Street Photography @ Manchester Christmas Markets 2011

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
My first dabble at Street Photography, and I loved it!! Really enjoyable day out, the Christmas Markets were ideal for this and there was plenty to see and do.

On with the photos!

1)
Sheepskin Seller Manchester Christmas Market by futureal33, on Flickr

2)
Coffee Woman Manchester Christmas Market by futureal33, on Flickr

3)
Manchester Christmas Market by futureal33, on Flickr

4)
Bratwurst Man Manchester Christmas Market by futureal33, on Flickr

5)
Manchester Christmas Market by futureal33, on Flickr

Cracking set of shots, the fur seller is magic, so much character, so lovely and sharp the pic, love everything about that shot, the rest are great as well.

Definitely #1 followed by #4 and #6 - bet you had a great time ... I am jealous!

Forgive me for saying this, but I really struggle to see any form of story in these. Only pictures of some people at a christmas market, nothing more :shrug:

Forgive me for saying this, but I really struggle to see any form of story in these. Only pictures of some people at a christmas market, nothing more :shrug:

Why does it need a story?

Why does it need a story?

+1 Its the most common comment when people put street photos up, yet no-one wants to offer any guidance on how to put a story across

A story might follow some theme, could be a series from a demo, or might be different foods in the market, could be anything. If a story is there, either in a series of pics ... or if a single pic tells a story (like I saw recently taken at an abandoned Eastern European orphanage - paint-peeling walls, a cot and an old teddy) then that's a bonus.
But my point is that it doesn't have to have a story, does #1 need a story?

1,2,4,8 and 9 are good the rest seem not to have too much going on for me :shrug:

Last edited:
The guy with the hot dog and the girls with the cheeses seem quite good to me. I usually try and avoid having out of focus things in the foreground but I only ever use 28mm for street so the DOF is much greater than with 50 which has a narrow DOF in comparison.

A good set which portrays the atmosphere of the Xmas Market. I particularly like No.1. Great detail,sharp and like the way he is framed with his furs..
Why do photos need a story?:shrug:

Some great shots, love no. 4 (guy eating bratwurst). Do you ask peoples permission, or just snap away?

Ok ok, maybe story was the wrong word. What I mean is that (apart from #1 which I do quite like) they're all technically perfect, but that's all. 4 is just a man eating a hot dog. Yes, it's framed well, the colour balance is spot on & the bokeh is nice, but it's still just a man with a hot dog & no amount of technical ability will ever change that.

Some very interesting shots here. There have been some discussions on what constitutes "street photography" recently, and the comments in this thread reflect those discussions. I would argue that photojournalism shots need to tell a story, but that street photography shows interesting interactions among people (who are generally not interacting with the camera or photographer.) There may not be any more than an implied "story" in such interactions. (These definitions, BTW, come from a variety of internet sources. For example:

http://londonstreetphotographyfestival.org/what-is-street-photography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

http://photo.net/learn/street/intro

I really like the sheepskin seller and the cheese market shots (1 and 6).

Last edited:
Ok ok, maybe story was the wrong word. What I mean is that (apart from #1 which I do quite like) they're all technically perfect, but that's all. 4 is just a man eating a hot dog. Yes, it's framed well, the colour balance is spot on & the bokeh is nice, but it's still just a man with a hot dog & no amount of technical ability will ever change that.

I quite like the expression of the hot dog guy even if he is doing something a bit "mundane"

:bonk:
Sorry, but what a miserable way to end one year and begin another! I found these photos to be full of wit and warmth. The "story" - and I don't agree there needs to be one - is surely that of bright faces, colourful scenes, people having fun: it's Christmaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssss, as Noddy Holder says.

All good number 10 looks a bit snappy. I also went to the market but didn't take the cam

I really like these. 3, 5 and 10 don't do a lot for me as I can't see a real subject (just nice general shots of the market), but the others are great, especially 1!

I'm really interested in street photography, but think I'd only be brave enough to do it with a long lens. I can see the benefit of using a shorter lens, especially a prime, but do you ever get challenged? Asking first would ruin the candid nature of the shots, but do you ask/explain afterwards? I've read the book Paulk linked to, but that guy takes a much ballsier approach than I could ever manage!

Mark

Good pictures. I took some pictures of the Christmas market here in Belfast, but they never worked as well as yours.

futureal33 said:
Thanks for the comments guys and gals :)

Having never done Street Photography before, I don't really have a valid opinion as to whether you need a story or not.. but I enjoyed being there in the middle of it all.

Hey. They work really well as a set. Makes me want to visit it myself.
End of story...

Back