two light sources and their WB.

Not so nice is the no contact head pose of
the subject.

Reactions: Jez

Very nice is the well succeeded blend of the
two light sources and their WB.

the subject.

thanks for the feedback, do you mean the lack of eye contact?

do you mean the lack of eye contact?

Her head and regard are both turned away…
making her look quite unaccessible for no
apparent reason shown in the picture.

Unusual angle for a portrait but very effective.

Depends how you want to represent the subject. You want to give an impression of power, confidence, stature.... Seems good to me. Looking up adds some narrative to it. It's more engaging than the usual look to camera and smile b****x :)

the subject.

Why? Why must all portraits be at eye level and looking at the camera?

Her head and regard are both turned away…
making her look quite unaccessible for no
apparent reason shown in the picture.

Unacceptable to who? By who's standards?

Some serious lack of imagination in these forums.

BTW.. looks a little under exposed here... not much... half a stop perhaps.

Last edited:
I can sort of see what Kodiak means. Her eyes are staring into the sky but the upwards angle of the camera makes her eyes look odd. Just my personal opinion.

I can sort of see what Kodiak means. Her eyes are staring into the sky but the upwards angle of the camera makes her eyes look odd. Just my personal opinion.

Maybe that's for a reason. I can't say it looks odd. It looks like someone gazing up into the sky to me. I can appreciate what you mean... I just don't think it's a valid criticism, as it all depends on what the photographer intended to represent.

I really like this, her facial pose looks strong and thoughtful, empowered even, lovely light too :)

That's nice @Jez , I like the pose and the different from usual type of portrait, good composition with the subject looking into the frame, and some nice strong vibrant colours. Looks pretty powerful in my book.(y)

George.

Are you asking me? …got no idea!
Who's talking about unacceptable?

Apologies... I misread unaccessible as unacceptable.

Some serious haste at making strong judgement in this forum!

Not really. You say she looks inaccessible for no apparent reason, but you can never know what the reason is for doing that. There clearly was one, or he wouldn't have done it. It's taken too purposefully to be a "mistake" don't you think? I just make the assumption that the OP wanted to do this to empower the subject... make them look strong, or proud.. which it does. The gazing up at the sky could have any number of reasons... again.. without knowing why, it's not a valid criticism. Basically, you're judging it on prescriptive methods of portraiture. It's not at eye level and she's not looking to camera... unconventional = wrong in other words. Don't judge images on whether you like them or not. Liking an image is a measure of nothing except just that.

Maybe asking WHY it was shot as it was shot before making a judgement on it would be wiser. It's pretty obvious to anyone visually literate why it was shot the way it was shot though.

Last edited:
Why don't we ask Jez if he did mean it and if there was a reason for it before we all start.

I'm sure he'll tell us :)

Let's hope he's not been scared off. :)

my 2penneth, its a very nice shot which would in my opinion have worked better if the shot was taken from a higher viewpoint, shooting up the nose of people is not very flattering, and I think the shot would have been a lot better shot from the same height as the model

my 2penneth, its a very nice shot which would in my opinion have worked better if the shot was taken from a higher viewpoint, shooting up the nose of people is not very flattering, and I think the shot would have been a lot better shot from the same height as the model

Depends on whether he was trying to flatter or tell some other story. We'll have to wait for the OP.

You guys like ya banter don't ya :)
It's a nice shot for me my first thoughts were thats different looking so high in the sky, nothing wrong with that though just different. The most striking element for me was the the use of two light sources which as worked really well.

Gaz

Unsual angle? yes it is, but the pic works for me. It's a strong photo.

Hi, Thanks for all the responses...
first of all i come here for critique and opinions from people, its how i learn and i appreciate you taking the time,

the initial idea for the shot was to capture the model with the beautiful sunset as i've never really tried to do that and have recently taken delivery of a 4ft octobox, the reason for shooting up at first was to capture just the sky and not the horizon in the background(i just thought it looked better) but i instantly loved the perspective..
The model is my fiancé and is very strong woman and we soon found a pose that reinforced that....

cheers Jez

Back