Stuck indoors, had some fun with my new Raynox

Name
Glenn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

So the photography show was postponed, and so was the Six Nations, so I decided to give myself a project to keep me out of the rain and the pub. I got hold of a Raynox macro adapter and decided to dip my toe into the world of photographing small stuff. I learned a fair bit about focussing, depth of field, lighting and so on, but I ended up being captivated by taking some images of soap bubbles (I'm easily pleased!). It made for a fun couple of hours on a rainy Saturday.

They aren't what I'd call 'accomplished' images but they do make some pretty patterns, and the colours are amazing. These were all shot using a Fuji x-t3, 55-200 with a Raynox DCR-150. I used an off-camera flash gun held over a diffuser above the bubbles - this is the tricky part, where you need three arms and a clamp. Preferably a volunteer bubble-blower too.

The bubbles were just washing-up liquid, water and a bit of glycerine. Apparently glycerine helps stop the bubbles bursting too quickly. It's not hard, but it takes patience!

The colour gradients and small detail means these aren't well suited to small jpeg sizes, but here's what I managed.

_DSF1536_small.jpg

_DSF1524_small.jpg
_DSF1450_small.jpg
_DSF1394_small.jpg
_DSF1366_small.jpg.

Enjoy!

Back