Summer Falls and High Force

Name
Tracey
Edit My Images
Yes
Cracking job there Tracey. Careful that you don't turn the running water completely to milk, or it begins to look unnatural. IMO the mono shot is just right. Well done. :clap:

Thanks Davie I appreciate your feedback, i must admit I liked the mono one and can see what you mean about turning the water to milk. I seemed to struggle mostly with getting the right exposure, trying for slow shutter and then getting the right aperture. I guess the answer is I'll have to go back and try again sometime soon ;)

Two things about exposure - experiment with shutter speeds as mentioned, to do with how blurred the water looks - keep in mind that the corresponding aperture will affect depth of field.

But there's another consideration that comes first really and that's to do with overall exposure no matter how you juggle individual parameters within it - it's very marked in your final two posted images that areas of the falls (the lightest parts of the pictures) are bleached out. The same applies to the sky in image one, but that's less significant within the image space. The correction is that you needed less overall exposure than you gave. But this opens a can of worms to do with metering, exposure compensation, and whether to use RAW file recording (more tweakable afterwards) or jpg ...

I could talk about composition as well but in a single post it might be information overload. Let's just say that in image 2 the fall is very crowded, and the bald mannikin is an awkward intrusion.

Back