Stunning Scottish Coastline & Talented Model

Nice set, I prefer the ones where she's wearing the red dress. Shot ones my favourite

Nice set, I prefer the ones where she's wearing the red dress. Shot ones my favourite

Agreed, the contrast between the dress and the settings really marks it as something special for me

i think Tantallon castle is ruined with her being in the frame
she is nice but the background does not go very well with her thats just my opinion

Compositionally, #1, #2 and #3 are my picks! (y)

Darren, I think you were trapped by the red dress… way too shiny.
Both the low key of the BG and the specular surface of the dress
are influencing negatively your result… specially with her pale skin.

The lower key of the BG forces a light metering that blows up the
high lights on her chest and the shine of the dress — thighs & legs,
are not helping much either, IMO

The white dress, OTH, — since it is not as specular — works a lot
better though some support light to soften the harsh shadows would
have been of great help. Always just my opinion. :cool:

Each to their own guess. However it would then be posted in the 'landscape' section and not 'people and portraits'

You beat me to it!

I do wonder why some folk venture into people & portraits at all :)

I don't often get the urge to comment on landscape pics that they'd be improved by a bit of human interest ;)

.. or rather - I do, but I keep the comments to myself ..

Each to their own guess. However it would then be posted in the 'landscape' section and not 'people and portraits'

I'm sorry you didn't like my agreeing with Holty's observations (don't shoot the messenger springs to mind)
perhaps it should have been in Landscapes looking at the title "stunning Scottish coastline"

I do wonder why some folk venture into people & portraits at all :)

because we like photography and try not to be stereo typical over subjects & genres. :whistle:
isn't this section for C&C? then if people don't want criticism don't post! ;)

Last edited:
I'm sorry you didn't like my agreeing with Holty's observations (don't shoot the messenger springs to mind)
perhaps it should have been in Landscapes looking at the title "stunning Scottish coastline"

because we like photography and try not to be stereo typical over subjects & genres. :whistle:
isn't this section for C&C? then if people don't want criticism don't post! ;)

I'm all for constructive 'critique' myself. However, comments should be just that, 'constructive'. I personally do not feel that comments suggesting that an image posted in a 'people and portraits' section would look better without the model in the shot are particularly constructive, nor do they aid or benefit the progression of anyones learning or skills.

Other comments on here however have been greatly received and are appreciated ;)

On the first shot, the lead in lines from the stonework 'wall' unfortunately lead straight past the subject and onto the castle ruins in the background. Apart from that I bet it was a bit cold in that first outfit, given the weather of late. The comments regards the specular nature of such a dress are correct, although the colour itself works well with the other natural colours around the scene.

Last edited:
#4 for me, with #5 next up. The models outfit is more sympathetic to the location, but the background isolation looks a little off, I would have been perhaps tempted to soften that up and blur it back with a little dip in exposure in post, I find the red outfit to out of place, the colour works but the fabric less so. my tastes, I would have preferred a stormy sky full of drama, as that would have set all the images off, but there is little you can do about the weather. so still a good job. :)

A unique setting, a prominent subject in red portraying resplendent, blatant poses.

If .. in the first three, the castle could be totally removed with the sky/landscape remaining would they be top drawer? Yeah, it works I think with that blue sky, landscape, wonderful 'Lady in Red' and no castle.

Excellent conceptualism.:cool:

Back