Sunset geese

good elements here Jim but busted up by the direct sun and the contrails..not to mentionTHE TOWER!!!!
dont know if pp could do something for me here...but it does show the magic of those geese and the strong life they lead
cheers
geof

good elements here Jim but busted up by the direct sun and the contrails..not to mentionTHE TOWER!!!!
dont know if pp could do something for me here...but it does show the magic of those geese and the strong life they lead
cheers
geof

Hi Geoff, yes i agree about the tower, it was a grab shot (I'll try some cloning and might be able to remove it). Actually it was one of two and you might prefer the second one, I'll try and post that tomorrow.

I like the direct sun light though, and that was kind of the image I wanted, though I know it's not to everyone's taste. I do love shooting into a setting sun I must admit :)

@mrtoad , this was the preceeding shot, possibly a bit cleaner but I prefer the light from the setting sun in the first :)

sunset geese a2 by Jim, on Flickr

The oddity in the sky to the right above (behind) the 2nd goose isn't a PP artefact, its actually a little sun halo that was visible at the time.

Last edited:
Will the IQ hold up if you do a pano of just the geese in sihouette Jim?

I think that would work.
I've had a go, the IQ holds up fine with the silhouette crop but I think it loses a lot of the effects of the light, which for me adds, but then takes away again...

That second shot is MUCH better. No annoying TV transmitter mast... cleaner image. Out of focus backlit grass gives scale and context... lovely colours. Clean silhouetted geese.

That first one is just washed out, exposure is compromised, and just doesn't work as cleanly.

Sunsets are over rated :)

That second shot is MUCH better. No annoying TV transmitter mast... cleaner image. Out of focus backlit grass gives scale and context... lovely colours. Clean silhouetted geese.

That first one is just washed out, exposure is compromised, and just doesn't work as cleanly.

Sunsets are over rated :)

Cheers Pookeyhead, I agree. As I say, I do like shooting into the sunset but you have to get it so right and I missed it here, but I think that's because I shot at f/2.5, being a grab shot! Maybe if I'd closed down a bit it would look a little better but I agree the second one is cleaner, and the better image [emoji106]

Last edited:
the second shot is better...more idyllic with the wispy cloud shapes...and the wing shapes of the birds
it would be my choice
the grasses at the lower left and middle can be cloned out
far far better!!

the second shot is better...more idyllic with the wispy cloud shapes...and the wing shapes of the birds
it would be my choice
the grasses at the lower left and middle can be cloned out
far far better!!

Thanks Geoff [emoji106].

I quite like the grass to the left though, as Pookeyhead pointed out it gives it some depth and context, and I quite like the light on it :)

Thanks Geoff [emoji106].

I quite like the grass to the left though, as Pookeyhead pointed out it gives it some depth and context, and I quite like the light on it :)

maybe it could have been sharper then...but hard to do with limited dof
cheers
geof

maybe it could have been sharper then...but hard to do with limited dof
cheers
geof

No definitely wouldn't want it sharp, the shallower DOF helps separate it from the subject, otherwise it would lack context, distance scale and be far more of a distraction IMO?

No definitely wouldn't want it sharp, the shallower DOF helps separate it from the subject, otherwise it would lack context, distance scale and be far more of a distraction IMO?

agreed... did you intend the grasses to be in when you composed the shot though..?

Back