Storm Ciara

Must be really bad in the countryside..lol

View: https://BANNED/Tom_OMara_/status/1226431744737452032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1226431744737452032&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indy100.com%2Farticle%2Fstorm-ciara-winds-weather-uk-video-twitter-9325481

Various bits of terracotta have crashed down off the roof - not sure if it's from the neighbour's house or mine. The driving rain has come through a vent above my window, and out from around the window frame and drenched my RX100 that was sat on the windowsill :eek:

Just seen they are looking for a missing surfer off the south coast
WTF, Darwinism in action

Needles reported gust of 92 mph (148 kph) and Bembridge Coastguards have had to say "don't take your kids into the surf!"

WTF is wrong with these people!!! :eek:

Have a quick look on windy.com there's an absolute monster brewing in the Atlantic thurs/Fri.

It's calmed down a lot now, but earlier on, it was like someone was pressure washing the outside of the house.

We have been lucky where I live (NE England), the forecast was for gusts of 60-80MPH, the strongest we saw was 38MPH according to our weatherstation. It's calming down now here too.

What impressed me today was that while bins, fences and various farm animals were flying through the air the goldfinches were flitting around the feeders as if it were no more than a breeze.

What impressed me today was that while bins, fences and various farm animals were flying through the air the goldfinches were flitting around the feeders as if it were no more than a breeze.
Yes! I had lots of long tailed tits visit and various other tits. Also the squirrels came for food and I hadn't filled up their feeder. I did later.

We actually have 5....
One for general waste
One for metal and plastic,
One for cardboard and paper
One for glass
One for garden waste
And a small caddy for food waste.
:)

Sorry to prolong this..lol..You have a wheelie bin for all waste but for the food caddy ? I couldn’t remember the right word ..caddy..rather than a wee box. I thought you might appreciate the vernacular..lol. We only have two wheelie bins,two green recycle plastic boxes- glass only and plastics/metal,usually food tins... Eg tomatoes/baked beans and for the paper/cardboard a soft plastic bag. We have a collection alternating each week for the two wheelie bins,the rest each week. If we had 5 the waste re other recycle boxes would be lost in a wheelie bin.

Last edited:

There was a distinct lack of birds in our locality. I did see a crow being battered by gusts early on before the big hit.

We had two gusts around 70mph which is getting towards damaging even in our expose location.
Worst thing was about 30mm of rain, majority in the space of two hours.
A culvert down the roadside has either partly blocked or equally likely simply been not big enough and a lot of water ran down the road tearing off tarmac.

Well, he was right..it wasn't a hurricane..Are you saying the Met Office have got this wrong ?..or that because of that October 15th 1987 forecast ? (that's 32 years 4 months ago) then they might have this one wrong too ?
Thanks John just as I was reading your post my better half just ask me !how long we been married this year? me 32 years 4 months love why?? think I'm in her good books now ;)

"Fairly local pub had a tree land on its gas cylinders. Punters took refuge in the church while the Fire brigade/service made it safe (or checked it was turned off!) then went back inside. No hot food available though!

I have a feeling that it might be a member's Dad's pub but I'm afraid I can't remember whose. Possibly @swag72 - it's the Ley Arms in Kenn.

Ah, raining again here.
But it's the regular vertical stuff, not the high pressure horizontal version we had earlier.

Bit of rain and wind, don't know why they give these storms names, just a little above the usual weather we get here in the Irish midlands

Not been horrendous in East Anglia. Winds not too bad and not as much rain as they forecast. On the plus side tomorrow's forecast is for wind but with clearer skies so might make for some good coastal stuff :)
PS I have a wheelie bin shed so mine stay put... There's posh!!

Have to say, whilst it's been gusty here (Ayrshire), I've seen worse. Late 2010, early 2011 saw some big winds here with gusts upto 130mph. Wind turbines caught fire, one even exploded. A farmer friend's metal barn was found over a mile from where it was supposed to be.

As it was called here, Hurricane Bawbag, and 2 weeks later, another one.

For anyone that knows Snetterton motor racing circuit, one of it's landmarks, Scary Tree was a victim of the storm over the weekend. :(
Picture086Large.jpg
FB_IMG_1581326140972.jpg

Back