Critique Sundown: Edinburgh Skyline from Calton Hill

Great view and nice shots........:)

Reactions: ST4
The 2nd shot is the better of the two, can't beat a bit of blue hour work.

I'm also going to Edinburgh (again, been there 7 or 8 times now) with work later in the year & a weeks holiday in August so I must get up Calton Hill for once.

For Calton Hill, take your 70-200f2.8. I'm going back as I sussed a better angle and place to stand, but the light had faded too much to get it just so. Bit more cloud cover needed. Hopefully sorted by the end of next month.
Yes, I will do. Although I fly normally, I might drive to Edinburgh so I can take the kit and do the few locations I need to tick off on my list up there.

No2 is very good (y)

Lovely shots. Reminds me of the drawings I used to do in primary school of silhouetted cities using black paint and sponges :D

Lovely captures mate, second one is by far the stronger image, great tones.
Love the composition. Next time I am in Scotland I'll spend longer than 2 hours in Edinburgh.

Lovely captures mate, second one is by far the stronger image, great tones.
Love the composition. Next time I am in Scotland I'll spend longer than 2 hours in Edinburgh.

There is a jarring compositional flaw, which the light hides. The castle and balmoral clock tower are not separated. There is a better angle further up Calton Hill and too the left. 85mm works perfect and it separates the castle from clock tower. I did take the picture but the sky was way too dark relative to the building lights so canned it. I used a cheap old 70-210f4 for this, sharp as anything but odd flares. More modern lens coatings are better, so i will return with an 85mm F1.8g (sharper than any lens I have, Ziess included) and get the right spot earlier in the Blue hour.

Back