B&W Street Portraits from 100 Strangers

I like the mono conversions, but having seen the colour versions, prefer those tbh ... You choose backgrounds that compliment the strangers dress colours and that is lost with the black and white conversions. nothing wrong at all with either the mono processing or the images themselves, just prefer them in colour :)

I like the mono conversions, but having seen the colour versions, prefer those tbh ... You choose backgrounds that compliment the strangers dress colours and that is lost with the black and white conversions. nothing wrong at all with either the mono processing or the images themselves, just prefer them in colour :)

Thanks Terri (y)
I too prefer the colour images but do like to do a mono conversion of each. These are the ones which i think work in mono.
I think its because these have more contrast in them. Your comments are food for thought though. Thank you!

Very inspiring. You da man.

Thanks David (y)

I like these a lot, most of your subjects are female is this because they were more willing to be photographed than men, only asking as I am think of starting a simular project

I like these a lot, most of your subjects are female is this because they were more willing to be photographed than men, only asking as I am think of starting a simular project

Thanks Chris.
Mostly female isn't a deliberate choice, no its just worked out that way. I am just over 80% through my 100 strangers project and the ratio of men to women portraits is 1:3. If I keep that percentage, it will be 25 male portraits to 75 female.
I don't know if its a subconscious thing with me Chris. I don't like having my photograph taken, Ive a face for radio and prefer to be behind the camera. So I don't know if I project those feelings onto strangers and don't ask so many males because of that.
When I set out on the project, I looked out for interesting, colourful people, and they just so happened to be mainly female with bright dyed colourful hair and clothing. As the project has gone on thats changed slightly, in that I just look for friendly engaging people, not necessarily outgoing colourful appearance type of people. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply, interesting and helpful, thank you again

I don't think i'd have the balls to do it but i would love to do it! Do you give them any of your details? Do you offer to e-mail them a copy etc?

@minnnt

Thanks David, yes I have moo cards printed which I hand to each stranger who takes part in my project.
The cards have my name, Facebook page, flickr page, email address and mobile telephone number on them. I don't ask for any personal details from the strangers beyond their first name. I do ask them some open questions in order that I may get a little about them for their bio beside the photograph. It is entirely up to them what, if anything they choose to tell me. As far as contact details are concerned its an entirely one way transaction. I leave the choice up to each stranger should they wish to contact me for a copy of their portrait.

A few have but most I think just look on my Facebook page and some have used them as profile pictures.

Its not as difficult as you may imagine. People are people at the end of the day. If your approach is friendly and open, whats the worst that can happen, they say no.
If I were to approach you as a stranger and ask to take your portrait, how do you think you would react? If you were to decline, how would you say it? A lot of the people who have declined, were almost apologetic in saying no thanks.
People are surprised that I ask them but are mostly very amenable to the project. Its daunting at first but once over that hurdle, there is a realisation that people are approachable and will give you their time. I am still in regular contact with some of the strangers.

I really enjoyed looking at your work.
There is an immediate observed contact with your subject, they appear relaxed (how long do you spend with them)?
Each of them tell a story.
Keep up the great work and I look forward to the remaining 20%...

I really enjoyed looking at your work.
There is an immediate observed contact with your subject, they appear relaxed (how long do you spend with them)?
Each of them tell a story.
Keep up the great work and I look forward to the remaining 20%...

@reheat module
Thanks Paul,
There have only been a couple of strangers who appeared a little uncomfortable in front of camera and I think it shows in their portrait.
It does vary how long I spend with each individual person, anything from a couple of minutes to 30-45 minutes with some as we have got chatting.
I introduce myself and my project, then take the shots first. I then get chatting and hear their story by asking some open questions.
Cheers!

Back