weekly StuartPearson 52 for 2020 - Week 51 - Decor(ate)

Clever stuff!

Very clever shot, like it a lot, but what is a light loop please?

Very clever shot, like it a lot, but what is a light loop please?

Its a hula hoop with 24 lights daisy chained around it connected to a controller which is powered by a rechargeable USB battery. Each of the lights can potentially be one of 16 million colours, although I use a 256 colour list and select from that. The controller has a WiFi interface, I send preformatted text to its web address from my phone and by changing the numbers on the sent data I can define the colours and the delay between them.

ah, I think I've worked out how you did it now, very clever and imaginative
I can see why you were torn between #1&3, but I think you're right choosing #1.
that said, I do like the fade on #3

No 1 for me very creative and an original idea. Really stood out in the main thread.

Super!! I always find these shots interesting but I would not know where to start! I think I'll leave it to those who know!!

Week 6 - Wild

My take is Wild Party, this is the morning after!!
Not 100% happy with the image but this was the most in focus, it is a single image, I created the following image in advance which I am holding on a phone whilst taking the photo.

6C5BCCBC-6556-46F4-9BF8-D4B86D34C646.jpeg

if I had realised how little of the image would be visible I wouldn’t have edited the bottle image as much.

I’m not sure where the yellow shading at the top has came from but all attempts to remove it were too obvious so it stays as is.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2iqMdka

Last edited:
Snappers choice - very clever, I like 3 and 1 too. 3 just pips it for me.
Wild - great reflection in the eye very clever.

Hi Stuart,
I love the hula hoop, I like it in its minimalistic form. So it’s the orange with the black background for me, my friends fiancé is making me a light sabre stick to attempt something similar like this. Thumbs up from me for ingenuity and take on a subject.

my friends fiancé is making me a light sabre stick to attempt something similar like this. Thumbs up from me for ingenuity and take on a subject.

When a get a chance I’m going to do a write up on the my DIY RGB light system and share the circuit layout and Arduino (ESP8266) code for anyone that’s interested.

Great "morning after" shot Stuart.
I like the way you blurred it slightly.

Very imaginative and clever shot.

Week 6. Wild - very clever. I thought at first you had used photoshop to superimpose the bottles image.

Week 5. Love the colours on the black background. I must go back and read how you did it :)

Last edited:
Both photos work, I like the reflection in the eye, but the blurry bottle's had my vote.

Great idea for the eye and reflection for wild party - I wonder if a crop of the top to get rid of most of the odd yellow shading and perhaps simplifying the bottle and painkiller shot would help.

Great idea for the eye and reflection for wild party - I wonder if a crop of the top to get rid of most of the odd yellow shading and perhaps simplifying the bottle and painkiller shot would help.

I did consider a tighter crop but wanted to keep the shape of the eye complete, so was left between the proverbial rock and hard place!

When a get a chance I’m going to do a write up on the my DIY RGB light system and share the circuit layout and Arduino (ESP8266) code for anyone that’s interested.

Ohhh I would be all over that when you have the time.. I love this kinda stuff and I love your photos with the system.

Hi Stuart,
Excellent start to your 52. Great shot of the Kelpies. I too cannot fathom the reason behind all that extra light pollution! The difference in your second shot is amazing.
Great to see Cody catching bubbles. Your second shot is way better. Looks like Cody is going to get extra bubble time so you can practise and nail that shot.
Great shot and story for your Tools image. Very creative :)
Love the shot for Discarded. Interesting take on the theme. Well done for having all that old tech too.
Snapper's choice is excellent! I've never managed to get a decent orb. Your first one is spectacular! :clap:
Both shots for Wild are great fun. I really like the first one with the ICM. It really makes it!

The Snapper's choice is excellent! I've never managed to get a decent orb. Your first one is spectacular!

Thanks for the great comments, the reason the light circle is spectacular is probably because it’s not a orb created by spinning a light around. It is a hula hoop with leds around the edge, the hoop is mounted on a “lazy Susan” rotating mechanism which allows a perfect spin. If you look at the second image you will see the mechanism on the floor, all I had to do was program the light sequence and spin the hoop for half a rotation

Week 7 - Broken

This is my half of the mizpah pendant, it’s had a number of repairs throughout the last 27 years after getting damaged, it’s just about hanging on.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2iuUJFa

I would needed to be an octopus to get the photo exactly as I wanted, here’s another image I considered which has the shadow of the magnifying glass but ultimately I wanted the soldering iron in the photo which reduced the shadow.

5F6E53EC-F7C0-4930-968C-9AC363AFD8FA.jpeg

When I tried to use a lower ISO the shutter speed ended up at 30 seconds, this resulted in this image where the soldering iron moves in and out the photo creating a ghostly effect!

47CD5E8E-6D61-489C-A102-C907180930BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice idea for the theme... looks like lots of attempts to get it right so well done on the final image.

Interesting subject and very well executed, the use of the magnifier is great.

Hi Stuart,
It’s the first one for me, I probably would have cropped in to eliminate the shadow but that’s just my OCD kicking in :)

Love the last image in snappers choice, very ingenious take.
Number 2 for me for the broken theme, pity about the chain on the lower left though.
You must have some gadgets in your house Stuart

Last edited:
Nice use of the magnifier in the broken shots :) well taken.

Week 8 - Ability

View: https://flic.kr/p/2iwSV66

The SOOC image before editing in Affinity Photo IPad app

FFD6CCE4-E062-4EC9-B6D0-AB5BBA7C8EF0.jpeg

Extensive use of the clone tool to remove unwanted areas with selective adjustment to the darts and background separately. Would like to say I achieved the bullseye quickly but it took many attempts and almost gave up. I used an off camera flash in multi mode but that wasn’t as easy as I hoped. I have now discovered my YN568 (v3) purchased some time ago from CEX does not trigger when connected to my Panasonic G5 (MFT) camera. In order to trigger it I needed to use my cheaper JY10II flash not connected to the camera where I pressed the pilot button which then optically fired the YN568 flash. So in order to capture the dart in flight I needed to press the pilot button shortly after releasing the dart, and hope I had timed it right while trying to hit the bullseye.

Last edited:
The lengths we go to sometimes for our images eh Stuart?
Well thought out and well executed

It sounds like a right old palaver. But you've managed to come out on top.
My only little niggle is the funny bit on the left hand side of the dartboard.

Back