B&W Street Portraits (Final Shots Added)

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Below are a selection of portraits from my 100 strangers project which I particularly liked converted to mono.
The similar poses are entirely deliberate as I have a certain look I am aiming for with the finished 100 strangers project. I intend for them to all sit together as a cohesive panel in a 10x10 format.

Susannah by iain blake, on Flickr

Richard by iain blake, on Flickr

Abby by iain blake, on Flickr

Sadie by iain blake, on Flickr

Sue by iain blake, on Flickr

Tim by iain blake, on Flickr

Excellent shots.:clap:

These are fantastic mate, I love your style of portraiture.

Lovely work Iain. Great shots nicely processed (y)

Thanks Adam (y)
These are the ones from 73 portraits so far in my project which I thought work well as B&W conversions. I think its because they have a lot of contrast to begin with.

These are fantastic mate, I love your style of portraiture.

Thanks Steve(y)
Before the beginning of the year and this project, I hadn't shot much people photography but i have really got into it and found a style that I like.

These are superb pal, i would be proud to have them in an exhibition :)

These are superb pal, i would be proud to have them in an exhibition :)

Thanks joker (y)
Don't know about an exhibition but i will certainly get a book done once the project is complete :D

Love

Love

Love!!!!!

The first one grabbed me as soon as I opened the page. Love the processing and depth of field.

If I may be so crass: Any additional lighting and what lens are you using?

Now thats out of the way - I'd love to see the completed project!

Great Stuff

Shaheed

I really like the shots of the guys, there is depth and texture in their faces. The females all feel a bit flat in comparison.

Just my 2c

Love

Love

Love!!!!!

The first one grabbed me as soon as I opened the page. Love the processing and depth of field.

If I may be so crass: Any additional lighting and what lens are you using?

Now thats out of the way - I'd love to see the completed project!

Great Stuff

Shaheed

Thanks Shaheed
Its all natural lighting, on some I have used a reflector though.
All shot on a 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens.
I am 3/4 of the way to completion, at the rate I am going, averaging around 3 portraits a week, I hope to complete it in a couple of months time.

Just Had a look at your Flickr........great stuff!

Shaheed

Thanks again Shaheed, much appreciated.

I really like the shots of the guys, there is depth and texture in their faces. The females all feel a bit flat in comparison.

Just my 2c

Thanks Matt, with the females, I think thats down to my processing.
Mostly done in lightroom, I do lower the clarity on females as a matter of course.

I like these. Love the simplicity.. just essence of portrait.. no garnish.

I do think the ones that work best are the ones with subject dead centre though. I think when you start to go all "thirds" they just start to look more ordinary. I prefer the look of the first one too... closer and wider.

Just looked at your flickr page , and I think these work best in colour. I'm not seeing what the black and white does here.

1,2,5 and 6 in the first post work best for me.

I like these. Love the simplicity.. just essence of portrait.. no garnish.

I do think the ones that work best are the ones with subject dead centre though. I think when you start to go all "thirds" they just start to look more ordinary. I prefer the look of the first one too... closer and wider.

Just looked at your flickr page , and I think these work best in colour. I'm not seeing what the black and white does here.

1,2,5 and 6 in the first post work best for me.

Thanks David,
I like how you put about the simplicity and essence of portrait because there is no real context to them.
To some they may need explaining, that's why I particularly like your comments.

I do prefer the dead centre ones myself but I feel it has to have the right or suitable background for them to work. I do look out for vanishing point backgrounds which lend themselves to dead centre composition.

Again, I too prefer the colour ones but thought the ones posted above work nearly as well in B&W.

Thanks again for looking in.

That's the beauty of portraits... there's no real need for context necessarily. What makes portraits fail IMO is when people try to shoe horn a context in there for the sake of it... like glamorously dressed fashion models in derelict buildings... it's just confusing... like.. why is she there? As people, we like looking at people, so there's always something compelling about original portraiture. This is why I like the centre frame, wide-ish lens by portrait standards (looks 35 to 50mm at a guess) close up approach of the first one. It makes it more striking. Others may say it's not "flattering" but who cares about that?

If you want to maintain that vanishing point, head centre approach... then be true to your vision... bin the rest... carry on shooting until you get what you want. It takes as long as it takes :)

Thanks David, @Pookeyhead
All portraits are taken with a 50mm, with a couple of exceptions (for some reason?) Tim's portrait #6 above was on a 105mm lens. I suppose the context of these sits with the bigger project, my 100 strangers. They do what they say on the tin, so to speak.

You are quite correct, it will take as long as it takes, I haven't set an end date for the project. Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Wonderful portraits, wish I had the confidence to do this myself

Thanks James,
I will admit that it was quite daunting at first approaching a perfect stranger in the street and asking to take their portrait but and its a big but, you will be very surprised. People are people, and at the end of the day it's about interaction and engagement. Most have been only too willing to be part of the project. I am completely open with them, initially it's a one way transaction. I give them a card with all my details on it, that is email address, facebook page, flickr and my mobile telephone number. I don't ask them for any details barring their first name and I ask them a little about themselves. What they choose to divulge is entirely up to them.

Some are more engaged than others but that's human nature.
I have had numerous refusals but they don't bother me, I thank them for their time and move on. It's all perfectly amicable, the worst that can happen realistically is that they say no or ignore you. I haven't had anyone ignore me (yet).

I started this to do more people photography but it's bigger than that for me now, I love engaging with people, hearing their stories.

If you wish to give it a go, I would encourage you to do so.

Thanks James,
I will admit that it was quite daunting at first approaching a perfect stranger in the street and asking to take their portrait but and its a big but, you will be very surprised. People are people, and at the end of the day it's about interaction and engagement. Most have been only too willing to be part of the project. I am completely open with them, initially it's a one way transaction. I give them a card with all my details on it, that is email address, facebook page, flickr and my mobile telephone number. I don't ask them for any details barring their first name and I ask them a little about themselves. What they choose to divulge is entirely up to them.

Some are more engaged than others but that's human nature.
I have had numerous refusals but they don't bother me, I thank them for their time and move on. It's all perfectly amicable, the worst that can happen realistically is that they say no or ignore you. I haven't had anyone ignore me (yet).

I started this to do more people photography but it's bigger than that for me now, I love engaging with people, hearing their stories.

If you wish to give it a go, I would encourage you to do so.

Thanks that's great advice, I might try and start a portrait project myself soon :)

I have been following your project with interest alongside the website Humans of New York.

I like the way you engage and respond with your "subjects". I also like the way you portray them as individuals.

I think you should consider expanding this project beyond the 100 strangers and see where it leads :)

I have been following your project with interest alongside the website Humans of New York.

I like the way you engage and respond with your "subjects". I also like the way you portray them as individuals.

I think you should consider expanding this project beyond the 100 strangers and see where it leads :)

Thanks Terri (y) @Tezz450D

The Humans of New York has been so influential in my 100 strangers project.
I do intend to go beyond the 100, but intend to change my style a little. Well maybe not style as such more different poses, certainly to include the hands in the portrait as opposed to just head and shoulders.
I hope to continue the project indefinitely really as the photography may be of a similar style but all the strangers different. I do love hearing their stories, I wish to improve on that score too. To engage more with the strangers, although I am happy with my progress on that front so far.

I love reading about all their differing view points and their takes on the world

Makes interesting reading as well as looking

I love reading about all their differing view points and their takes on the world

Makes interesting reading as well as looking

That part of my project has become more important to me than the photography to be honest Terri.
So much so, I have lost count of the number of people I have engaged with, had a great conversation with and never got their portrait since starting this project. Sorry, I went all feng shui there :D.

It is true though, I like to talk, and I like photography, this project is perfect for me :D

Like these allot, it's a great project. I really would like to have a bash at this kind of thing, it's on the list.

From a technical point of view they look great. Some of the skin tones look a little hot for me in places but equally, that can be subjective and a stylized choice from your point.

Like these allot, it's a great project. I really would like to have a bash at this kind of thing, it's on the list.

From a technical point of view they look great. Some of the skin tones look a little hot for me in places but equally, that can be subjective and a stylized choice from your point.

Thanks Kris @Livin The Dream
Give it a go, can pretty much guarantee you'll enjoy it.
I have pushed the skin tones as close to the right hand side of the histogram as I dare, possibly that's the reason for the hot in places look.

Again, awesome project. Total respect.

Thanks Bethy @sunnyside_up
Your kind comments are much appreciated.

You've got the hang of this now :)

I've been following it on flickr and some of them are wow shots, I can see how you've gained in confidence through these sets and you seem to be developing a style (y)

Oh, I see where you got your bendy forks from, or do you sell hats :D

Truly amazing.
Big respect for having the courage to do this. Wish I could!!! Maybe one day.

Truly excellent.:):clap:

You've got the hang of this now :)

I've been following it on flickr and some of them are wow shots, I can see how you've gained in confidence through these sets and you seem to be developing a style (y)

Oh, I see where you got your bendy forks from, or do you sell hats :D

Thanks Mark (y)
I agree, my confidence has grown throughout the project. When I first started, the thought of someone saying no was a little daunting but now I just shrug it off and move on.
I have a consistent look I am after and think I have settled on it, that may be where the style thing comes from.

:DBendy forks! Simons are a little more sophisticated than mine.

Truly amazing.
Big respect for having the courage to do this. Wish I could!!! Maybe one day.

Thanks Grant(y)
It's a bit daunting to start with but you would soon get into it.

Truly excellent.:):clap:

Thanks James.

One thing that really works for me and I can sum it up in a word.....Connection. They are really connecting with YOU.

Of these it's Simon for me. The spoons and his eyes are wonderful.

Cheers.

One thing that really works for me and I can sum it up in a word.....Connection. They are really connecting with YOU.

Of these it's Simon for me. The spoons and his eyes are wonderful.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, that is quite a compliment (y)
I am glad that you see that in the portraits, it elevates them for me that you recognise the connection.

A superb set of images. I have not seen the colour versions so comparisons are not on my agenda. Thanks for the clarity tip in the PP most useful. Interesting characters without being over the top in their styles, very enjoyable.

Kind regards

Gary

A superb set of images. I have not seen the colour versions so comparisons are not on my agenda. Thanks for the clarity tip in the PP most useful. Interesting characters without being over the top in their styles, very enjoyable.

Kind regards

Gary

@Gary Wakeley

Thanks Gary,
The colour versions can be found in my main 100 strangers project, link is in my signature.
I'm probably the last person you should be taking pp tips from haha. I am very much "I know what I like kinda person" the lower clarity thing is just something I like the look of and applied it to the portraits.

Thanks again Gary.

Iain,

What more can I add?

You obviously have a good patter to get these folk to pose for you. I think that is the biggest hurdle for most togs, establishing that first contact without scaring them or making them wary of being sold something they don't need.

Really enjoyed looking through them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back