Critique Sunset at Wheal Coates

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I saw the 'sunset prediction' post earlier in the week and last night looked promising for one of my favorite haunts so I set out to see how it would materialise. This is the first time I have 'gone out' to purposely take a photo. Unfortunately the incoming weather front spoilt things and I didn't get the shot I had in mind.
When I put them thru LR this morning on my PC, they were not so silhouetted as they are now appearing to be when viewed on my mac at work. Guess I need another upgrade at home.

If they are worthy of a critique, please do.

Sunset at Wheal Coates by Chris Stephens, on Flickr

Looks like it could have been a good spot with the right conditions! unfortunately they dont really work for me, the first doesnt have an interesting enough sky and not enough foreground interest to work. the 2nd and 3rd are too close with not enough brightness and colour in the sky to make a interesting silhouette, plus the building isnt properly in shadow. The 4th is the best, lighten up the foreground a lot and you got a good pic!

If you're after a decent silhouette against a sunset then the sunset has to fill the sky and the object has to be properly dark, no of these really are! Maybe thats not what you were after but as they are they dont work unfortunately

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply. They are definitely appearing darker now on my mac than when I edited them on my home pc which has a rubbish monitor where the contrast appears to change depending on what angle you view it from. It definitely wasn't my intention for them to be quite so dark. I'll bring the RAW's into work and re-edit them on the mac and see what they look like.

Cheers

Chris

Back