Critique Sunset at St Marys Lighthouse.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
The sky looked nice on wednesday so I went for a trip down to St Marys for sunset. The tide had turned and was on its way out so I waded out knee deep half way along the causeway and set up for this. I waited a few minutes for the cloud to get above the Lighthouse and by then the sun was lighting it up really nicely.

Canon 6D + 17 - 40L
Lee 0.9 soft grad
Lee 0.6 soft grad
0.6 seconds / f16 / iso50 / 27mm

Hope you like.

Nick

Nothing bad from either.
It's a beautiful shot.

Nick

As you had noted OK to edit your images, just a simple crop for me delivers a more striking image. Loses some of the dead sky and retains the colours and the way the clouds converge on the lighthouse is great. Hope you don't mind the suggestion

View attachment 42498

"Excellent" shot Nick, great light, well composed, and a very pleasant reflection. Much prefer the original presentation.(y)

George.

i love the panorama cut.
After a while in 3x2 I am now getting intrigued by unusual edits.

BTW I live in Whitley Bay and never managed to get such a beautiful one. Well done!

ok with all the sky...if anything that dull sea could be snipped a bit...no reflection unfortunately

what difference do soft grads do??

Here's another from the same evening, a little while later :)

10 portrait shots stitched in Photoshop
2 seconds / f16 / iso50 / 17mm

great!!
now you are cooking bordering on the surreal one of my favourite method of photography
some dodging etc could bring out the lighthouse and seaweed
i will try this myself...i usually use landscape shots...around 4 max to do a paste up...
good work
cheers
geof

That last one is a corker Nick (not that the other two are too shabby either).

Love the detail in the water. So much interest in the shot. Well worth the wet feet.

I like the first, not sure on the crop off the sky, as its wonderful that sky. I would take some off the bottom off the image, but retain the sky and go with say 16:19 aspect losing what you will from the bottom.

Watch the distortion on the last image, it looks like its falling over.

Back