Sunrise in East Yorkshire.

Maybe my wobbly eyes, but I think the horizon is down a little at the RHS.

Quite a striking shot, Martin. Rather unusal to see such a dark sky above a sunrise, but does provide a nice contrast.

I would have been interested to see how that scene unfolded as the sun rose (and hoping for a glint of light along the sheafs) ....................... (y).

Maybe my wobbly eyes, but I think the horizon is down a little at the RHS.

Quite a striking shot, Martin. Rather unusal to see such a dark sky above a sunrise, but does provide a nice contrast.

I would have been interested to see how that scene unfolded as the sun rose (and hoping for a glint of light along the sheafs) ....................... (y).

I know what you mean about the horizon as when editing it I kept looking and using the grids to check it and one of those odd ones where looks straight with the grid but not without lol.

I decided to darken the sky as heavy cloud came in. This was a rather quick sunrise and was gone in a few minutes. I was hoping the clouds would explode in colour but sadly it just went very dull.

Thanks for your comments :)

Stunning what equipment was used?
Thank you Chris,

I used a Canon 7D with a 18mm 200mm Tamron lens. It was taken with 3 exposures one at -2, one at +2 and normal exposure. To finish the photo I used the HDR tool I got with Canon's Digital Photo Professional that I use to view my RAW files, and then a little editing to the sky in Photoshop CC.

I see the image fine.

For me, the sky is too dark, and the horizon too central.
I love the field of Barley though.

No disrespect intended to you or your art, but its a typical example of why HDR just doesnt work. The sky is black, the foreground is well lit, where did that light come from?
Regardless of processing techniques, a landscape has to be realistic, and the sky is never darker than the land, as the sky is where the light emanates from.

It's an interesting shot and don't take my following comments to mean I don't find I appealing! But the sky is too dark. I'm viewing this on my iPhone,not a monitor, and to me a lot (the upper half) of the sky appears as a large generally dark area with limited variation in colour or texture. I'm not sure this is specifically a result of the use of HDR, you can use grads and use too strong a filter ending up with too a dark sky.

I'd be interested to hear if you think this accurately represents what you saw and experienced, or if there was more texture in the sky that you have lost.

Perhaps if you lightened the sky and had some variation to bring out it would be a stronger image.

Or just use a letterbox crop and lose some of the sky.

Back