Sunrise in Glencoe

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Found an old memory card last week and found some images from the late Autumn of 2015 going into the start of winter - some of them I processed and some I overlooked. Tastes change and evolve in time and I decided to download them off the card again and work them without looking at the renditions I created at the time (looking at them afterwards the first lot seem a bit garish and over processed). For my shots of the Buachaille I prefer to have the mountain centered in the middle - at the time I wasn't as fussed on this little detail but it's something that irks me now about pictures from here if the mountain top isn't central in the frame. In an ideal world the reflection would be better - clearer. I dare say a little stopper or something would have helped with that but then again it is a river and none of the shots have my ultimate niggle (blurred grasses and they without fail come with longer exposures on all but the very stillest of days)

It was an especially nice morning with a hint of red colour left in the moorland and the lightest of snow toppings on the mountain. I recall being sat on a rock with the tripod in front loosing off frames as the light changed. It was great fun reliving that morning.

_DSC6491 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC6494 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC6504 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The first one… HS style! (y)

Lovely set of images Sir, liking them all very much with #1 being the most pleasing to my eye.(y)

George.

Its always a pleasure to see your takes on this and many other mountain ranges or wherever but on this occasion I felt it was a tad dark in places so as you have a big YES on your page to edit thats exactly what I done, I`ll remove it if you want.
I basically lightened the foreground, left the middle and played about with the top bit.
Oh and my take was from the 1st shot :)
Steves photo.jpg

Last edited:
I can see why you'd do this @Graham and my original take had a lighter FG - it's just too extreme an edit. Looking at mine since posting I know I could lift it out more, bags more in the RAW before noise even enters the equation but I wouldn't take it as far as that. Think about what the world looks like at this time of day - the only part of the image getting any light was that little bit at the top - the rest was quite dark. Whilst a rendition is that, your rendering of a scene and is open to artistic interpretation, it should remain faithful to the scene - thats a little too washed out even for me who doesn't dial in a lot of contrast.

I can see why you'd do this @Graham and my original take had a lighter FG - it's just too extreme an edit. Looking at mine since posting I know I could lift it out more, bags more in the RAW before noise even enters the equation but I wouldn't take it as far as that. Think about what the world looks like at this time of day - the only part of the image getting any light was that little bit at the top - the rest was quite dark. Whilst a rendition is that, your rendering of a scene and is open to artistic interpretation, it should remain faithful to the scene - thats a little too washed out even for me who doesn't dial in a lot of contrast.
Taken on board, Thanks Steve

Split between #1 and #2 for me.... #1 edging it because the peak gets placement instead of lost in the lighter cloud (which I like)

Back