Suicidal Cyclist

Reactions: Nod
And my point @ #161

the point at 153
Why should cyclists be forced to protect themselves from danger
Ok fair enough I do what I can at work, (#156 ) its called self preservation, taking responsibility for my own actions, and being aware of my surroundings and situation.
But if you don't agree with this. then of course you are at liberty to continue as you were (y)

More and more items are becoming available that say POLITE.

People slow down/pay attention thinking it is POLICE and by the time they're close enough to read otherwise you've had the desired objective

Mrs F has one for when she's on her horse.

Militant Cyclists just remind me so much of the American NRA

Freedom, Liberties, Rights = yes

common sense = nah

Militant Cyclists just remind me so much of the American NRA

Freedom, Liberties, Rights = yes

common sense = nah

Exactly the same could be said about 80% of motorists.

Not sure if that post is directed at me or not, but I simply go by the rule of 'treat others how you would like to be treated'. If a motorist annoys me I don't assume every motorist is an idiot and mouth off at them or kick their doors. And it would be nice if motorists who have a disagreement with a cyclist wouldn't then decide to spray the next one they see with windscreen washer or blast their horns.

But not everyone is as good a person as me, evidently.

nope not aimed at anyone to be fair.
I have loads of cyclist friends my wife and I regularly ride out in the summer evenings with Ravensthorpe CC which is great because I feel very safe in a nice organised group.

I also have a great friend over in Macclesfield who complains about his local folk being way to Militant to the point they will go out on realy busy times and busy roads and hunt for issues and problems.

They've done several studies that have shown drivers don't give any more space to a cyclist in high vis compared to one in dark clothing, unless the high vis says POLICE on it.

Which is weird, because it means that regardless of the colours, drivers do see them, but only change their behaviour if they think they might get in trouble.
I seem to recall a whole lot of animosity a while back, directed towards bikers and cyclists wearing yellow hi-viz vests/jackets with blue/white reflective checker patterns, and the text:
POLITE
NOTICE

PLEASE PASS WIDE​
It seems drivers were annoyed at instinctively giving riders cop distance, because by the time they realised they didn't have to, it was too late to pull back in and skim them...

Better to be seen as a hazard than not seen at all surely?

They've done several studies that have shown drivers don't give any more space to a cyclist in high vis compared to one in dark clothing, unless the high vis says POLICE on it.

Which is weird, because it means that regardless of the colours, drivers do see them, but only change their behaviour if they think they might get in trouble.

in which case preferable to be seen as an other road user rather than a hazard

Last edited:
To me it seems the suicidal behaviour from cyclists in Britain is when getting on their bikes in the first place looking from the hostility they obvious faces

Exactly the same could be said about 80% of motorists.
No argument here, except that figure maybe a little on the high side.

The road can be a hostile environment, ( at times) whether in a car on a bike or horse, everyone can be at risk.
I just think its sensible to negate the risks as much as possible.
Wherever or not that means I put my lights on in daylight and reduced visibility, or wearing something reflective when I rode a bike ( but that's a distant memory now :D )

There is a law ( I think ) that also tells me I must put lights on in fog heavy rain etc.
But I doubt there is a law that requires reflective / florescent wear for cyclists or pedestrians?

No argument here, except that figure maybe a little on the high side.

The road can be a hostile environment, ( at times) whether in a car on a bike or horse, everyone can be at risk.
I just think its sensible to negate the risks as much as possible.
Wherever or not that means I put my lights on in daylight and reduced visibility, or wearing something reflective when I rode a bike ( but that's a distant memory now :D )

There is a law ( I think ) that also tells me I must put lights on in fog heavy rain etc.
But I doubt there is a law that requires reflective / florescent wear for cyclists or pedestrians?

There's a law for lights and reflectors on bikes.

There's no law about colour of clothing, just as there is no law about the colour of your car.

There's no law about colour of clothing, just as there is no law about the colour of your car.
That wasn't quite what I was getting at but no matter ...

Does that mean they must ( both) be fitted to all bikes?
Because the "road trials" I've seen, ( we get a few around here, as most places do I assume)
Certainly don't have lights fitted and TBH if they have reflectors fitted they are very much ineffective.

That wasn't quite what I was getting at but no matter ...

Does that mean they must ( both) be fitted to all bikes?
Because the "road trials" I've seen, ( we get a few around here, as most places do I assume)
Certainly don't have lights fitted and TBH if they have reflectors fitted they are very much ineffective.

Yep, it's law to have both in the dark.

Also law to have 4 pedal reflectors, which makes all clipless pedals are illegal to use at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
But not fitted during the day ?
( I've vo idea just wondering)

I think technically not, as the rules are only for when riding after dark. So if someone purely cycled in daylight hours, then they wouldn't need to have them

Not for cyclists?

but it is taught to be acceptable and preferred for motorcyclists

yep although I do have the odd leather jacket (red or green) not black I pretty much ride most of the time with my Hein Gerricke full Fluoro jacket.

Bicycles must also be fitted with a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors. Don't see many of the clipons having reflectors

There are recommendations though

Bicycles should be fitted with front and rear lights to make cyclists more visible in the dark.
According to the THINK! Cycling Campaign, the number of cyclists seriously injured has increased in recent years, faster than the increase in cyclists on the roads. If you are planning to start cycling on the road, it is important to make sure you have a full understanding of the Highway Code and know how to keep yourself safe. Below we have outlined some of the key rules from the Highway Code for cyclists to follow.
Section 59
Section 59 of the Highway Code explains the appropriate clothing cyclists should wear in order to make it easier for other road users to spot them and help to keep them protected in the case of a collision.

Cyclist clothing:
  • Helmet – Your cycle helmet should conform to the current regulations, be the correct size for your head and be securely fastened.
  • Appropriate fitted clothing – Your clothing should be tight fitted to prevent it getting tangled in the chain or wheel of your bicycle.
  • Light clothing – Light and fluorescent clothing will help you to stand out in daylight and poor light.
  • Reflective accessories – Strips on the helmet, as well as armbands and ankle bands will help you be seen in the dark.

Anyhow - generally it's not an issue unless you get the t*** on either side, either cyclist of motorist or both together gets interesting, usually ends with someone shouting "CAMERAAAAA" and pointing at their dashcam/go pro.

But you will not look as cool as these guys pulling in to the pub car park !

Attachments

• team sky.jpg
    team sky.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 20
But not fitted during the day ?
( I've vo idea just wondering)

Just between the hours of sunset and sunrise.

There is a good summary of the regulations on UK Cycling website (here).

But in summary, for between sunset and sunrise you need:

A forward facing white light
A rear facing red light
(Since 2005 these can be flashing lights)
A rear red reflector
Four pedal reflectors (two to front, two to rear)

Just between the hours of sunset and sunrise.
From the highway code
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

But there doesn't seem to be the same requirement for cyclists, seems a bit odd, or perhaps they don't expect cyclists to ride in adverse conditions ..

From the highway code
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

But there doesn't seem to be the same requirement for cyclists, seems a bit odd, or perhaps they don't expect cyclists to ride in adverse conditions ..
Bike light technology has come a long way, but not so far as to match the performance of a cars headlight. It would be impractical to strap one of those and the required battery onto your chopper.

From the highway code

The article I linked to earlier quotes the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, rather than the highway code. It also says the following about adverse road conditions:

Unlike other vehicles, pedal cycles are not legally required to light up when conditions of seriously reduced visibility occur in daytime - but you're living dangerously if you don't. That's because this clause applies only to lights that are required to be fitted at all times as with a car; lights are not required to be fitted to a pedal cycle between sunrise and sunset. So even if the cycle has lights fitted and is ridden into a bank of fog, for example, they do not have to be switched on. Yes, the law is strange.

Another problem for cyclists is that very few lights sold actually conform to with the relevant standard (BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard) so it is practically impossible to be legal at night on a bike.

"And one with a fairy light on to show us the way..." :p

Don’t know about the rest of the country but up here In cash strapped North wales ,100% of our concentration is trying not to drive on the left of the road but trying to drive on what’s left of the road . When your doing your best to avoid ever increasing in size potholes ,cyclists are the last thing on you4 mind .

I'd far rather hit a pothole than a cyclist.

Don’t know about the rest of the country but up here In cash strapped North wales ,100% of our concentration is trying not to drive on the left of the road but trying to drive on what’s left of the road . When your doing your best to avoid ever increasing in size potholes ,cyclists are the last thing on you4 mind .

Or as tonight, doging the cyclists and runners who are way out in the road avoiding the potholes and mudfests from the verges themselves...

So, to summarise this thread:

Deaf elderly pedestrian can't hear the cycle bell - cyclist's fault
Drivers can't see cyclists in broad daylight - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on shared path, so pedestrians not happy - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on road, so car drivers not happy - cyclist's fault
Poverty and world hunger - cyclist's fault

Have I forgotten anything? Let's pile it on :exit:

To summarize from a drivers point of view:

I drive with the lights on much of the time, both my private car and works van
Prefer people to see me rather then pull out and cause an accident,

I wear high viz gear most of the day, working on a busy road again it's a self preservation thing
rather be seen then hit by a car or fast moving cyclist

Last edited:
So, to summarise this thread:

Deaf elderly pedestrian can't hear the cycle bell - cyclist's fault
Drivers can't see cyclists in broad daylight - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on shared path, so pedestrians not happy - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on road, so car drivers not happy - cyclist's fault
Poverty and world hunger - cyclist's fault

Have I forgotten anything? Let's pile it on :exit:

Poor you.

Weirdly enough most of the middle age wannabees on their carbon jock rockets near me seem to have spent all their money on shiny bits and never seem to bother buying a bell. Seems they ruin the lines of their fine machines. Had one a while ago literally creap up on me and the wife put walking and give a polite excuse me can I come pass while trying very hard to balance on his cleats at zero miles an hour.

Yup, there are dicks out there on cycles and they think they're in the right !

Are you suggesting I give up walking on footpaths because a c*** of a cyclist won’t slow down for pedestrians ..trouble is up here they have turned footpaths into shared cycle paths and they think we as walkers hav3 no right on them ,pure arrogant t***s

Cyclist's think they are special now they have dedicated cycle lanes , Also traffic light and zebra crossing exempt , They assume they have priority on our vehicle roads , Most are confruntational idiots with little regard for anyone else or their own lives .

What like sprouting a eye out of my a******e ,you really are talking like a t*** ....... would you though if someone was blocking the path... slow down to go round them ....or shout abuse as you pass ...... or just ride into them ....in my experience the middle one is the route taken with the cowards then shooting off at a great rate of knots ... I really hate the c***s

Most of the cyclists i come across are complete muppets which give a bad name to other cyclists. They go through red lights, mount pavements, weave in and out of traffic with no care what so ever. They speed down between buses and kerbs, jesture at other road users and put pedestrians at risk of being knocked over!

I do believe that all cyclists should have road insurance, have registration plates on their bikes and be made to adhere to the highway code!

Someone said about putting the windscreen washer on while passing a cyclist. Damn good idea that! Lol

Just checking TP, as someone who chooses to cycle i'm a dick, c***, arrogant t***, confruntational (sic) idiot, complete muppet and deserve to get squirted by windscreen wipers.

Some of you old men need to calm down before you have a heart attack. Try riding a bicycle, it's good for your heart and state of mind.

Weirdly enough most of the middle age wannabees on their carbon jock rockets near me seem to have spent all their money on shiny bits and never seem to bother buying a bell. Seems they ruin the lines of their fine machines. Had one a while ago literally creap up on me and the wife put walking and give a polite excuse me can I come pass while trying very hard to balance on his cleats at zero miles an hour.

Interestingly when i bought my bike through the cycle to work scheme (delivered direct by leisure lakes bikes) it didn't come with a bell which I am sure is against the law. Anyway In order to have the lights on my bike renders there no space for a bell so I don't have one. On the rare occasions I use a cycle path and have to pass people I always slow down and give a friendly "cyclist coming through" followed by a "thank you". It seems to work without issue........so far anyway.

Back