Stupid FaceBook problem

Edit My Images
Yes
OK - Fruity phone , iPad, MacBook pro user - not skilled but they work for me.

Have had to keep a few FaceBook pages available [ mainly Church ones ] BUT I'm not actually 'ON' FB. I'm on too many things and spend far too much time on the internet as it is - so the FB Use I have is very limited.

All went well , as usual, after several years working this way , until early December when it decided to give me the big Log In or Join banner. The exception to this was my Church's one which gave me that, but with the small ' not now' link at the bottom of the big banner. None of the other 4 Sites I needed to look at for updates had that 'not now' link.

After a couple of frustrating days all returned to 'normal'

UNTIL Monday when it happened again - only my own Church's page is possible - banner problems again for everyone else.

I've cleared Cookies , tried private Browsing and even switched to FireFox [ which before actually 'doing' anything updated itself] .

I shouldn't have bothered - I'm still only getting useable access to the one page.

I really really really don't want to join FaceBook but unless one of you bright folk have any ideas to solve this pesky problem I may well have to.

Thoughts please ?

I sympathise - I think that Farcebook is a load of garbage. My local community council uses it to post messages and monthly meeting minutes. There is no way I am going to suffer a load of Fannybook adverts and inane posts just read drivel posted by people who cannot use a better means of communication.

There is a word for this - neo-luddism :)

I sympathise - I think that Farcebook is a load of garbage. My local community council uses it to post messages and monthly meeting minutes. There is no way I am going to suffer a load of Fannybook adverts and inane posts just read drivel posted by people who cannot use a better means of communication.
It's a tool. If it does nothing you need, then don't use it. Easy enough.

I don't see inane posts on my facebook, but I'm not friends with inane people.

It's a tool. If it does nothing you need, then don't use it. Easy enough.

I don't see inane posts on my facebook, but I'm not friends with inane people.

"If it does nothing you need, then don't use it. "

Wonderful - if you and your friends can use it and are happy with what you all post that is just dandy. However, when councils use it as their sole means of conveying information to the public that then attracts comments from a variety of mentally challenged types it is a menace.

The problem arises when it happens to be the only means of obtaining certain information otherwise I would avoid it.

OK - Fruity phone , iPad, MacBook pro user - not skilled but they work for me.

Have had to keep a few FaceBook pages available [ mainly Church ones ] BUT I'm not actually 'ON' FB. I'm on too many things and spend far too much time on the internet as it is - so the FB Use I have is very limited.

All went well , as usual, after several years working this way , until early December when it decided to give me the big Log In or Join banner. The exception to this was my Church's one which gave me that, but with the small ' not now' link at the bottom of the big banner. None of the other 4 Sites I needed to look at for updates had that 'not now' link.

After a couple of frustrating days all returned to 'normal'

UNTIL Monday when it happened again - only my own Church's page is possible - banner problems again for everyone else.

I've cleared Cookies , tried private Browsing and even switched to FireFox [ which before actually 'doing' anything updated itself] .

I shouldn't have bothered - I'm still only getting useable access to the one page.

I really really really don't want to join FaceBook but unless one of you bright folk have any ideas to solve this pesky problem I may well have to.

Thoughts please ?

Try Poper Blocker add on (for Chrome). The FB popups - [the one that asks you to join] - appear, but when they do r/click then click on Remove Overlay. That only brings temporary relief, but is better than nothing.

Try Poper Blocker add on (for Chrome). The FB popups - [the one that asks you to join] - appear, but when they do r/click then click on Remove Overlay. That only brings temporary relief, but is better than nothing.
Thanks for that - will experiment . Didn't really want to install yet another Browser but if it gives me some relief from the stoopid behaviour - then it may well be worth it

There is only one online thing I hate more than Facebook. It is Instagram. Both have the same overlord master. Just dump them. Good old normal website and email newsletters work way better.

Didn't really want to install yet another Browser
I don't know what browser you use, the "blockers" are available for Fire Fox and Opera ( the 2 browsers I use) as well

What really gets to me is this Universal method of using FB as a way of getting to people.

Schools use it to tell parents of important events - e.g. school closure because of inclement weather , road closures etc etc

So what do you do with folk who don't have FB ? or even don't have Internet either. I does happen even in this day and age.

What really gets to me is this Universal method of using FB as a way of getting to people.

Schools use it to tell parents of important events - e.g. school closure because of inclement weather , road closures etc etc

So what do you do with folk who don't have FB ? or even don't have Internet either. I does happen even in this day and age.

Facebook has some serious privacy issues:-
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/14/facebook-privacy-problems-roundup

"If it does nothing you need, then don't use it. "

Wonderful - if you and your friends can use it and are happy with what you all post that is just dandy. However, when councils use it as their sole means of conveying information to the public that then attracts comments from a variety of mentally challenged types it is a menace.

The problem arises when it happens to be the only means of obtaining certain information otherwise I would avoid it.
The problem there is not with facebook, it is with the council and their communications policy (or lack of one). My parish council, aka local talking shop for bored people now the pub's been demolished to make way for houses, puts its minutes on a website.

You can create a 'burner' FB account: false name, location, dob etc that will give you access without popups. It's against their rules, and the worst that can happen is that they delete your trash account.

I used to be on FB with a lot of 'friends', but then permanently deleted the account. Around a year later there were a couple of individuals that I wanted to reconnect with who ONLY worked through FB, so I made an account as above, connected to them alone and have all the same FB access that I had before. It's not ideal (I wish said friends would reply to emails, for example, so that I could ditch the thing completely) but it does work. For a little extra anonymity you could choose one browser that you keep exclusively for Facebook use, so that their tracking cookies cannot follow you elsewhere, and also set it to delete cookies on exit. And never EVER, follow a link from Facebook.

TBH the worst thing about FB for me is that people just spill their brains there without the usual social mores and inhibitions that make society get along acceptably.

Last edited:
You can create a 'burner' FB account: false name, location, dob etc that will give you access without popups. It's against their rules, and the worst that can happen is that they delete your trash account.

I used to be on FB with a lot of 'friends', but then permanently deleted the account. Around a year later there were a couple of individuals that I wanted to reconnect with who ONLY worked through FB, so I made an account as above, connected to them alone and have all the same FB access that I had before. It's not ideal (I wish said friends would reply to emails, for example, so that I could ditch the thing completely) but it does work. For a little extra anonymity you could choose one browser that you keep exclusively for Facebook use, so that their tracking cookies cannot follow you elsewhere, and also set it to delete cookies on exit. And never EVER, follow a link from Facebook.

TBH the worst thing about FB for me is that people just spill their brains there without the usual social mores and inhibitions that make society get along acceptably.

Now that's a possible solution for me :) Thanks for that - I'll cogitate and then get what I need together before actually setting it up

Well - since the various pages I need to access are behaving 'normally' again , I'm not doing anything other than getting organised for the next time it bars me from seeing things - but I can see that making my ID for there is going to be FUN :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions of locations - I've just thought of another - Davy Jones Locker :D :p

Back