Storm Ciara at Porthcawl

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
No
Strong stormy weather and difficult lighting conditions made capturing any images at Porthcawl Lighthouse on Sunday a real challenge. 80+ mph winds, sea spray, rogue waves and a topnotch breakfast at the Pier Point Cafe made the 3am start all worthwhile. This was my first attempt at capturing a storm at the coast and big waves at that. A lot was learnt on Sunday just gone.

49526621343_4cca14687e_h.jpg

49526621343_b4d5a4ba4f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one. I like a cool colour temp for storm photos. Could you perhaps reduce the highlights and up the clarity in the big wave to bring out a few more details?

Got some storm photos from up here in the north west but Morecambe Bay is much more sheltered than some of the giant waves cornwall gets. Would love to see them. Get down to Sennen cove next time!

Could you perhaps reduce the highlights and up the clarity in the big wave to bring out a few more details?
I did play with the idea, i'll revisit and see what it looks like - thank you for the comment. - As for other locations. Im bang middle of the country, nearest coast is a 2 hour drive away. Cornwall is probably closer to a 4 hour drive but Sennen cove does look like it could make for some espic seascapes/sea storms

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. Love the cold blue tones and the drama captured, composition is great. The only thing I'd look at is it looks a bit grainy when viewing the Flickr version, could be worth trying some noise reduction

The only thing I'd look at is it looks a bit grainy when viewing the Flickr version, could be worth trying some noise reduction
Thank you Scirocco, the image has already been through 2 rounds of noise reduction. The conditions, no light to speak of, with the wind gusting sea water in the air really didn't help. ISO 6400 @ 07:30 and 80mph winds lol

Perhaps my fav image from last weekend.

49541576181_69dd3fea9e_b.jpg

Video Footage here >
View: https://youtu.be/S7voiuCRnmc

far far more impact here than on the videos...or in colour...
the real element here which pulls the tension together with some hope is the glimmer at the lighthouse...it stands firm
the best shot i have seen and i live near porthcurno where it all happens each year

Just watched the video.

Can't decide whether I think you're mental or I'm jealous.

It's the sort of thing I used to do in my 20's when we had the storm of '87 down south.

Cracking shot the last one, well worth the outing.

far far more impact here than on the videos...or in colour...
the real element here which pulls the tension together with some hope is the glimmer at the lighthouse...it stands firm
the best shot i have seen and i live near porthcurno where it all happens each year
Thank you Geoff - apologies for the tardy reply. I have been adventuring on the Isle of Skye and have only recently got back and logged on to the forums.

Epic...well done!
Thank you

Just watched the video.
Can't decide whether I think you're mental or I'm jealous....
Thank you Terry, Mental would be my response, as per my reply to Geoff above, whilst in Skye the other day I found myself exposed (clothes still on :)) on the harbor wall at broadford as 80mph gusts of wind/hail/sleet/rain came in nearly toppling me into the sea, it was a case of holding on to the tripod and camera bag, and crawling back down the harbour on my hands and knees in between gusts. -- on the end of this, where there was no wall to protect you > https://www.google.com/maps/@57.247...4!1sloa_S4ZcyFbh1Pu7Nx7-jQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Great images the 2nd is my favourite. This has given me the inspiration to forget about the weather and just get out there with the camera as not going to get shots tucked up at home
Thank you Ade. Was my first attempt at shooting a coastal storm and rough seas.

Superb shots.
Great video as well
Did you use your camera for the video?
Thank you Robert. I used the Canon M50 for the majority of the video production and the Pentax K1 for the storm scene when showcasing the images taken.

Back