Storing paint etc

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Like a lot of people I guess, I have numerous tins of paint and varnish of varying types. Most are part used but some have never been opened. I want to keep them to touch up the rooms in the house etc sometime.

I’m wondering about storage. I would imagine somewhere like a cellar or basement would be ideal but I don’t have one. I do have a (separate from the house) garage as well as a loft and shed, none of which would be ideal due to the temperatures in there I wouldn’t think.

Where can I keep it apart from the house (where space is limited and I don’t want to be looking at them)?
Is it worth turning a part used tin upside down to store it?
How long can paint be stored for? (I opened an old tin of humbrol enamel paint recently and after a lot of shaking and stirring it was still good after 20 years).

Thanks.

I keep mine's in the garage.
Some I've kept for years. Sometimes they develop a skin on top which I remove before giving it a good stir.

Last edited:
It’s really cold temperatures that causes the most problems with paint, so if you can get it somewhere where it won’t get affected by frosts that will help. Also try to get a decent seal on the tin to stop the solvent evaporating... I always stand on the lid to make sure it’s fully pressed home.

Back