Stood solid against time

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent the last few days on the east coast enjoying some R&R with the wife.

First day we visited Whitby - i have seen lots of great sunset shots of the Abbey so planned to get up there at around 5pm.

Should have done my homework better as the Abbey closes at 6pm :( It still cost just under £14 for us both to get in for 70 minutes.

I had a bit of a rush on as there was limited time - I noticed that the wind was pushing the clouds across at a good speed so aligned myself and the Abbey to get the clouds leading in.

I was reasonably happy with a couple of the shots - this is the best from a very rushed set.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yRZuMp]Stood solid against time by Dave Semmens, on Flickr[/URL]

Dave.

Last edited:
That's a nice shot Dave, great cloud movement and a nice B&W conversion with a good full range of tones.(y)

George.

Good shot Dave.

It looks as though the abbey is sloping to the left a little ( going by the rear wall and windows)

I wonder if you could darken the sky a little more to accentuate the clouds more.

Overall very good and not a tyuxsl shot of the abbey (y)

Good shot Dave.

It looks as though the abbey is sloping to the left a little ( going by the rear wall and windows)

I wonder if you could darken the sky a little more to accentuate the clouds more.

Overall very good and not a tyuxsl shot of the abbey (y)

You could be right about the slope Buck - I did try to use the in camera level but am sure that in all the rush and confusion of using filters for the first time that it did go a bit squiffy :)

I have given it a little tweak :)

Last edited:
Nice contrast on both shots.

I see why you converted but i do like the colour versions Dave.

Pretty good at stuff that don't move, too!

Thanks David - The brickwork with all the tones and the contrast against the sky and clouds just made me think B&W from the first time I saw the Abbey.

I went for a sunset but was happy with what I got :)

We went earlier in the year. It was a 3am start to get there for sunrise. :D walked up the 5 bazillion steps to get there, found out you had to pay to get in, quickly scurried back down again. :LOL:

Tighter than a Nuns chuff. :D

Lol - I would have more chance of going through the wall than over it :D

I was worried that they may have security on and decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

The wife also informed me I was too old to be doing such things :( could have ruined the holiday if I got nicked or pulled my back out.

They are both shot with a 17-35 F2.8.

Both shot at 17mm, F13, ISO64 and around 40 seconds for shutter speed (10 stop filter used)

And yes - I could do with a 24-70 to compliment it but the wife says no :(

The 50mm I bought from you has been nicked by my daughter - she also nicked my D7100.

Back