Critique Sunset Leveret

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys although I can't make the most of all this,I feel so unbelievably fortunate,a younger hare than this turned up in our garden yesterday,this picture is taken in a field in front of my house. when I'm here and not grafting meself into oblivion I have this going on right under my nose!! Twenty plus years we have been here it has never been this good and let's face it hares seem to be in decline,ha I might not be rich in money but hell I'd rather this!!

I blew it folks,got right up on him ,but the move to get above the long grass in the headland was too fast,he moved on. That left me with 100plus yards on my belly across some real hard clay (tough going in all senses of the word) with no cover what so ever. He bolted a few more yards away and I managed this.it's too far say 60% crop but still something to be improved upon and bloody hard won. It is a gift to have this happening on me doorstep and with time maybe i'll stop being a clutz and get this right!1 There so much potential here ,so wish I didn't work these stupid long hours.

_70F5033 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Canon1Div 300f2.8is plus ext 1.4iii
tv1/1250
AV f/4
iso 1000
all comments welcome especially constructive crit
take care all

Stu

Well worth the effort though, lovely light and not the normal hare pic (y)

Cheers Ingrid and DD. Lordy, Ingrid it was hard going a bit of dry and our clay sets like a rock.But yeah I'd do it again in a ...... 'erm snapshot:rolleyes:. So far i've not been completely lucky ,but am banking a few shots,when lady luck finally smiles on me there might to be some special pics ,if I do my bit right. I've had some really special moments already,just haven't quite managed to turn them into good images , sadly. We'll see I guess,but which ever way it goes I can't believe they are so close and seem to be doing really well,just need time and a bit of luck .It's been fantastic just being with them though as a guy that loves nature,that's almost enough :I spent half an hour with one sleeping/or dozing a week back,it woke and utterly without warning jumped up like some mad disco king,then the rascal just started munching grass. It never knew I was there and just ambled off I just had that one split second chance of something really quite out of the ordinary
Many thanks for taking the time to reply both

take care

Stu

Hi Stan, cheers for the reply,ha as I finished writing to Ingrid ,in a very battered state from grafting,Shaz said "your hare's there" and uncerimoniously dumped a heap of camo on the floor infront of me. . Sadly the sun that was shining as I pulled myself together went as I left the house,but there was hope as the somewhat black clouds were broken, Unfortunately the light never really came back. Having said that I learnt a bit more and got to do another long hard crawl. Me old bones had pretty much given up so I rolled on to me back and slowly sat up,this I managed to do without spooking my new mate . i'd decided that this time I was just going to be there with the little fella,pics would be secondary,so slapped on the 2x ext. The resulting pics are too far away and so what I'll show later will be not best IQ or great light!! That said I'm really hoping there might be more soon and the little guy might just get used to me before things change. If that does happen and things work out i'm going to be hugly lucky,I still can't believe all this,it's magical to have the adults full stop !! But to have two kids,of what appears to be different litters so two mums beggars belief. The smaller leveret has been back in our garden again while i'm out,so all digits crossed now,just need a bit of luck.

But for now some pics to show why I feel so damn lucky:banana: ,I mean who gets to be blessed to spend time with a baby hare,sure i'm battered and sure the wanna be tog hasn't really got it together yet but man what a joy. Damn hard won and truly it was hard to get to her, the old bones were properly creaking, lmao,But that gets forgotten with time, i'm pretty sure now that a hare grows into it's ears
:D

_70F5108 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5100 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5089 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5086 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5077 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5072 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5067 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

So not completely there yet, hence no numbers to tell me what you like I guess I know which one folks might go for,but an absolute joy,spending time with a little fella that I have never had chance to do before and guess few others have too

Ha, it is, i'm sure, the same guy as pictured in the opener, scale becomes somewhat more apparent now I think. i'm pretty sure mum was across the field watching me if anyone can give me more info on brown hares and their breeding strategies I'd be very grateful

take care folks

Stu

Hi Stu,
3rd last one, for me, is the pick of an amazing set of photos.
I love the walks with my dog in the countryside- it's a great way of allowing you to clear the mind and just appreciate the beauty all around us.
I've never managed to get closer than a hundred yards to any hare ( probably the dogs fault - nothing to do with my poor stalking skills)- so I'm very impressed.

Iain

Hiya Iain, thanks muchly mate,they are just a bit too far off,mainly because I was trying to get the little guy used to me and didn't want to spook her. Sadly she hasn't been seen since. Leveret predation by foxes can be pretty hard core from my reading. A single family of foxes can potentially wipe out all leverets bred in a season,so i'm really hoping that is not what has happened. The parents are still here though Iain,I dug deep and went out on sunday,got in close but sadly each and every pic was oof,I think somehow my MFA had moved for the 2X ext,god knows how. but all had to be binned

Yesterday eve like tonight the light was good,due to work pressure I had to have a go before the golden hour really kicked in. It was a struggle to drag meself out but I did,somehow. I'm really glad I did had an amazing time: got in on one who duly came towards me probably curiosity,damn me if another spotted the first and came dashing over,then all hell broke loose. Iain I always thought birds in flight to be tricky to track,but a hare full bore while lying on your front takes the damn biscuit .I failed miserably with my tracking,but that said even after the fella had chased the first lass away and I thought all was lost he came back to have a better look at me..

I think I have some nice stuff to follow mate,had them so close I could n't fit in frame at 420mm ,IQ looks much better than above wish I'd have had that experience with some stunning light ,but all is really positive.

Iain they can let one get close if they think they haven't been spotted I've lost count of the times one has gone up from my feet. But really what i'm doing is based on me not(hopefully) presenting myself as a threat to them and being completely in camo,face and hands covered,the smallest possible shape presented to them. Your dog, i'm guessing would almost certainly spook them as they would see him/her as a potential threat. They are amazing Iain,I wish I had more time,to make more of this incredible chance i've been given, I suspect it might be fairly short lived , it's really good right now,had 4 around me last night. I can't get over how much the face chances with a slight head turn,hopefully i'll get more chances soon .

Thanks for the reply mate and the kind words,do have a go they are so worth scrabbling about in the mud for:D

take care

Stu

Hey guys thanks muchly:),Russ call me Stu, buddy, everyone does. Russ I AM really lucky this is just incredible I can't believe how after all these years here this is now happening. It gets better my little mate above is good and well,after nearly two weeks of not seeing her I have these last few days There is.possibly a second one about in another corner of the field too aswell as the one we have seen in the garden which our neighbours have seen. I have at least 4 adults visiting and two are about to mate we had boxing the lot last night but sadly all too far away for pics. I guess I might be posting a few more pics of hare's shortly ;)

take care all

Stu

Thanks Daniel,ahh mate yes that sticking out tongue has me in stitches. Daniel they really stretch alot,I presume it's so they are always ready to do 0-50 in 3 seconds I have more to show shortly when I grab time I have an adult doing an arched back stretch,it looks very very strange:D.cheers for the reply Daniel

take care

stu

Back