Strange behaviour by ebay seller - just a rant

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
So, I bought a set of overalls via Ebay, described in the title as "Hi Vis Coverall Overall Hi Vis Farming Safety Stain Resistant". My previous overalls had died after about 5 years of hard use and, for obvious safety reasons, needed a replacement.

They arrived quickly, I wasn't impressed by the zip, which didn't look strong enough for the purpose, and which would be fiddly with cold hands, but tried it on, in the house, where it couldn't possibly get dirty.

The zip immediately failed so I sent it back. The seller refused to refund me but Ebay stepped in and refunded me promptly.

I then received this strange message from the seller
"Dear Garry
We tried contacting you via telephone yesterday to explain the situation with the Coverall you sent back to us. You claimed that the zip was faulty but it is in fully working order not to mention the coverall being stained. We have contacted eBay and they've asked us to send you a Paypal invoice for payment of the coverall along with the return postage back to yourself. Failure to pay this invoice will result in the case be appealed and us being fully refunded and the product will be disposed of.
Please make payment via Paypal before Friday 25th October
Thank you"

My reply:
" Hi,

I'm sorry that you couldn't reach me by phone - it's a farm in a very rural location and phone signals are intermittent at best - which is one of the reasons why I chose your product, which has a pocket for a two-way.

I totally reject your statements, which are simply untrue.
The zip failed when I tried it on, which is why I returned it to you. You market this product for farming, so you should be aware that farmers need heavy duty zips that are capable of coping with climbing into and out of heavy machinery and that cope with the stretching involved with both this and other hard physical work. Your zip is totally inadequate for this purpose but I was still suprised that it failed just trying it on.

As for the stain that you claim exists, this is nonsense. I tried it on indoors and it was not stained.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I will not pay your invoice, nor will I waste any more time on this. You must do as you see fit. "

They replied as follows, I won't reply to it or to any other communications from them.
"We have attached a photo of the stain which you claim is 'nonsense' and also the zip to prove to you that it hasn't failed and is in full working condition. We do not design the products and only sell them. We would happily refund you if it wasn't stained but unfortunately we cannot accept it because it's not a resalable condition so failure to pay the invoice will result in a full refund to us and item will but binned
Thanks"

There was in fact no photo.

Personally, I think that they're NBAG

Give them negative feedback.
They won't be able to leave you negative feedback in retaliation.
PayPal will back you as a buyer.

What little I understand about eBay is that I thought that all comms should be via their system....................if correct, that seller is acting outside their 'agreement' with eBay?

They have either mixed up your return with another or are indeed working some sort of scam (fraud!)

Surely if Paypal were requesting you return the money plus postage costs they would contact you, not tell the seller to do so. Sounds like a heap of BS from a desperate seller, and I'd do as Bob suggests. Leave negative feedback and obviously take your business elsewhere.

The messages were through ebay, and I can't leave feedback now that it has been refunded.

if you have sent it back and they have refunded I think paypal and ebay will not give a toss.
it is a bit of an odd situation that, I have only ever sent a few things back and it has always been no dramas.
i sent some motorbike mirrors back because they looked cheap, actually they were pretty cheap....

Back