Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
40D - 340mm - f6.3 - 1/640 - ISO 200

40D - 400mm - f5.6 - 1/1000 - ISO 200

40D - 400mm - f5.6 - 1/800 - ISO 200

Last edited:
those are good Phil ....... I always find exposure in eye area and the (white) feather detail difficult to capture .......... you have really done well, always pretty birds and good to see in the wild

Would love to capture a gold finch... These are excellent in my opinion bird is very well separated from the background.

And exposure spot on :)

I like the way he's struck a pose in the first photo. Good sharness, colour and exposure. The tree cabbage adds interest to the branch too.

Do you use flash?

Number 1 for me Phil, the branch and BG add a lot to the shot, well spotted and taken (y)

those are good Phil ....... I always find exposure in eye area and the (white) feather detail difficult to capture .......... you have really done well, always pretty birds and good to see in the wild

Cheers Bill

I know what you mean. It's hard to find the balance between the white and the black of a goldfinch especially in sunny conditions. I normally try to hold onto the whites and do a bit of pp around the dark areas on the face if needed.

Great Tits are the birds I always seem to have contrast difficulties with.

Would love to capture a gold finch... These are excellent in my opinion bird is very well separated from the background.

And exposure spot on :)

Thanks Bryn

I like the way he's struck a pose in the first photo. Good sharness, colour and exposure. The tree cabbage adds interest to the branch too.

Do you use flash?

Thanks Derek

'Tree Cabbage' I like that expression.

I don't use flash although I'm not dead against the use of it if the birds are OK with it.

Last edited:
Feather texture and colours caught well :)

Excellent set Phil, #2 being my favourite with the slight turn of head.

Is the date right in your camera, as the exif is showing on Flickr as photos taken in May 2012 ?????

#3 is my personal favourite, closely followed by #1 and then #2. Gorgeous birds, we've started to attract a group of 5 to our garden this week which nearly made me do a little wee when i saw them on the feeders. :D

Keep up the good work Phil.

Excellent set Phil, #2 being my favourite with the slight turn of head.

Is the date right in your camera, as the exif is showing on Flickr as photos taken in May 2012 ?????

That would be right Simon. I've been doing some house keeping on my PC. It's rare I use my 40D these days.

#3 is my personal favourite, closely followed by #1 and then #2. Gorgeous birds, we've started to attract a group of 5 to our garden this week which nearly made me do a little wee when i saw them on the feeders. :D

Keep up the good work Phil.

Cheers David. Good to hear you've attracted them to your garden. I've had more this year after a couple of lean years.

Some nice ones there matie, sweet as a nut
Great feather texture and detail

Excellent shots Phil

Stan

Some of the best I have seen for a while Phil,a joy to view....

Thanks folks

Back