Week 47 - Culture
Week 48 - Living
Week 49 - Still Life
Week 50 - Miniscule
Week 51 - Season(al)
Week 52 - Showcase

Last edited:
Week 0 Practice - Nearby

A walk in the park with my dog, might have tried for more variations with the image if dog's were happy being tied up and not walking!! That and it was bitterly cold. This is part of the INEOS plant visible from the park a short walk from my house. This is a 30 second exposure with a very cheap graduated ND filter in front of the lens.

BF7350F9-A7C9-4A9F-9041-252FB258F8EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Fascinating plumes of steam/smoke. Well done for standing out in the cold doing long exposures :) And well done to your patient dogs!

The steam from the cooling stacks is near perfect - very nice!

Which way up did you use your grad? Was it to hold back to lower part of that image (ie "upside down" from traditional use?) Either way - it's very effective!

A lovely bit of longness to start the year!

I like the steam/smoke the long exposure worked well

The steam from the cooling stacks is near perfect - very nice!

Which way up did you use your grad? Was it to hold back to lower part of that image (ie "upside down" from traditional use?) Either way - it's very effective!
Yes, it was upside down, here is an image with no filter. One night I actually witnessed all the steam going directly up on a cloudless night with no wind at all, when I took the camera the following night the wind and clouds were back. It would have been an impressive image.
3091C2B8-830C-4FA8-BF96-0BDFAA8AA74C.jpeg

Very nice Stuart. As others have said those smoke trails are quite dramatic!

The steam works really well for a long exposure. Nice capture in what sounds like difficult circumstances.

A nice Image Stuart, the grad filter make it a very interesting shot. My dog does not like being tied up, but he will have to get used to it if it enables me to take photos whilst out exercising.

Pete

It reminds me of a capsized boat - a banana spilt as well as split :D The red is eye catching - are they pomegranate seeds?

There seems to be a lot of fruit on black backgrounds this week and I have to say it really works here too.

It reminds me of a capsized boat - a banana spilt as well as split :D The red is eye catching - are they pomegranate seeds?

There seems to be a lot of fruit on black backgrounds this week and I have to say it really works here too.
The red fruit are grapes, I have edited their colour to make them more like a glace cherry that I associate with a banana split :banana:

Banana Split or Banana Spilt ;)
A fun image with some nice colours and looks like a lot of work has gone into it. (y)

It could really do with being bigger on the forum. Can I ask what device you are using for the upload (I'm guessing phone/tablet rather than a pc - because it doesn't look like you're using the "embed bbcode" option from flickr - which would let you specify a larger size).

Banana Split or Banana Spilt ;)
A fun image with some nice colours and looks like a lot of work has gone into it. (y)

It could really do with being bigger on the forum. Can I ask what device you are using for the upload (I'm guessing phone/tablet rather than a pc - because it doesn't look like you're using the "embed bbcode" option from flickr - which would let you specify a larger size).
I'm using an iPad, however I just paste the link from the Flickr image itself. Is the embed bbcode only available on a desktop?

Possibly. It's certainly not available in the flickr app on my (android) phone
On the desktop (web) it's this icon
View attachment 305353
Thanks for the info, it's not listed on the iPad when viewing in the safari browser, I will investigate further and if necessary use my laptop to get the images larger

Nice shot - defo better as a photo rather then a thumbnail!

I like both images.

I do like long exposures, but I've never successfully captured one myself.

And the Banana split (or spilt (@LC2 beat me to the gag)) is really well thought through and executed.

At first I thought you were going to claim it was deconstructed Banana split - like you get in poncy restaurants.

Last edited:
At first I thought you were going to claim it was deconstructed Banana split - like you get in poncy restaurants
I've seen my fair share of TV cookery programmes to remember a few deconstructed dishes, loving the 'poncy' restaurants phrasing, it just describes them perfectly :D

It looks like a lot has gone into this .... and I don't know what to make of it. :oops: :$

A wet muddy paw is definitely on theme.

I no longer have a dog, but I must say I don't miss the mud and wet after a winter walk. My lab used to like lying in every muddy puddle he could find.

Fruit - Clever Idea and well carried out, I really like it so much better when we can see it properly too.
Dirty - yep that's dirty, I expect there are 3 more in similar condition.

Fruit is a really interesting shot - I could keep my eyes moving around it for a good long while, but I must admit I wouldn't have known it was fruit without the Flickr title.

Dirty - great! Sharp and definitely grubby..! Hopefully attached to a very happy pooch!

Fruit
It's a good pov, composition and lighting. I like it.

Dirty
I now all about dirty dogs, I've taught our lab to sit on a towel on the doorstep before she walks any further into the house.

Last edited:
Well that's certainly dirty! A photo of the back of the car would have been good too. I always wonder what the local dog walkers' car looks like...

Back