Sunrise at Southwold Pier

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
No
I was in the area on Monday and Tuesday, so I made the trip down to Southwold Pier for sunrise on the Tuesday. Wasn't the best of mornings, but I was pleased with what I got from there when you consider it is a long, long, long way from home...

Thanks to @NeilA1975 for a bit of advice on the location.

A Minute of Time
by Stu Meech, on Flickr

STU_1546-Edit.jpg

(I have removed as much distortion as I could on this, as it was shot at 16mm...)

I prefer the second shot as the movement in the water draws the eye into the composition, both very nice shots though.

Like 'em both Stu. I know what you mean with the 16mm distortion, very difficult to correct, if at all possible. With the Nikkor 16-35. Actually thinking of getting rid of mine altogether and going for a Zeiss.

I prefer the second shot as the movement in the water draws the eye into the composition, both very nice shots though.
Thanks Steve. I'll probably add no 2 in the near future to Flickr as I like it too :)

Like 'em both Stu. I know what you mean with the 16mm distortion, very difficult to correct, if at all possible. With the Nikkor 16-35. Actually thinking of getting rid of mine altogether and going for a Zeiss.
Cheers Neil! I know what you mean, I usually avoid the 16mm end of the 16-35. Can't see what else I'd replace it with though. I am thinking of a Samyang 14mm to complement it though.

My preference is for number two, somehow I like the movement of the water more than the cloudy effect of number one.

No1 for me Stu, the distortion is a real put off for me in No2, mind you id be more than pleased to capture this, if only i could drag my sorry backside out of bed early enough

I really like the first one.

Is Southwold pier where Tim Hunkin's automatons are on show?
Thanks Steve. Not too sure on that one as I couldn't/didn't go on the pier.

No1 for me Stu, the distortion is a real put off for me in No2, mind you id be more than pleased to capture this, if only i could drag my sorry backside out of bed early enough
Yeah I know what you mean Gary, can't be helped at 16mm though. Try some landscaping in the winter, much more sociable start time. Cold though!

I take it you used an ND filter for that first shot ? can you give me some info ? I would like to try my hand at something like this but not sure what filters to buy

Hey Danny. Of course.

I used a Lee Little Stopper (6 stop ND) with a Lee 0.6 Hard Grad to check back the sky. This has been exposed as far to the right of the histogram as I dare, to get the white sea, then I edited in Lightroom to remove the blue cast and the usual mods, and in Photoshop just to correct the verticals slightly as the far left pier posts were leaning out slightly due to the wide lens I used.

Hope this helps.

Number two for me, despite the distortion which really doesn't bother me much. Prefer the composition and exposure time.

Keeping the camera level on both axis helps with distorting verticals but doesn't elimate wide angle paralax issues which you see in 2. 1 is better anyway and a strong image,
I thought parallax only entered the equation with stitched shots?

2 nice shots but I prefer no1.

Cheers Neil.

Keeping the camera level on both axis helps with distorting verticals but doesn't elimate wide angle paralax issues which you see in 2. 1 is better anyway and a strong image,

Yeah I know, couldn't really be helped given the composition, but I can live with a little bit of distortion at the edge of frame.

One of my favourite spots :) Great work. I love both but the second captures the sea motion perfectly. Credit for getting up that early!

Thanks! I don't seem to be having any issues getting up really early of late!

Number two for me, despite the distortion which really doesn't bother me much. Prefer the composition and exposure time.

Thanks mate.

I thought parallax only entered the equation with stitched shots?

If the film or sensor plane of a camera is vertical (and you can set this with a level) the vertical elements of an image will not converge.

Steve.

Reactions: ST4
I also like both of the pictures and both are worthy to hang on anyones wall. The first for the little mystery that the long exposure brings
and the second for the beautiful lead in, the reseeding water pulls you almost physically in to the picture.

I also like both of the pictures and both are worthy to hang on anyones wall. The first for the little mystery that the long exposure brings
and the second for the beautiful lead in, the reseeding water pulls you almost physically in to the picture.
Cheers! And thanks for the detailed feedback, all good.

If the film or sensor plane of a camera is vertical (and you can set this with a level) the vertical elements of an image will not converge.

Steve.
but convergance and parallax aren't the same thing, are they?

Parallax at that sort of distance is irrelevant.

Steve.
but going back to my original question, I thought parallax only entered the equation when you moved the camera in order a stitch a pano? If parallax and convergance are different things I'm a bit unsure why you quoted my question about parallax in order to mention convergance.

Compositionally I really like the first one Stu.
But the sky in the second is a corker!

Back