Sunrise Above Tewet Tarn

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
1am start for a drive down to the Lake District then an hour or so hike to reach this spot for sunrise. Perched on the side of a hill above Tewet Tarn.

Even with the application of a couple of grads the dynamic range was too great to manage with grads alone so this is a 3 shot HDR merged in Lightroom.

As always, any comments/crit are gratefully received :)

Lake District Sunsrise by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

No comments, ridiculous. This is a nice (if not overly dramatic) image that was well laid out and well handled in post processing.

The only advice I can give is re the composition, and standing where you were there is not a lot you can do about it. But one of the things that plays a part in an image is the vanishing point, and the wall from bottom right leads diagonally left towards Tewet Tarn, but that is not really the vanishing point so it argues with the other one. Which is the Sun, due to the balance of the shapes in the frame that is the vanishing point for me, so the wall disects the image a bit. Not a criticism, just trying to add something constructive. Whilst I'm at it (and don't worry I hate my own compositions when I am back home and it's too late after messing them up in the field!) is if you had of got lower you could have separated the branches of the tree from the flanks of Blencathra...

Hi Danny
Always had a bit of a Sunrise / Sunset fetish, which has actually taught me a lot about them! I think i'm my own worst critic and i work myself up so much i don't bloody post anything as i'm looking for perfection Ha! Fat chance.
So my 2d is....
I quite like the composition, although we all strive to get stuff to conform to the rules, we can all pick out stunning shots that don't. The tree is nice and i love the shape of it and the angle its coming from the hillside. I see what @Craig_85 says about the tree branches colliding with the range behind it, i guess you could always try some post pruning;)
I like the sunburst and i think id have screwed down the aperture a bit more to get those rays a bit more prominent and i like the flaring clouds just that bit of movement in the clouds without sending them streaking wildly.
I've had a good old skeg around the frame and cant see any flare so well done on controlling that considering your shooting practically into the sun(y)
Personally i quite like it....(y)

No comments, ridiculous. This is a nice (if not overly dramatic) image that was well laid out and well handled in post processing.

The only advice I can give is re the composition, and standing where you were there is not a lot you can do about it. But one of the things that plays a part in an image is the vanishing point, and the wall from bottom right leads diagonally left towards Tewet Tarn, but that is not really the vanishing point so it argues with the other one. Which is the Sun, due to the balance of the shapes in the frame that is the vanishing point for me, so the wall disects the image a bit. Not a criticism, just trying to add something constructive. Whilst I'm at it (and don't worry I hate my own compositions when I am back home and it's too late after messing them up in the field!) is if you had of got lower you could have separated the branches of the tree from the flanks of Blencathra...

Cheers Craig - I'd pretty much given up on anyone offering any comments or crit on this one......thought it must have been a bit of a lemon! :)

I can completely see where you're coming from re the vanishing point. If only that wall came from the bottom left and then into the frame instead of the bottom right. As it is, the wall sort of leads you out of the frame instead of into it, which is a bit unfortunate.

Thanks again for the comments Craig! (y)

Hi Danny
Always had a bit of a Sunrise / Sunset fetish, which has actually taught me a lot about them! I think i'm my own worst critic and i work myself up so much i don't bloody post anything as i'm looking for perfection Ha! Fat chance.
So my 2d is....
I quite like the composition, although we all strive to get stuff to conform to the rules, we can all pick out stunning shots that don't. The tree is nice and i love the shape of it and the angle its coming from the hillside. I see what @Craig_85 says about the tree branches colliding with the range behind it, i guess you could always try some post pruning;)
I like the sunburst and i think id have screwed down the aperture a bit more to get those rays a bit more prominent and i like the flaring clouds just that bit of movement in the clouds without sending them streaking wildly.
I've had a good old skeg around the frame and cant see any flare so well done on controlling that considering your shooting practically into the sun(y)
Personally i quite like it....(y)

Thanks Steve. You're right, the composition is a bit skewed. I think it was a case of trying to fit too much into the frame (sun rays, Blencathra and the light on the tree/hillside) rather than choosing my composition more carefully.

I've cloned out those pesky branches that you and Craig alluded to and you wouldn't believe what a difference it makes separating them from the background! Kinda improves the overall composition.

Thanks again Steve! :)

I like the light and the shadow in these Danny. Trying to decide which i like best... the last shot (morning light 2) i love the effect of the light as its streaming in through the mist from the top right although it seems to be a little hot in that top right. I love the shadows thrown by the trees that's lovely.
The Light hitting the trees in morning light, is lovely to.... Nice shots(y)

I like the light and the shadow in these Danny. Trying to decide which i like best... the last shot (morning light 2) i love the effect of the light as its streaming in through the mist from the top right although it seems to be a little hot in that top right. I love the shadows thrown by the trees that's lovely.
The Light hitting the trees in morning light, is lovely to.... Nice shots(y)

Cheers Steve - I think these are my favorites from the whole day. Agree with it being a bit hot in the corner too but reducing the highlights further was making it look a bit weird so I didn't push it any further.

Though i was having a senior moment when i saw @nickjohnwatson post;)

Haha yeah that's what happens when you're standing a few feet apart pointing your lens in the same direction! :) I think Mr Watson has nailed the scene a bit better than me though.

Really love the first one, only crit I'd have as mentioned earlier is to get a touch lower and separate the branches from the fell behind, but that would be being really picky in an otherwise lovely shot and very well processed.

I prefer the 3rd one of the other two and would also probably lose the sky also as it's a little distracting, otherwise great work (y)

Back