Sunrise over a misty Berchtesgaden, Bavaria

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Back at the end of October I managed a 4 day landscape photography trip with one of my friends. I now live in Munich so it was great the explore some of the local area. Towards the end of the trip we spent two days in Berchtesgaden, little did we know that while we were there the Covid rates shot up to be the highest in Germany at the time, but thankfully landscape photography meant that we didn't come into contact with many people!

While researching locations I was struggling to find much inspiration or knowledge about where to go for a good autumnal view of the Watzmann, however some friends in Munich suggested that we headed up to the Grünstein as they had brilliant view from there the previous autumn. It was a short, but steep walk, but it was certainly worth the effort. We got there faster than expected so did some pre dawn (even pre-blue hour photography) which was fairly cold as it was very sub zero! There is a blog post here with location info: Bavaria Landscape Photography – Berchtesgaden

The main event was the sunrise over the Watzmann in the other direction, but as is often the case, it pays to turn around. We were treated to beautiful light catching another mountain, with mist hiding Berchtesgaden and adding plenty of drama.

I would love any c&c on how this could have been further improved.

First light over Berchtesgarden, Bavaria by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

thank you in advance

Al

Awesome image Alastair - I`m not sure how or if you would be able to improve on an image like that ..The light hitting the top of the snowy mountain peak with the glow coming from the clouds is just fantastic :clap:

Coho-Blue

Nice choice but if it were my wall it would be that Watzmann shot - it would look superb printed big
That’s already been printed. Just waiting to get back to Germany to see it :)

edit: although probably not the one you are talking about, maybe I’ll get that done as well. Lots of walls to fill!

Last edited:
That’s gorgeous. Brings back memories of a trip to the Bavarian Alps waaay back when I was in my teens. Absolutely stunning part of the world.

Back