weekly StuartPearson 52 for 2020 - Week 51 - Decor(ate)

I think this works rather well with the processing you have used.

Thanks for the setup picture as well - and the background story. I like the shot very much - the fortuitous composition works, and the processing suits.

I like that good processing and nicely laid out. My only slight issue is the tip of the cutter on the bench appears to have been cut off.

Good idea for a take on the theme. Nicely processed. It's good to have a peek behind the scenes.

Nicely laid out Stuart.
Do you do much leather work?
Its exactly the tools I used to use when I made my own Falconry furniture ( kit for the birds)

Love the shot, especially after the explanation... made me chuckle. It was really good to see how you set that shot up, the equipment and lighting used and positioning.

Nicely laid out Stuart.
Do you do much leather work?
Its exactly the tools I used to use when I made my own Falconry furniture ( kit for the birds)

I actually picked up the tools at a bargain price, with the intention of using them to add pop fasteners to vinyl black and white sections cut from a longer piece. I was hoping to effectively create a backdrop I could add to as required, by just connecting another section, unfortunately the theory was a lot more positive sounding than the end result though!

Yep - lovely punchy mono :)

I may have darkened down the racking/holder a bit.
It works though and the tools are arranged well.

I like the way you have set them up and the b/w suits it

Well composed shot, and if you hadn't shown us the making of I would never have guessed that the stand is bright red. So well done for the B&W processing!

I may have darkened down the racking/holder a bit.
It works though and the tools are arranged well.

Great suggestion about darkening the tool rack, the red of the rack and the tool handles do merge together a bit, some extra contrast would have been better.

This is a clever and funny shot, Stuart, so well done for telling the way it developed :) It definitely raised a smile here and thanks for including the 'behind the scenes' shot to show the scale and set up. Like the others, I would never have guessed the shelf was red so the B&W processing works well (y)

Week 4 - Discarded “Technology”

Knew what I wanted to create but putting the theory into practice wasn’t straightforward and not 100% happy with the results. I know we have audio tapes somewhere but couldn’t track any down to add to the collection

View: https://flic.kr/p/2ikWEcB

Behind the scenes:

EC99C2F3-1072-4B10-9714-39F1EC0407C7.jpeg

Although I knew what I wanted to produce, I came across a scene today that could be classed as “double discarded” and would also have been suitable as an entry.

8CCBDFA3-F4EC-4D26-8A4F-308F1B7505D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Great idea for the theme and very well executed, one small niggle, am I the only person who still uses VHS!:rolleyes:

Nice image.

I did think of using my old cassettes, but I literally binned them the week before. And, as much as I want to take part in this, I wasn't going to dive head first into our wheelie bin to fish them out.

I did take a pic when they were in the bin outside the door though.

82296972_10156663695091021_9194265614720434176_n.jpg

And...

83741612_10156664208066021_4073076142888714240_n.jpg

Interesting discarded tapes / phone etc, Stuart
Personally, I think the bin and the rubbish bag is the better image.

Nice image.

I did think of using my old cassettes, but I literally binned them the week before. And, as much as I want to take part in this, I wasn't going to dive head first into our wheelie bin to fish them out.

I did take a pic when they were in the bin outside the door though.

I was under the impression photographers do anything to get their image, getting in the bin doesn’t sound that bad!!

That’s a great selection of music, in my younger years I wasn’t interested in music but did have many tapes for the spectrum games!!

Great idea for the theme and very well executed, one small niggle, am I the only person who still uses VHS!:rolleyes:

The only VHS tapes I still have are old family videos, though they have been converted to DVD to protect the memories.

I could put my hands on a VHS, a 3 1/2" floppy and an old Nokia, but I don't think I've had my hands on a 5 1/4 floppy disk in years
Works for the theme and technique. I'm just left wondering if there was a more imaginative composition than the flat plan layout.

I could put my hands on a VHS, a 3 1/2" floppy and an old Nokia, but I don't think I've had my hands on a 5 1/4 floppy disk in years
Works for the theme and technique. I'm just left wondering if there was a more imaginative composition than the flat plan layout.

I agree it does look flat but do not think I could have achieved the silhouette technique in a different way, if you have any suggestions feel free to provide them. The 5 1/4 floppy disks were used to load the software on the railway telephone exchanges quite a few years ago, no longer needed but nothing is ever “chucked out”, unless someone is paying to get it done. I‘m sure it was around 20 disks to load the full system, there still all on site in mint condition.

Great set of images Stuart!(y)
I still have a loft full of VHS...in fact I had a very similar idea, which I have had to rethink...'cos you stole it!!:LOL::LOL:
I'm kidding of course, I like the top-down/back-lit technique, and while it hasn't quite yielded a perfect silhouette, it still works well.
And I haven't seen a 5¼ inch floppy for years!
Still have my old Nokia, and my even older original Motorla MicroTAC Flip phone too.

Nice work Stuart!

Fits theme and technique.. as with some of the others I prefer #2 I'm afraid.

Thats just you being modest Tim!

I like the old tech shot a blast from the past a nice composition too.

Reactions: LC2
A varied collection of discarded items, I can't pick a favourite.

Nice take on discarded, I can't believe you still have floppy disks and VHS tapes!

Nice take on discarded, I can't believe you still have floppy disks and VHS tapes!

:) Working in the railway telecom department there’s a lot of legacy systems that still have floppy disks (though only the 3 1/2 variety, not the older 5 1/4), the video tape was up the loft with all the other items you gain over the years.

It's the first photo that get my attention. Maybe because it's quite a graphical shot.

Very imaginative, I like the first one. The black background really does off the colours well.

First one for me too, very nice and creative :)

They are making my eyes go funny Stuart. :D
Great idea, 1st for me too, I love the colours.

#1 for me as its appears much sharper. 10 out of 10 for creativity!

Back