Sun on Blencathra

Lovely reflections, colours.

The fly in the ointment for me with both images is that the grass etc in the foreground intrudes into the edges of the frame instead of being either entirely IN the frame or leading cleanly out of it. At the same time if they are cloned out then then it makes a mess of composition because there's too much space at the bottom of the frame, requiring cropping into the usual pano for this type of scene. I've never been there, so don't know what other compositional options were available, but the second image with those 3 rocks on the LHS looks like it should have offered some interesting possibilities.

Your portrait version of this scene solves this problem by better encompassing the grass as an intentional compositional element, rather than an unfortunate intrusion.

Last edited:
Two nice shots.

I prefer the first as the grass has a nice sweep that leads the eye to the lone tree and the mountain. I might snip a bit off the bottom to lose the grass in the centre and left edge. I like the shot a great deal. I find the foreground a bit muddled in the second. Good colour in both.

They are nice.
On the first the bit of grass cutting into the reflection may be one of the more solid bits it does vary a lot round that part of the shore. I nearly ended up with a wet foot this morning.

Back