Suicidal Cyclist

I think attitudes vary massively within the UK too, I have noticed a difference between large towns and more rural areas. My daily commute sees me riding from home through a village and small town on way to the station, and through central London on the other side, and return in the evening. Five days a week for four years I have had no abuse, encountered no road rage or anything like the attitudes displayed here from any motorists. One minor accident (not my fault) which can be put down to how busy the roads are and the driver was most apologetic. But there cycling is so common I think it is just seen as just another mode of transport and just as valid as any other.

If only I could say the same for my home area. I get abuse shouted at me from passing cars a couple of times a week, occasional deliberate close passes and on a few occasion having been forcibly pushed into the kerb. This sort of thing happens even at 6:00am when there are only a handful of cars on the road and people are able to pass easily without any delay. The only conclusion I can come to is that there is a much higher proportion small minded knuckle draggers in rural areas.
I think mostly to do with motorists believing they have the right and priority on roads.

I think mostly to do with motorists believing they have the right and priority on roads.
Oh absolutely. Just like some people think white people have greater rights over blacks. Men over women. Straight over gay. Christians over Muslims. Canon over Nikon.

The world could be a much nicer place if people would stop, apply logic and be a bit more tolerant rather than always needing to be the winner in their own imaginary race.

I gave up road cycling as I stated before as my biggie accident in bright daylight just made me realise how vulnerable I was and no amount of reasonable safety gear was going to keep me safe.
Mine was a taxi driver as well, a professional so I felt pretty low. I ride a motorcycle no problem as you are then with the traffic and not so much a target, myself and mrs bump have mountain bikes and get out on them quite a lot but back roads and cycle/canal paths only now.

It is sad to see such a large group of people within a community being so intolerant, but I suppose at least threads like this serve to group those people and highlight who they are. Maybe they could be given a special badge so they can be easily identified and avoided throughout the rest of the forum?

The special badge is an excellent idea!

lets get this in perspective I don't think ? the majority of cycle haters on here or in the general public have anything against cyclists who behave properly ,pedal along at a normal controllable speed to suit the road/path/weather conditions are polite when passing etc . but its the far to many often passed there sell by date idiots who don lycra thats to tight for them and then proceed to race along with no thought for anyone except themselves ,these types are the problem and really shouldn't be allowed out of the house . also bare in mind what I said earlier the shared cycle path thats local to me where most of the problems take place is mainly just over 6 foot wide ,it was only made into cycle access to appease the cycle round the coastline idea ,.
we even had one idiot on a local faceberk group the other day suggesting that they should open up a cycle track through a privately owned nature reserve as he didn't like having to go around it .
I have also seen with my own eyes a cyclist cut through a wetlands reserve as he thought it would be quicker ,perhaps they should instigate is your brain in your head or your arse test before allowing them on the road/paths

lets get this in perspective I don't think ? the majority of cycle haters on here or in the general public have anything against cyclists who behave properly ,pedal along at a normal controllable speed to suit the road/path/weather conditions are polite when passing etc . but its the far to many often passed there sell by date idiots who don lycra thats to tight for them and then proceed to race along with no thought for anyone except themselves ,these types are the problem and really shouldn't be allowed out of the house . also bare in mind what I said earlier the shared cycle path thats local to me where most of the problems take place is mainly just over 6 foot wide ,it was only made into cycle access to appease the cycle round the coastline idea ,.
we even had one idiot on a local faceberk group the other day suggesting that they should open up a cycle track through a privately owned nature reserve as he didn't like having to go around it .
I have also seen with my own eyes a cyclist cut through a wetlands reserve as he thought it would be quicker ,perhaps they should instigate is your brain in your head or your arse test before allowing them on the road/paths
But exactly the same could be applied to motorists.

Serious question to all you cyclist haters (And my word aren't there a lot of you.)
What is your attitude towards those on horseback, do you regard them with the same contempt or is it just cyclists. And what about other vehicles which impede your important journey, tractors for example.

Hater no. I'm not anti cyclist as a motorist.Nor anti horse or anything else. I do often wonder about the standard of cycling I see though. (Ignoring signals, cutting cars up) and one accident I witnessed last summer was wholy avoidable by the cyclist.

But why do some many cyclist have such an horrific attitude towards pedestrians (especially in no cycling areas) does it not occur that the chap being spat at or called a c*** will be in a car soon?

Last edited:
Someone said about putting the windscreen washer on while passing a cyclist. Damn good idea that! Lol

pretty poor form t obe fair.

I was once on my motorbike filtering past standing traffic and someone flicked there fag out and it landed on my tank, I very deftly (don't think I would ever be able to repeat) tapped it back through the open window at them and then proceeded to watch the mad scramble to find it down the side of the seat.

Reactions: Nod
I started this thread after being subjected to the invisible cyclist, on sunny day when the sun was low in the sky.
Today it's been misty, light rain, overcast and dull and yet again I see them in their dark clothes.no lights this time I did see a near miss
someone coming the other way not me
Is it wrong to feel that people should take some responsibility for their own safety and accept that looking good in your
lycra or whatever is less important then actually being seen ?

I started this thread after being subjected to the invisible cyclist, on sunny day when the sun was low in the sky.
Today it's been misty, light rain, overcast and dull and yet again I see them in their dark clothes.no lights this time I did see a near miss
someone coming the other way not me
Is it wrong to feel that people should take some responsibility for their own safety and accept that looking good in your
lycra or whatever is less important then actually being seen ?

That works two ways though.

Just last week on two consecutive days (but different junctions) I almost got side swiped by a white van and an Audi A3 that both ignored the give way sign.
I was wearing a high vis jacket had two flashing white lights to the front, white cycling shoes (and my peely wally white Scottish legs on show :D )

None of that however was going to prevent the two motorists from almost wiping me out.

That works two ways though.

Never said it didn't and you will always get idiot drivers, like the ones with no lights on in dark cars this morning.
Good for you in trying to make yourself as visible as possible, (y)

NOBODY looks good in cycling Lycra!

Never said it didn't and you will always get idiot drivers, like the ones with no lights on in dark cars this morning.
Good for you in trying to make yourself as visible as possible, (y)

I try my hardest as at the end of the day i will always come off worst even if not my fault.
Gotta have your wits about you on yon push bike

Last edited by a moderator:
that both ignored the give way sign.
Unfortunately its becoming the way of the "world"
I do circa 250 miles a day, ( in a white van :D ) and if some twatt doesn't pull out on me at least once in a day, from a side turning, I think the world is ending..
Its not a safe place for 4 wheels a lot of the time, let alone 2, be that motorised or ( dare I say ) Humanised.

like the ones with no lights on in dark cars this morning.
Pouring of rain, just getting light, but foggy / reduced visibility due to the spray,
Black BMW obviously immune, from harm. as "he" had no lights on..
I have to say though it does make a change from the front and rear fog lights I often see, when visibility isn't reduced in the slightest...

Why is it that cyclists rarely if ever use these, and much prefer the duel [sic] or indeed single carriageways?
I can only assume that they prefer to dodge cars than pedestrians ..
I'd be interested to hear from a cyclist ....

It is well known that MK redways are designed mainly for low speed cycling eg families pottering about with kids in tow as well as cyclists not confident in traffic - they often have tight turns that could not easily be taken at speeds of 20mph (a typical commuter cyclist speed) and are often badly lit and have broken glass

It is well known that MK redways are designed mainly for low speed cycling eg families pottering about with kids in tow as well as cyclists not confident in traffic - they often have tight turns that could not easily be taken at speeds of 20mph (a typical commuter cyclist speed) and are often badly lit and have broken glass
Then "commuter" cyclists either need to be aware, or use the roads.

Then "commuter" cyclists either need to be aware, or use the roads.

That was exactly boliston's point, he was answering Cobra saying why cyclists rarely use the redways and prefer the road...

Why is it that cyclists rarely if ever use these, and much prefer the duel [sic] or indeed single carriageways?

It is well known that MK redways are designed mainly for low speed cycling
Are you "local"?
they often have tight turns
They run parallel to the Dual and Single carriage roads that are built on a "grid system"
Agreed they have some bends as do the roads they run parallel to.

But as I said previously, the cyclists think they are specifically for them,
the pedestrians think the same.

The cycle paths in Norwich are awful, usually involve crossing the road several times, especially at roundabouts, which is arguably more dangerous than being seen all the time.

On my old route to work, there was a nice wide cycle lane down one of the main roads, which I'd have loved to use. Sadly, the council didn't bother putting any yellow lines down it, so people just parked in it. So you had a choice of just staying on the road lane, or having to weave in and out of the cycle lane.

Only time I've been hit by a car, I was in a cycle lane, wearing high vis, with lights on, and he pulled out of a junction straight into me. And I had a close call the other week, signalling right, in the middle of the lane as I was about to turn right, the driver decided to overtake me as I started to turn right.

Unfortunately its becoming the way of the "world"
I do circa 250 miles a day, ( in a white van :D ) and if some twatt doesn't pull out on me at least once in a day, from a side turning, I think the world is ending..
Its not a safe place for 4 wheels a lot of the time, let alone 2, be that motorised or ( dare I say ) Humanised.

Pouring of rain, just getting light, but foggy / reduced visibility due to the spray,
Black BMW obviously immune, from harm. as "he" had no lights on..
I have to say though it does make a change from the front and rear fog lights I often see, when visibility isn't reduced in the slightest...

I was on the A2 yesterday in torrential rain, with the overhead gantries showing the 50MPH signs. At 200 metres I indicated to come off at the next exit, and was just merging with the slip road, when a dark grey Mondeo undertook me at arounfd 70MPH on the hard shoulder. It was a taxi without any lights on. I don't have a dashcam but may consider getting one now.

The cycle paths in Norwich are awful,
I work in that area a couple of times a week, and I agree its not exactly the best system.
But then again, its not unique.

I'm not sure if the MK system is used elsewhere or not, but its a separate system, separated from the roads by wide grass banks, or trees,
no crossing roads or dealing with roundabouts, underpasses are used for both.

signalling right, in the middle of the lane as I was about to turn right, the driver decided to overtake me as I started to turn right.
What is it with some people? I've had that while driving a car !

lots of cycle paths where we are but they are quite rightly shared spaces so especially during summer they can be quite busy with walkers, runners, the slow family train etc.
I understand serious cyclists can become frustrated but tough, it is a shared space so suck it up.

If you want to pound out the miles then yes use roads they are also shared spaces but the risk becomes much higher, especially if you are moving pretty damned quickly.
When cyclists on roads are travelling quick they are still very small silhouettes and as folk have said in very poor clothing (black) with ultra cool carbon fibre frames (that will be black again) and the now super cool team sky helmet on (lots of black).......yadda....yadda.... etc.....crash ..... BUMP

I am quite a keen cyclist, I have restrained myself from commenting too much on this thread as I find it incredibly frustrating in many ways and I really don't want to waste my energy.

I'll just say that the general attitude of a large proportion of the population towards cyclists in this country when compared to many others particularly in Europe is quite frankly shocking, and I think is reflective of the general intolerant attitude that many people have. Lumping any group of people together and then making generalisations about them is very easy to do, but also very unintelligent and can be dangerous.

All I'll say on the main point of this thread which was discussing cyclists in dark clothing, is if you struggle to see a cyclist on the road during normal daylight conditions simply because they are wearing dark clothing then you shouldn't be driving.

I am quite a keen cyclist, I have restrained myself from commenting too much on this thread as I find it incredibly frustrating in many ways and I really don't want to waste my energy.

I'll just say that the general attitude of a large proportion of the population towards cyclists in this country when compared to many others particularly in Europe is quite frankly shocking, and I think is reflective of the general intolerant attitude that many people have. Lumping any group of people together and then making generalisations about them is very easy to do, but also very unintelligent and can be dangerous.

All I'll say on the main point of this thread which was discussing cyclists in dark clothing, is if you struggle to see a cyclist on the road during normal daylight conditions simply because they are wearing dark clothing then you shouldn't be driving.

I agree with main point one as I have said before in a post way up the line the standard afforded to cyclists is awful.

but I disagree strongly with the bit about if you can't see you shouldn't be driving that's just unrealistic cack copied from cycling weekly.

moving on the roads quickly on a skinny black bike with very little in the way of illumination with cars and vans and all sorts whizzing about puts you at the bottom of the food chain, as a cyclist and a motorcyclist I see that every day. its not about seeing as you seem to focus its about sticking out, as a lycra clad fleshy bag you should be so obvious its blinding.

Reactions: rpn
I agree with main point one as I have said before in a post way up the line the standard afforded to cyclists is awful.

but I disagree strongly with the bit about if you can't see you shouldn't be driving that's just unrealistic cack copied from cycling weekly.

moving on the roads quickly on a skinny black bike with very little in the way of illumination with cars and vans and all sorts whizzing about puts you at the bottom of the food chain, as a cyclist and a motorcyclist I see that every day. its not about seeing as you seem to focus its about sticking out, as a lycra clad fleshy bag you should be so obvious its blinding.

Apart from all the studies that show that the colour of a cyclists clothing doesn't change passing distance.

I agree, if your eyesight or concentration is so bad that you can't see a cyclist wearing black in the *daylight*, you really shouldn't be driving.

What is it with some people? I've had that while driving a car !

I think there's just a lot of people who are either always in a rush, or seem to think that their journey is more important than everyone elses.

Why is a cyclist any different to a small child on the pavement that might run out into the road? They might well be in a dark coat and trousers when walking to school.

If you can't see an object in broad daylight, or you can't perceive hazards or you can't read a number plate from 20m away you shouldn't be driving.

Why should cyclists be forced to protect themselves from danger when that danger only exists because of other road users lack of concentration or consideration?

How do so many people navigate Tesco car park every day without being mamed? There are plenty of people walking about in dark clothing.

EDIT, posted too soon.

The answer is because when you are driving in a car park you know there could be people around that could be easily hurt if you don't pay attention. Those pedestrians have every right to be there just as cyclists do on the roads, just because you (not talking directly to you) don't like them doesn't mean you can now not concentrate or afford others the consideration that you would like to be shown.

Last edited:
I never said forced to use or had to use, my answer is to use the rule of

"do as much as i reasonably possible to protect yourself"

as has been said many times around the world, it is all well and good laying in a hospital bed saying to your wife and kids..... it will be fine love I caught it all on my helmet cam....

now do us a favour and bring over the wheel chair will ya.....................

I never said forced to use or had to use, my answer is to use the rule of

"do as much as i reasonably possible to protect yourself"

as has been said many times around the world, it is all well and good laying in a hospital bed saying to your wife and kids..... it will be fine love I caught it all on my helmet cam....

now do us a favour and bring over the wheel chair will ya.....................

Okay, but wearing a hi-vis vest is not the solution.

There are a couple of problems as I "see" it.
1) As the OP stated in bright sunlight, "dark" anything, be that pedestrians in the road or cyclists, especially on country lanes, where I tend to see them most, is the dappled light
through the trees, its almost a case of now you see them now you don't.

2) years ago, just the emergency services wore reflective florescent clothing, slowly but surely it almost became a fashion.
Its as though "We" have conditioned to see fluorescent clothing as a hazard.
(Probably not a bad thing)
I have to wear it at work, as I'm on foot, and working near some pretty large mobile plant.
( I have a proximity alarm too but that is largely beside the point)

I'd rather wear florescent than not..
What is the old saying? be seen, be safe.

So I'm not quite sure why ( some) cyclists are objecting to wearing something that is fluorescent & reflective.

Okay, but wearing a hi-vis vest is not the solution.

its a lot better than a black top on a dull overcast day and black shorts though isn't it?

I get your point craig I do and I am sure a lot of people get people have the rights to wear and behave within the law as they please but sopetimes you really do have to look like a fluro muppet just to stand a fighting chance,.

you really do have to look like a fluro muppet just to stand a fighting chance,.
Re my post above I totally resemble that remark :D

"We" have conditioned to see fluorescent clothing as a hazard.

So I'm not quite sure why ( some) cyclists are objecting to wearing something that is fluorescent & reflective.
It might be not wanting to be seen as a hazard?

There are a couple of problems as I "see" it.
1) As the OP stated in bright sunlight, "dark" anything, be that pedestrians in the road or cyclists, especially on country lanes, where I tend to see them most, is the dappled light
through the trees, its almost a case of now you see them now you don't.

2) years ago, just the emergency services wore reflective florescent clothing, slowly but surely it almost became a fashion.
Its as though "We" have conditioned to see fluorescent clothing as a hazard.
I have to wear it at work, as I'm on foot, and working near some pretty large mobile plant.
( I have a proximity alarm too but that is largely beside the point)

I'd rather wear florescent than not..
What is the old saying? be seen, be safe.

They've done several studies that have shown drivers don't give any more space to a cyclist in high vis compared to one in dark clothing, unless the high vis says POLICE on it.

Which is weird, because it means that regardless of the colours, drivers do see them, but only change their behaviour if they think they might get in trouble.

Back