glass bottles? In Germany I believe they re-use beer bottles rather than recycle them. That's why so many German breweries use generic unbranded bottles, unlike the wacky assortment of shapes and sizes you see on British supermarket shelves.

Re-use is of course better than recycling. It's something we seem to have forgotten how to do here since the days when milk (and lemonade, etc) came in glass bottles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_hierarchy

The ones he brings across are all plastic, the quantity alone would not make it possible with glass as it would be too much weight.

Stockpiling won't help. Only bottles marked as deposit bottles will get you a refund. Older, pre scheme, and exempt ones not. They still go into the recycling bin.
There will be a few people panic about this to start with. But they'll get over it. The law will ensure there is a single scheme. The cost will be covered by anyone making profit from selling stuff in plastic bottles. And rightly so. It may even increase sales in 'reusable' bottles too. Both glass and plastic. Small shops will get people coming in with returns, benefiting from any sales made at that opportunity.
Single use bottles will be crushed in the return 'vending machines' at supermarkets. Reducing the space needed. Reusable bottles can go in the same machine and will be identified as such and not crushed. It won't matter where you bought it from.

The small deposit will have a big effect. People will want their money back. And will lug empties around to do so.

It might be annoying when you are out, and want a drink, but are not near any shop when the bottle is empty. Taking it home saves filling the bins out in the countryside. But if you want, leave the empties 'next' to the bin. They will be collected by people who are grateful for the deposit. Who will go around anywhere there is likely to be bottles. Thus tidying up the place at the same time. Many people will use that convenience as a sort of charity donation. It will be seen as a good gesture. Except by the grumpies.

The oceans will thank us too.

Last edited:
Trouble is, as a shopkeeper was saying, how are they supposed to collect bottles and store them if a small premises?

We could gave a fleet of big diesel trucks constantly driving around collecting them.

Fair point, and this why there needs to be coordination in the introduction of this measure.

Perhaps the plastic bottles, irrespective of where they the bought from, could be returned to larger supermarkets (or collection centres). Or some means of local authorities collecting the returned plastic bottles from smaller shop keepers as part of the normal rubbish collection from businesses.

Dave

Fair point, and this why there needs to be coordination in the introduction of this measure.

Perhaps the plastic bottles, irrespective of where they the bought from, could be returned to larger supermarkets (or collection centres). Or some means of local authorities collecting the returned plastic bottles from smaller shop keepers as part of the normal rubbish collection from businesses.

Dave
In Germany, smaller shops only have to take the empties of the brands they sell. Whereas shops larger than 200m² have to take any brands. As long as they are the same type or size container as they are selling.

So if you go in with a mixed bag, you'd tend to go to a supermarket with a machine.

I'd not noticed that about the brands, probably because you tend not to take big collections back to the small shops. Maybe just hand back the same bottle or can that you just bought there. Or leave it by the bins for collectors.

Last edited:
The plastic drink bottles are only part of the problem when you consider the plastic ketchup, salad dressing, household cleaning, paint cans and many other types of containers used every day.

For health reasons don't the NHS incinerate most of their "single use" plastic waste !

The plastic drink bottles are only part of the problem when you consider the plastic ketchup, salad dressing, household cleaning, paint cans and many other types of containers used every day.
Good point. Better tell them.
But quantity wise, a ketchup bottle can last weeks. Where plastic water bottles get used up in minutes. And are often discarded whilst away from home.

Over the next 7 years... How much more plastic is going to be produced and dumped in that time and how much plastic production is directly attributable to the companies who have made the pledge?

and how much plastic production is directly attributable to the companies who have made the pledge?
Allegedly, according to the radio, it is somewhat over 80%

Back