B&W My Street Portraits ***Complete*** 15 July 2016

I wouldn't edit out anyone's facial features, lines wrinkles etc but I have removed blemishes, spots, etc as they are temporary.
I have heard the female point of view on that and was reliably informed that it would be welcomed.

Any unflattering photographs (IMHO) are deleted.
I have only had one stranger request that they'd rather I didn't post their photograph. This was for a mixture of reasons, I caught them on a day when they weren't particularly happy and this was not only reflected in their photograph but their dialogue too.
The stranger involved, a young woman allowed me to make their portrait and even emailed me more about themself afterwards to go along with their photo.
The only stipulation was that I let them 'proof read' the photo and dialogue before I posted it.
On reflection she felt it too much and asked if I would mind not posting it. Of course I complied with their wishes.

We exchanged a few emails afterwards and left it that if we were to meet again, she would let me make her portrait when she would be in a better frame of mind.

Amazing as always Iain (y)

Its tough to pick a favourite as always, but Drew, ( post #50 ) certainly stands out, if not only for the fact that his arms appear match his shirt ;)

What a fantastic gallery of images! What an interesting thread this is, Thank you Iain for sharing your images and your "tricks of the trade" It's made very interesting reading. I imagine there are lots of folk on here would like to attempt this, myself included, but perhaps lack the confidence to approach people. By explaining your method of approach, you have made it a more achievable goal. I don't normally have trouble talking to strangers (I'm a gobby Geordie according to my other half) but have never asked directly if I could take their photo, perhaps I will now:) Thank you.

I wouldn't edit out anyone's facial features, lines wrinkles etc but I have removed blemishes, spots, etc as they are temporary.
I have heard the female point of view on that and was reliably informed that it would be welcomed.

Any unflattering photographs (IMHO) are deleted.
I have only had one stranger request that they'd rather I didn't post their photograph. This was for a mixture of reasons, I caught them on a day when they weren't particularly happy and this was not only reflected in their photograph but their dialogue too.
The stranger involved, a young woman allowed me to make their portrait and even emailed me more about themself afterwards to go along with their photo.
The only stipulation was that I let them 'proof read' the photo and dialogue before I posted it.
On reflection she felt it too much and asked if I would mind not posting it. Of course I complied with their wishes.

We exchanged a few emails afterwards and left it that if we were to meet again, she would let me make her portrait when she would be in a better frame of mind.

I am not exactly sure what to say about this young lady but I find your comments very thought provoking & find it fascinating how you get this interaction with your strangers on the street.

As for blemishes on the skin etc. Mrs Piggin would likes me to turn the clock back 30 years to when she was 10 every time I take her image lol.
I showed her a 'porcelain shin' treatment I was shown in PS some time ago, now she wants everything 'enhanced'.
The problem is I love every single line on her face (& she only has a few) :)

Last edited:
Truly inspirational stuff Iain. I feel like rushing out to (re-) buy a 50mm lens. Absolutely love these (prefer the monos overall) and I'm fascinated by the methodology behind them.

What do you say to people when you approach them? Aren't at least some suspicious as to what you are actually going to do with the images? Do you ask them to sign model releases or something similar? Do you ask them to hold the reflector?

So many questions...

Amazing as always Iain (y)

Its tough to pick a favourite as always, but Drew, ( post #50 ) certainly stands out, if not only for the fact that his arms appear match his shirt ;)

Thanks Chris,
I feel Drew's portrait works better in colour for that very reason, the distinction between his fantastic tattoos and his shirt is easier to make. However, I do still like the B&W conversion particularly the strong contrast.

What a fantastic gallery of images! What an interesting thread this is, Thank you Iain for sharing your images and your "tricks of the trade" It's made very interesting reading. I imagine there are lots of folk on here would like to attempt this, myself included, but perhaps lack the confidence to approach people. By explaining your method of approach, you have made it a more achievable goal. I don't normally have trouble talking to strangers (I'm a gobby Geordie according to my other half) but have never asked directly if I could take their photo, perhaps I will now:) Thank you.

Thanks Margaret,
Being able to approach and talk to strangers is more than half the battle with the 100 strangers project.
The photography can be somewhat secondary to the actual engagement and interaction. Being comfortable talking with people allows you, the photographer more time, less pressure to get the shot so to speak. I would suggest having some settings dialled into your camera beforehand. Say, the aperture you wish to shoot at for whichever look you are after, then you can concentrate on focus, composition etc. as I've said before, I now generally find the background first then look for a suitable/interesting stranger to walk by. I have the shot in my head that I wish to achieve so that takes something else out of the equation.
Doesn't always work that way though, quite a few have to be taken on the fly. That is when I see the stranger and then have to find a background.
Give it a go, it's been a revelation to me!

I am not exactly sure what to say about this young lady but I find your comments very thought provoking & find it fascinating how you get this interaction with your strangers on the street.

As for blemishes on the skin etc. Mrs Piggin would likes me to turn the clock back 30 years to when she was 10 every time I take her image lol.
I showed her a 'porcelain shin' treatment I was shown in PS some time ago, now she wants everything 'enhanced'.
The problem is I love every single line on her face (& she only has a few) :)

Thanks Paul,
As I said, I don't remove features/character lines etc but what I often do in my processing is lower the clarity slider in Lightroom, I feel it gives a more flattering look without going over the top. It just softens a little.
About my interaction with strangers, I've just found an approach which works for me. Open, friendly and honest, no hidden agenda, I just ask to make their portrait and most agree.

Truly inspirational stuff Iain. I feel like rushing out to (re-) buy a 50mm lens. Absolutely love these (prefer the monos overall) and I'm fascinated by the methodology behind them.

What do you say to people when you approach them? Aren't at least some suspicious as to what you are actually going to do with the images? Do you ask them to sign model releases or something similar? Do you ask them to hold the reflector?

So many questions...

Thanks Brian,
As mentioned above, I just say that I am shooting a street photography project, 100 strangers and could I make their portrait.
I give the my card with all my contact details on and say that I post them on my Facebook photography page and Flickr. No model release forms required, I think that would just change the dynamic of the whole interaction.
Sometimes I ask them to hold the reflector or at the very least catch the end of it. I have asked their friends/partners before to hold it or other times I hold it myself with one hand and shoot with the other.

Thanks Brian,
As mentioned above, I just say that I am shooting a street photography project, 100 strangers and could I make their portrait.
I give the my card with all my contact details on and say that I post them on my Facebook photography page and Flickr. No model release forms required, I think that would just change the dynamic of the whole interaction.
Sometimes I ask them to hold the reflector or at the very least catch the end of it. I have asked their friends/partners before to hold it or other times I hold it myself with one hand and shoot with the other.

I'd love to try something similar. The only place I've tried anything similar to this was abroad, in Cuba a few years ago. No rejections, and I always tipped the subjects after the picture was taken. A whole different dynamic doing it at home. I suppose the worst that could happen is that they say no...

I'd love to try something similar. The only place I've tried anything similar to this was abroad, in Cuba a few years ago. No rejections, and I always tipped the subjects after the picture was taken. A whole different dynamic doing it at home. I suppose the worst that could happen is that they say no...

Never tried it abroad Brian.
I can see the only time money would likely to change hands in this country would be if my stranger subject was perhaps homeless or someone down on their luck. I would never take that persons photograph anyway but that's a whole different subject for a different thread.
Out shooting my project, I have had a lot of interaction with homeless people chatted with them for some time but never asked to make their portrait.

Yes, the worst that could happen when you ask to take someone's photograph is that they say no. I've had loads of refusals but always in good grace. I wish the person a good day and move on.

Just found your Facebook page and will be following your work there too.

So a 50mm lens is obviously your lens of choice for this sort of street portraiture work?

Fab love them lain. Great that you share so much info on your thought process when setting the photos up too. If you use a reflector on some how large are we talking just thinking as the 5 in ones I have are about 1m circle. I recently purchased a 12 inch one though and wondered if this teeny weeny one would be of use as I could hold that ?

Gaz

ps:
I read back some way in the thread but could not see this info so sorry if you allready answered this elswhere.

Just found your Facebook page and will be following your work there too.

So a 50mm lens is obviously your lens of choice for this sort of street portraiture work?

Thanks Brian,
Yes, barring a couple of portraits so far, every one has been shot with the 50mm.
The thinking behind this is that I wanted a consistency about the look of my portraits.
I have a whole range of other lenses but the 50mm is the least obtrusive too, it lives on my camera.

Fab love them lain. Great that you share so much info on your thought process when setting the photos up too. If you use a reflector on some how large are we talking just thinking as the 5 in ones I have are about 1m circle. I recently purchased a 12 inch one though and wondered if this teeny weeny one would be of use as I could hold that ?

Gaz

ps:
I read back some way in the thread but could not see this info so sorry if you allready answered this elswhere.

Thanks Gary,
I use a lastolite tri-flector which is 120cm. It has a handle for ease of use.
The 12 inch reflector you have should be fine for head and shoulders shots. I generally pose the strangers in open shade to get that flat even light, a small reflector would lift the shadows on the face and just add a nice catchlight to the eyes.

No worries, I don't think I've posted this info in this thread. Even if I have, I don't mind, as you may have gathered, I like to talk.

No worries, I don't think I've posted this info in this thread. Even if I have, I don't mind, as you may have gathered, I like to talk.
:))) Me too. Mostly about rubbish really but passes the time of day :)

Thanks for the info.
Gaz

Thanks Gary,
I use a lastolite tri-flector which is 120cm. It has a handle for ease of use.
The 12 inch reflector you have should be fine for head and shoulders shots. I generally pose the strangers in open shade to get that flat even light, a small reflector would lift the shadows on the face and just add a nice catchlight to the eyes.

Glad to hear you like to talk Iain because I like to ask questions - particularly when something grabs my imagination the way this has! You say you use a Lastolite triflector - had to Google that as I only have a standard circular reflector bought from eBay. The triflector appears to be a stand model, not something that would be handheld. Could it be the trigrip reflector you use?

Brian

Glad to hear you like to talk Iain because I like to ask questions - particularly when something grabs my imagination the way this has! You say you use a Lastolite triflector - had to Google that as I only have a standard circular reflector bought from eBay. The triflector appears to be a stand model, not something that would be handheld. Could it be the trigrip reflector you use?

Brian

Yes Brian, that's the one!
I will be venturing into off camera flash with this project too.
I have the necessary equipment, lightweight light stands etc. just need to get myself up to London of an evening.
I always wish to learn and this will be a good opportunity which will also put a different spin/look on the portraits I make.

Yes Brian, that's the one!
I will be venturing into off camera flash with this project too.
I have the necessary equipment, lightweight light stands etc. just need to get myself up to London of an evening.
I always wish to learn and this will be a good opportunity which will also put a different spin/look on the portraits I make.

I look forward to seeing these too:)

More excellent work lain & another welcoming smile :)

Thanks Paul,
I took a few shots of Katt without smile but the smiling version certainly works a lot better.
A quick interaction but I got a sense of what Katt was like in that short space of time and the smiley version won it, no brainier!

Love the mosaic in colour on the 1st page. Really shows the difference in personalities

Thanks Mike, I had the collage in my minds eye when I had completed the first 100 strangers.

Three very nice Shots Iain, the first one in particular I like very much.(y)

George.

Fabulous images here. I really like the "100 Strangers" concept. I don't know if it's something I'd dare to do, but I'd love to have a go. I don't think Leicestarians (I've just invented that!!) would buy into this!

Three very nice Shots Iain, the first one in particular I like very much.(y)

George.

Thanks George, of the three, Helga's portrait is my favourite too.
I think it's the light that does it for me, not taking anything away from Helga, she made a lovely model.

Fabulous images here. I really like the "100 Strangers" concept. I don't know if it's something I'd dare to do, but I'd love to have a go. I don't think Leicestarians (I've just invented that!!) would buy into this!

Haha, thanks Mark!
I dare you to have a go, take the concept to the good people of Leicester, you'll be surprised!

Wow not sure how I haven't seen these before !

I'm almost equally inspired and humbled by this wonderful selection of portraits !

I salute you for creating such a stunning body of work - I am now off to sulk about my apparent lack of talent !

Wow not sure how I haven't seen these before !

I'm almost equally inspired and humbled by this wonderful selection of portraits !

I salute you for creating such a stunning body of work - I am now off to sulk about my apparent lack of talent !

Thanks Justin, kind words indeed.
The larger 100 strangers project that these portraits are taken from has been a revelation to me. It's really caught my enthusiasm and glad that it reflects in my work.

Fantastic work, loving all of them so far. I have been trying to build up the courage to start a project like this for some time now, coming up with all sorts of excuses like i might get punched, or I need a small camera (I have a 5d) but effectively always talking myself out of it. I notice most of your shots are taken with a D4/50mm. How do you find using it on the streets? Do you take other street shots too aside from your portraits?

@antc
Thanks Anthony. Yes, that's my preferred set up. I also have a D700 which without the grip and coupled with the 50mm would be the most inconspicuous I could be but I've never had issues with the D4 which is massive.
I think you'd be very unfortunate to receive that kind of reaction to asking to make someone's portrait. I have obviously had people decline but never any negativity in response.
I do take other street shots when I'm out but I have been a little consumed by the 100 strangers project and quite blinkered to it.
I have told myself that I need to widen my outlook when out and about. It is something I intend to work on and have the strangers project running in the background and not primary when I am out with my camera.

@antc
Thanks Anthony. Yes, that's my preferred set up. I also have a D700 which without the grip and coupled with the 50mm would be the most inconspicuous I could be but I've never had issues with the D4 which is massive.
I think you'd be very unfortunate to receive that kind of reaction to asking to make someone's portrait. I have obviously had people decline but never any negativity in response.
I do take other street shots when I'm out but I have been a little consumed by the 100 strangers project and quite blinkered to it.
I have told myself that I need to widen my outlook when out and about. It is something I intend to work on and have the strangers project running in the background and not primary when I am out with my camera.

Thankyou Iain, I appreciate your response. Think Im just going to get out there and give it a try, If I can come back with results similar to yours I will be a happy man.

Thankyou Iain, I appreciate your response. Think Im just going to get out there and give it a try, If I can come back with results similar to yours I will be a happy man.

You're welcome Anthony, I would say go for it, don't overthink it, and have a good idea of which settings you're likely to use for whatever effect you are aiming for. Shallow depth of field etc. it just takes something else out of the equation when shooting the portraits and you can concentrate on the engagement/interaction with your subject. Good luck!

Back