Sunset at Borve beach, Isle of Harris

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a bit quiet of late so here's one from my long drive and ferry to the Isle of Harris. This was sunset at the beautiful Borve beach looking towards Taransay.
Not the most productive of trips with the camera but such a stunning place to be and well worth the journey up there. Can't wait to get back next year.

Canon 5Ds, Canon 16-35mm F4L, F11, 16.0mm at 1.6 secs. ISO 100 with KASE 0.9 soft grad.

Sunset towards Taransay by Paul Cronin 1, on Flickr

That's a top image mate
Cheers Stuart

Stunning colours Paul [emoji1360]
Cheers Ian

Great stuff, great sky and foreground patterns. (y)
Thanks Jason

I love the effect in the sand it is almost pleochroic, reflecting the different colours in the different textures.
Thanks Gareth, had to google pleochroic, but now etched in my memory :LOL:

Excellent work
Many thanks LLP

Lovely indeed
Cheers Steve

Really like this, colours are fantastic.
Thanks Paul

really like that Paul.
Cheers Danny

Thank you James

Appreciate all the comments.

Really like this!!! Love how the light is reflecting on the beach! I tried a sunset on a beach last night and really struggled with exposing the sand right compared to the sky! I really need a reverse grad filter! I guess this is the tide going out which helps as the wet sand will reflect... I had tide coming in... The patterns and detail you have caught really make a flat beach interesting! Great Capture!

Superb image.
Many thanks Doggel

Really like this!!! Love how the light is reflecting on the beach! I tried a sunset on a beach last night and really struggled with exposing the sand right compared to the sky! I really need a reverse grad filter! I guess this is the tide going out which helps as the wet sand will reflect... I had tide coming in... The patterns and detail you have caught really make a flat beach interesting! Great Capture!
Cheers, Its a case of working with what's available at times although helps with the tide receding and some lovely patterns there. If you don't have filters perhaps try taking two images, metering one for the beach and then one for the sky and then post process.

stunning shot
Cheers Holty

Many thanks Doggel

Cheers, Its a case of working with what's available at times although helps with the tide receding and some lovely patterns there. If you don't have filters perhaps try taking two images, metering one for the beach and then one for the sky and then post process.

Cheers Holty

Id rather spend £100 on a filter than go through the pain of even working out how to do that in PP! I really need to improve my attitude to PP... Spending ages at a computer just isnt my idea of fun! I bought Afinity Photo about 6 months ago and still not tried it! Learning to PP better is to be my goal for winter evenings later in the year!

I do have filters... Just not a reverse grad.

“Excellent” shot Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Id rather spend £100 on a filter than go through the pain of even working out how to do that in PP! I really need to improve my attitude to PP... Spending ages at a computer just isnt my idea of fun! I bought Afinity Photo about 6 months ago and still not tried it! Learning to PP better is to be my goal for winter evenings later in the year!

The shot is nice and I like the foreground but the light levels look off to me and the grad looks to me to be far too far down the frame. Look at the sand where the light is hitting as it is darker than that in the foreground.

It's a two minute job to recreate a ND grad in photoshop from two files. Take 3 or 4 and you can choose which grad to use later. If you want a demo just say. I might have to start doing this as I just got a 14-24mm so no filters on that.

The shot is nice and I like the foreground but the light levels look off to me and the grad looks to me to be far too far down the frame. Look at the sand where the light is hitting as it is darker than that in the foreground.

It's a two minute job to recreate a ND grad in photoshop from two files. Take 3 or 4 and you can choose which grad to use later. If you want a demo just say. I might have to start doing this as I just got a 14-24mm so no filters on that.

It wouldnt be a 2 min job for me to do anything like that in PP. Ive only ever used Canon’s DPP up to now with digital. Ive bought Afinity Photo for my mac but have not even tried it yet to be honest! It scares me a bit to be honest... layers and things... dont have a clue where to start! [emoji85]

Many thanks again. Splash the cash and get that filter :naughty:

“Excellent” shot Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Thanks again George

Thanks for your thoughts, will have another little look

That's a lovely shot Paul, perfectly sums up The Hebrides. Very fresh and vibrant.
I've had to postpone my annual tour of the islands this year which is disappointing so been working on some overlooked shots from last year.

Cheers Scott, I will say I didn't see a lot of vibrancy this trip but a couple of sunsets and a sunrise that keeps the attraction going. I saw your f/b posting and sorry to hear that Scott, hopefully you will get this year or next year.

Excellent Shot!

Many thanks Disha

Mate that's pretty special, the colours, the reflections, the lead in line. Would look stonking as a large print.

Judging by your number of posts you've already spent a lot of time in front of a computer ;) definitely worth learning PP especially as the nights draw in, it's actually really easy to blend skies if you need to

Just awesome Paul, I love the composition, light and colours really strong photo.

The only thing I would consider tweaking is to locally remove some of the cyan from the breaking waves. I know the water up there is almost like the cote d'azur with a lovely turquoise colour but the eye expects breaking waves to look whiter than that in my opinion. I wouldn't completely remove it, just a HSL adjustment layer bruised though and adjusted opacity till it suits.

Again, I appreciate all the comments.

Mate that's pretty special, the colours, the reflections, the lead in line. Would look stonking as a large print.

Thanks Mark, I will probably get this one printed. I have some 12x12 footspeed :)

Very nice indeed. Worth the journey
Cheers Scirocco

Fantastic image, you must be made up with that one. Well done, well worth the trip

Thanks Tongy, it was a great 20 minutes or so capturing couple of different compositions.

Just awesome Paul, I love the composition, light and colours really strong photo.

The only thing I would consider tweaking is to locally remove some of the cyan from the breaking waves. I know the water up there is almost like the cote d'azur with a lovely turquoise colour but the eye expects breaking waves to look whiter than that in my opinion. I wouldn't completely remove it, just a HSL adjustment layer bruised though and adjusted opacity till it suits.

Cheers Craig, will have another look, appreciate the comments though (y)

Back