Suggestions for mounting/displaying gloss photos

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had some 18x12 gloss images printed, but now I'm not sure on the best way to mount them for hanging on the wall. I particularly wanted them printed in gloss. Gloss behind glass is usually a no-no due to reflections, although that might not be a particular problem for these depending on where I hang them. So, the other idea was just to mount them onto some foam board, but that seems a bit naff. I was wondering about mounting them with a mat in a frame without the glass?

What do you do?

Why is gloss behind glass a no-no? It is almost the standard method and the method I use for exhibitions.

Why is gloss behind glass a no-no? It is almost the standard method and the method I use for exhibitions.

Everything I've read previously has always suggested that gloss prints shouldn't be put behind glass. I guess it must be subjective then. I will try a few and see.

Isn't it to do with it being too reflective or something?

use AR glass, (Anti-reflective glass), with high gloss prints, the coatings on the glass, will stop reflections from the print (internally) and externally stop them as well.
It looks very nice, we sell lots of it, personally i think it works the best on textured matt papers.

Have you tried Satin finish photo paper. These give the 'vibrancy' of a gloss finish without the 'shiny finish'. We recommend it for poster prints as it has the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I wondered if a glossy print behind glass would look bad.
So I tested it for myself. Used a Canon Photo Plus Glossy (PP-101) print from a low-end PIXMA, genuine Canon ink. There was a mount between the print and glass, of about 2mm. The image had a lot of uniform black and a chunk of lighter tree bark detail. To be honest, I tried all sorts to get some annoying reflections and really struggled to make it look bad. I had to use an LED torch in the end and hold it at an angle whilst contorting myself to look from another angle,and it wasn't that bad. There was more shine form the glass!

Now, the problem with gloss is that if anything mars the finish before it goes in under the glass, then you could see some yukky surface marks. this definitely won't happen with matte papers, like photo rag and such, and probably less likely with pearl/lustre types too. Baryta may suffer from the potential to mark the surface sheen, but glossy is the worst, because any change in glossy sheen would be so obvious.

We've got Canon Semi-Gloss SG-201 on order. Will be comparing against the Glossy PP-101 and will probably prefer the semi-gloss, which I understand ain't much different to the more expensive Lustre, and the ICC profiles are the same.

I have just about always used glossy paper behind glass and have had the same experience as you - no glare or reflections to be worth worrying about.

As far as marks on the front of the glossy pictures - just don't ever touch the front. I always wear cotton gloves when handling prints and then I never touch the front.

Clip frames are informal and let the picture speak, and can be got with real glass rather than the often-seen misnomer 'plastic glass'. I've found that you can squeeze in a matt - the clips have just enough give in them. But the edges aren't sealed, and long-term, dust will infiltrate.

I've had some 18x12 gloss images printed, but now I'm not sure on the best way to mount them for hanging on the wall. I particularly wanted them printed in gloss. Gloss behind glass is usually a no-no due to reflections, although that might not be a particular problem for these depending on where I hang them. So, the other idea was just to mount them onto some foam board, but that seems a bit naff. I was wondering about mounting them with a mat in a frame without the glass?

What do you do?

I agree, gloss behind glass loses definition when compared to matt or lustre. It's not that reflections are a specific problem, just the whole thing lacks life.

Anti-reflective glass can work well. However, all but the most expensive stuff has a slight colour cast or grainy finish, and actually lets more UV in than standard glass - which will degrade C Type prints.
ClearColour Plus is the best I've found but there are others too.

All that said.. I've recently started putting non-gloss prints in a frame with a mat but no glass and they look fabulous. For gloss prints I've been very happy with prints direct to Aluminium:
https://www.loxleycolour.com/walldisplay/metal/aluminiprint

Even unframed they look nicely finished and really vibrant.

Back