Sunset over Buttermere

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Decided I'd return to Fleetwith Pike summit as the last time I was there conditions were pretty treacherous - rewarded with some lovely light overlooking Buttermere, these are the best 3 I got, the last one probably breaking a few rules of composition so I'm open to better suggestions on a possible crop (I've just noticed the dust bunny in the

Fleetwith Sunset by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Light on the Cairn by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Slopes of Fleetwith by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr[/IMG] Slopes of Fleetwith[/URL] by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Last edited:
1 and 3 are pretty good, not keen on the composition on no2 - it just looks weird! :D
If I had to pick one, it would be no3.

I like number one out of the group, Lovely scene, composition is very nice, It would be good to see of the shadows can be brought up in the foreground, lovely images though :):)

All lovely captures mate, but number 1 stands out for me. Number 2 with the cairn in the lake, it just doesn't work for me.

X2.

I think it's the off centre sunset and cairn to the left in the 1st has a more cohesive feeling to them.

One is class
Two is ok
There, ugly lens flare. I'd try remove it bit really the 1st image is so good the others just don't compare.

Last edited:
I love number one, nicely composed with lovely lighting. I think the other images detract from it as it deserves a thread of its own. (IMHO, of course!)

I love number one, nicely composed with lovely lighting. I think the other images detract from it as it deserves a thread of its own. (IMHO, of course!)
Much appreciated thanks, I stuck the others on just to show some variation but I'm glad people see no.1 as the best one as this was my aim setting out. I may return to no. 3 at some point under different conditions as I think it might make good mono

Well worth the effort going up there Stuart

I am wondering about the watermark...lensistrict?

No1 for me too, love the light on the foreground and as I said on your Flickr post the composition is a refreshing change to what is normally taken up there. Don't be surprised if you see a similar shot from me in the near future!

#1 is nice, lovely tones and light. Composition works well and conveys a feeling of serenity. #2 doesn't work for me, sorry. #3 is decent, unlike Steve (@ST4 ) I don't mind the flare too much :) Hard to avoid when shooting into the sun, and you always lose contrast.

#1 far and away the best of these.

No1 for me too, love the light on the foreground and as I said on your Flickr post the composition is a refreshing change to what is normally taken up there. Don't be surprised if you see a similar shot from me in the near future!
Thanks Dan much appreciated

these are stunning shots
Thanks Peter

#1 is nice, lovely tones and light. Composition works well and conveys a feeling of serenity. #2 doesn't work for me, sorry. #3 is decent, unlike Steve (@ST4 ) I don't mind the flare too much :) Hard to avoid when shooting into the sun, and you always lose contrast.

#1 far and away the best of these.
Yep my feelings too with regards to number one thanks

Love number 1. Shows perfectly how tranquil the lakes can be. I cannot wait to get back up there this year with my new camera

All lovely exposures, but actually #2 is the one that grabs me. I think the central composition drags you right into the image.

Love number 1. Shows perfectly how tranquil the lakes can be. I cannot wait to get back up there this year with my new camera
Thanks alot - just make sure you bring midgy repellent I was eaten alive taking these!

Really like the first image!
Thanks v.much

All lovely exposures, but actually #2 is the one that grabs me. I think the central composition drags you right into the image.
Haha just shows we all like something different! Thanks

I'm torn. I really like no 1, but no 2 isn't far off. I think it would possibly work better if the sun lined up with the cairn, rather than being very slightly off.
Either way, nice set. It was lovely weather last week in the Lakes, I was there on holiday, sadly didn't get out to shoot the sunsets though.

How did i miss this thread? Well i didn't because i looked through it before... I thought i'd commented, obviously loosing the plot!
No1 Love that, composition, all the little highlights of golden light on the grass in the immediate foreground, and the rays driving down into the foreground are cracking. IMHO a really great image, there just one little thing that bugs me! Over by High Stile (it must be) those two adjoining circles of flare just below the ridge.... They've gotta go!
No2 a nice shot and lots of comments about the composition... Consider something like this.. Or something like it this is a very rough Chop.
.Rough-Chops.jpg
Just a thought..........
The very last image is nice but a little cool. No1 eclipses them all.

Perfect set of images but I love the second one as the composition of the shot is quite unique and I found it very interesting

How did i miss this thread? Well i didn't because i looked through it before... I thought i'd commented, obviously loosing the plot!
No1 Love that, composition, all the little highlights of golden light on the grass in the immediate foreground, and the rays driving down into the foreground are cracking. IMHO a really great image, there just one little thing that bugs me! Over by High Stile (it must be) those two adjoining circles of flare just below the ridge.... They've gotta go!
No2 a nice shot and lots of comments about the composition... Consider something like this.. Or something like it this is a very rough Chop.
.View attachment 66467
Just a thought..........
The very last image is nice but a little cool. No1 eclipses them all.
Thanks Steve, I quite like that crop you've done, certainly focuses the attention a bit more. Regards the flare I'm not overly fussed by it but I can see what you mean.

Perfect set of images but I love the second one as the composition of the shot is quite unique and I found it very interesting

Thank alot (y)

Thanks Steve, I quite like that crop you've done, certainly focuses the attention a bit more. Regards the flare I'm not overly fussed by it but I can see what you mean.
Just seemed to me one solution "IF" you didn't like the composition that would put the elements on the thirds, Just a thought. Flare well thats just my OCD :)

Great pictures.

Is this the place that can be accessed from the top of Honister pass (parking at the slate mine) ?

We are up that way in a couple of weeks but we will have our elderly mums with us so I am planning on getting in some sunset/sunrise pictures to try be as sociable as possible during the day

Great pictures.

Is this the place that can be accessed from the top of Honister pass (parking at the slate mine) ?

We are up that way in a couple of weeks but we will have our elderly mums with us so I am planning on getting in some sunset/sunrise pictures to try be as sociable as possible during the day
Thanks Tony,

yes it's easily reachable from the slate mine, 35-50mins depending on your fitness - from there you can head on to Haystacks etc as well using the well marked path just below the summit of Fleetwith Pike.

Back