Storm on the North Coast

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
As Nicola sorted out her wardrobe I headed out into the wind. Upon reaching Ramore Head was treated to some spectacular waves smashing over the coastline, towering tens of metres above sea level. The sky was moody and foreboding but thankfully for the most part kept its watery innards to itself ...

While a faster shutter speed would have frozen the waves I quite liked slowing the shutter using a 0.9 ND Grad (to help balance the brighter parts of the sky) and then a 3 stop ND filter (to allow me to slow the shutter speed a little) to help calm things down a little. I also needed to decrease my aperture to f/16 (from f/11) to help with the shutter speed as I found the 3 stop filter only giving me around 1-1.5 seconds of shutter speed. My next filter choice was 10 stop and this would have increased the shutter speed too much.

Of course balancing shutter speed with crashing waves can be tricky. Too long an exposure and things get a bit misty, which while great for some images wasn't what I was looking for here. I also spent a bit of time counting, as the waves formed out to sea, to ensure my 2 seconds started when I wanted it. The final bit to consider was mother nature herself as of course not every wave crashed just the way I wanted it.

Was a great first little bimble with the camera, no more than 10 minutes from the front door of our new home. Walking in these conditions really does make for a fantastic substitute to caffeine. I felt so alive and thankful to be able to be out in it.

Camera: Fuji XE2
Lens : Fuji 10-24
Filters: 0.9 ND Grad, 3 stop ND

Settings - f/16, 11mm, ISO 200, 2 seconds
Location - Ramore Head, Portrush, Northern Ireland

[url=https://flic.kr/p/D4eu1t]Who Needs Coffee ? by Nigel Cooke, on Flickr[/URL]

I'm afraid portrait isn't really working for me as I keep wanting to scroll left and right to find the rest of the sea. Are your filters giving you a significant magenta cast to the sky. I'd watch for that as it looks a little strange.
Certainly a location with potential.

I agree with Beth, probably a landscape format would have been better and I not sure if the filters add anything to he picture,

Geoff

Nope no cast ... I boosted the magenta colours a little in post as the clouds already had this purplish tone which seems to be quite frequent here on the North Coast with sun on stormy clouds .... As for the filters not adding anything .. was a requirement to get the slightly longer exposure .... In this particular location there wasn't really enough going on either side for a landscape crop, in fact a few life ring stations would have been included, hence the portrait crop ..

cheers for the feedback .

Nige

Dodgy colour clouds aside. I'm not getting a sense of scale from anywhere in this image. I can't tell if those waves are 10 metres or 10 inches.

Dodgy colour clouds aside. I'm not getting a sense of scale from anywhere in this image. I can't tell if those waves are 10 metres or 10 inches.

Thanks .. Yes, difficult to get scale here as the waves are actually breaking about 3-4 metres below the edge of the rocks you can see .... I wasn't prepared to get too much closer on my first day out in my new location :) To be honest I wasn't particularly thinking about scale when I made the image (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing) .... I was more interested in calming the waves through a slightly longer exposure to see how it looked ... If I'm honest I prefer the look of the sea itself to the right of the frame rather than the breaking wave itself ....

cheers for the feedback ..

Nige

Well if you were trying to make it look like you had a crap filter on, it worked very well.
If the magenta was added in post, take more care and keep the added colour away from the spray of the wave ;)

Magenta cast is probably one the mortal sins in the photography world :)

I think you just weren't close enough to the action and the light wasn't helping you either. Getting closer and waiting for a small break in the clouds could have saved the day.

Back