weekly StuartPearson 52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase

I'm not sure how you've achieved it, but I think it's a great shot. Very clever!!

Looking to last week - nicely lit portrait. It's not a genre I know much about, but I think the suggestions about a very slight crop off the top might work. Eyes are nice and sharp and a beautiful model.

For my portrait I was a bit surprised with comments about a crop from the top, I thought that would "cramp" it more. I did agree with someone's comment it was passport photo like. The model, my daughter will be happy with your comments. It's definitely something I'm going to attempt more.

For my "Pair" image the background is a piece of black card, I made a Yin and Yin type pattern using two interlocking pieces of paper. I held the paper in a magic arm and put a pen sized torch in one of the symbol portion that projected the shape on the card. I added an ND filter for the black circle, with a lens thread reducer and a piece of white paper for the white circle. I was hoping to make the outer circle using light but ran out of means to hold something. I resorted to a circle crop on the image and placed it on a white rectangle in post editing.

For my portrait I was a bit surprised with comments about a crop from the top, I thought that would "cramp" it more.
That was my first thought too and I wondered if they meant to crop off the top which is what some people do - like Peter Hurley - but if I scroll the page and just take a little off, not much, I think it works. Just did a screen shot with it scrolled. Mind you portraits aren't my thing, so feel free to ignore me!!

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 19.52.29-1.jpg

That was my first thought too and I wondered if they meant to crop off the top which is what some people do - like Peter Hurley - but if I scroll the page and just take a little off, not much, I think it works. Just did a screen shot with it scrolled. Mind you portraits aren't my thing, so feel free to ignore me!!

I put your screenshot crop and the original side by side and would agree there was some improvement, but I suppose its down to personal taste. I will experiment with my future portraits to see where it takes me. Thanks for the critique

I put your screenshot crop and the original side by side and would agree there was some improvement, but I suppose its down to personal taste. I will experiment with my future portraits to see where it takes me. Thanks for the critique
Very minor and I wouldn't' have thought of it if it hadn't been mentioned already so I can't be credited with noticing :)

I think a lot of things do come down to personal taste in photography. Just this evening I have been looking at league results for our camera club - it's fascinating the variation in marks from one judge to another - literally from a 10 to a 6.5 for the same image (highest and lowest).

That guy Peter Hurley is quite interesting. It was after watching one of his videos years ago that I realised you should never ask anyone to smile for the camera.

I really like your pair image Stuart. I am glad you gave a little insight as to how you created it. It's very striking with the high contrast look to it.
I did have to keep going back and forth a few times on your how you achieved it post before I finally 'got it' :)

For my "Pair" image the background is a piece of black card, I made a Yin and Yin type pattern using two interlocking pieces of paper. I held the paper in a magic arm and put a pen sized torch in one of the symbol portion that projected the shape on the card. I added an ND filter for the black circle, with a lens thread reducer and a piece of white paper for the white circle. I was hoping to make the outer circle using light but ran out of means to hold something. I resorted to a circle crop on the image and placed it on a white rectangle in post editing.

(y)Clever stuff

Very interesting, yet intriguing, result. I like the metallic look.

Week 7 - Depict a film title

Film title
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Ending up doing more in post processing than I was hoping for I'm trying to make it more realistic. The background is one of my images taken on holiday (remember those !) which I have added a motion blur filter in Affinity Photo, which I then printed at A3 size. I think that's one of the first A3 prints I have done on my printer. The camera is mounted on a mini "dolly" type accessory that I purchased ages ago from eBay when I bought random hardware that was going to take my photography to a new level. The camera is moved slightly across the scene after pressing the shutter. Here is the BTS image.

398AE820-76F2-4BFB-B39B-B3CA385A839C.jpeg

With the movement the dolly achieved I might have got away with the background as taken without the motion filter.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Bullitt?

Thanks for the explanation of how you did it - that really adds to it.

I'm thinking Bullitt?

Thanks for the explanation of how you did it - that really adds to it.
Not Bullitt.
If you recognise the main car you should work out the film series, doesn't help that the engine part blends a bit with the background

I'm scratching my head on this one too. I like the thinking behind the final image - thanks for sharing.

Fast and the Furious? "Nice how to". I didn't spot it was a toy at first. Great work.

Wow, this is damned clever. I thought they were real cars until seeing the pullback shot.

There is something a bit random about the blur ... when you study it, and know how it's done. But who cares. It's a fab racy effect.

Its a little busy maybe, although I know why (+technique).
A bit less fruit and concentrating on the reflections would work better i feel

Its a little busy maybe, although I know why (+technique).
A bit less fruit and concentrating on the reflections would work better i feel
I agree, less would have been more with the image and I still could have achieved the technique, I probably post my images too quick without going back and looking again after the actual session is over. This image I think looks better with the reflections more evident but doesn’t fill the frame, still too busy though especially the grapes.

C29533C9-EEDE-4A7A-BD14-BCA862C2B16F.jpeg

Last edited:
Half
Both shot work for me, I think the first one could do with a bit punch in the colours.

It looked to me like they were floating in water... I think Allan nailed it. It's neither a wide shot of a lot of fruit, nor is it close up. I think it could do with a closer crop of one piece, focussing as Allan said, on the reflection.

I quite like the first image, the way it's cropped in works for me, personally. Good take on the theme.

I prefer #2 ... less crowded, less harsh light. But I always like simplicity like, say, three half strawberries is enough halves.

Like you I was trying to get the technique this week, so we're a little forced on our composition. I like the first one more. Colours look great on my laptop and the reflections are nice. Highlights are a little tricky - not sure if it's possible to overcome those though.

The second image works better for me... they look like they are floating.

Interesting abstracty take on the theme Stuart. Very creative.

nice abstract for Reflection, I had to look twice to work out what it was, but it works very well.

It's a really pleasing image to me, great idea.
The composition works well and I like the difference between the additional detail in the actual hand, and the complete absence of that in the reflection. The neon blue and black is a nice combination.

Love it. Great idea, well executed. So simple and yet it works really well. I could see this as a big print on the wall at a music studio or nightclub.

Thanks for the comments, here is another couple of images created the same way, it was a nightmare trying to press the shutter and focus on the lit hand at the same time. I did try a tripod but was getting more success without it. I did resort to wearing a gloves for the later images as the wires were restrictive and left their mark!!

BA78A6A6-DF16-44E8-A9A9-2058DD7A0054.jpeg

F8ECBD55-3F52-40C1-80DF-2F9358E8201E.jpeg

Last edited:
That's just brilliant Stuart, very effective. An abstract feel whilst still being able to see what it is. Good work.

Back