Critique Sunrise at that mountain in Glencoe

Lovely work, the only thing wrong with them is I wasn't there. I will have to tag along to a workshop one day.

As for a fave of the 2, it's not easy to pick but I think the 2nd image has more dramatic light but the 1st has a better reflection due to the light falling that way on The Buachaille.

I think I'd plumb for 2.

The big rock is looking a little rusty! Autumn grass is just amazing out that way.

Frustrating sunrise location IM(limited)E of it.

I'd go with #2 judging by what I see on my uncalibrated screen at work. I prefer the illumination on the moor and the mountain glowers but still retains some detail in the shadow.

The big rock is looking a little rusty! Autumn grass is just amazing out that way.

Frustrating sunrise location IM(limited)E of it.

I'd go with #2 judging by what I see on my uncalibrated screen at work. I prefer the illumination on the moor and the mountain glowers but still retains some detail in the shadow.

I find it great for sunrise. Sun comes up behind you pretty much all year lighting it up. Only thing that’s an issue is any low level cloud on Rannoch Moor. This time of year it’s great. Soon it’ll be that awful brown depressing colour until summer, which can’t come soon enough imho, is back.

The issues here was I wanted to do some long exposure in the river itself(smooth out some ripples) but the wind was blowing ever so slightly so I’ve got some blurred grasses (a thing I utterly hate) so any ones from the main river are binned. This pool was flat enough but even still I bumped the ISO so I wouldn’t get the grasses moving. Still for teaching someone the basics that was ideal...

Last edited:
Brilliant Steve, the wider crop suits the composition very well. Must have been a good feeling for you knowing the workshopper was probably getting their best ever shots.

My preference is the first, you can't beat that red light against the textured blue sky.

Last edited:
Back